Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:14:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any trustable e-wallet services?  (Read 3233 times)
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2012, 02:24:40 PM

Did ya'll know InstaWallet is now owned by Paytunia? I had a support question and the return email address from from that domain.

I trust InstaWallet/Paytunia and use them all the time. However, I'm starting to use EasyWallet a lot more now simply because I give noobs free bitcents through them so they can see a dollar value.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 11:13:05 AM
Last edit: May 22, 2012, 01:07:45 PM by Kris

Oh another possibility to blatantly advertise eWallets. I'll bite.

Just because of the Secure Card.

Oh I should make that a trademark...

"Just because Secure Card(tm)"

How awesome is that?
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 01:24:08 PM

Just checked it out... Novel secure card is novelty!   Shocked

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 01:37:17 PM

Ok I'll bite what is the secure card?  I went to the site expecting some hardware crypto type solution an I see a normal "trust me" e-wallet.  Am I missing something?
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 01:41:10 PM

it's like a password card, with a pseudo-random distribution of numbers. Each time you want to spend, you must provide a unique sequence of numbers. If you sign up, you'll see how it works in the dashboard.

Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 08:50:37 PM

Are there any trustable e-wallet services? I'm looking for one that allows multiple wallets in one account.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: Depends on the amount. For large amounts, no; for small amoutns see the rest of this thread. Also depends on amount of time you intend to save your bitcoins in e-wallets. the longer you keep it in there the more money you keep in there the more risks you take.

-
Nunud

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 08:32:15 AM

blockchain.info? Best part is you don't even need to trust them Smiley

How so? Do these guys have a special status in the BitCoin community?

(Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm still learning about who is who!  Wink)
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 10:46:32 AM

Well, the point was that you don't need to trust Blockchain.info because the service does not hold your private keys, they are encrypted/decrypted in the browser locally. Blockchain.info also provides a validator to check that the Javascript from Blockchain.info has not been compromised.

It's also true that piuk, the guy who runs Blockchain.info, is respected in this community. He is doing a good job with Blockchain.info.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Nunud

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 10:55:47 AM

Well, the point was that you don't need to trust Blockchain.info because the service does not hold your private keys, they are encrypted/decrypted in the browser locally. Blockchain.info also provides a validator to check that the Javascript from Blockchain.info has not been compromised.

It's also true that piuk, the guy who runs Blockchain.info, is respected in this community. He is doing a good job with Blockchain.info.

Ahaaah! Ok thanks! Smiley

I like their wallet service very much, but it would be even better if it transformed into an actual icon, once added to the home screen on iOS devices... Kind of like Google Reader does...
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 11:07:54 AM

Are there any trustable e-wallet services? I'm looking for one that allows multiple wallets in one account.

This kind of mindset ("one cannot trust anyone in the bitcoin community") is exactly what can delay a broader adoption of bitcoin.

IMHO, Bitcoin is not about removing the need for trusted third party (they will be needed for as long as there are dishonest counterparties in electronic transactions):
its about giving people the freedom to chose between transacting directly or transacting through a trusted third party.

Vladimir

Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:14:58 AM

This kind of mindset ("one cannot trust anyone in the bitcoin community") is exactly what can delay a broader adoption of bitcoin.

IMHO, Bitcoin is not about removing the need for trusted third party (they will be needed for as long as there are dishonest counterparties in electronic transactions):
its about giving people the freedom to chose between transacting directly or transacting through a trusted third party.

Maybe you are correct. I, however, prefer to have my bitcoins safe and sound and to "trust nobody". For me it is better for Bitcoin to take twice that long to get mass adoption, then to get myself a X kBTC MyBitcoin moment.

So far my approach worked for me just fine. I bet many fans of "trusted" 3rd parties cannot say so.

Also you have conveniently forgot to quote this:

Longer answer: Depends on the amount...

-
Nunud

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:25:33 AM

I guess offline storage for the 'bulk' of your stuff, and online wallets for day-to-day operations would be a reasonable way of going about this...  Tongue
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 02:03:03 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2012, 02:21:08 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I guess offline storage for the 'bulk' of your stuff, and online wallets for day-to-day operations would be a reasonable way of going about this...  Tongue

Yeah Bitcoin is somewhat unique in that you don't need access to the wallet in order to receive money.  You only need access to send.

So it is pretty easy to setup an online wallet for day to day stuff and then include your offline wallet address in the addressbook to "sweep" funds to the offline wallet.  I would still recommend something like blockchain.info or strongcoin where the operator doesn't have access to the keys.
Nunud

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 02:15:50 PM

I guess offline storage for the 'bulk' of your stuff, and online wallets for day-to-day operations would be a reasonable way of going about this...  Tongue

Yeah Bitcoin is somewhat unique in that you don't need access to the wallet in order to receive money.  So pretty easy to setup an online wallet (I would still recommend something like blockchain.info or strongcoin where the operator doesn't have the keys) for day to day stuff and then setup your offline wallet address in the addressbook and "sweep" excess funds there.

Logical!  Wink
kangasbros

Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 02:44:35 PM

I don't see any problem trusting e-wallet services with small amounts of bitcoins. For larger amounts, I recommend to use more elaborate setup.

Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:41:45 PM

I often use online wallets to do local face-to-face exchanges. I have seen transactions as large as 750 BTC sit in an InstaWallet for several hours (confirming, waiting for the meeting, etc).. Then we just exchange the cash and wallet URL.. there's no waiting around for confirmiing. Point is, for short term storage of Bitcoins, it seems a reasonable risk.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: