Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:41:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 25 Bitcoins vanished into the air suddently PLEASE HELP!  (Read 2023 times)
unixunderground (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:49:04 PM

Hi,
I've got a HUGE problem.
I don't have any idea of how this could possibly have happened , but my bitcoins practically just vanished into the air....

Here are the steps describing what I did:
1.I had 25 bitcoins trasfered from Intersango to an Instawallet address of mine. (and everything went well, they got there and were usable after 20 minutes)
2.I then created a new wallet on blockchain.info , and accesseded it, clicked on "receive money" , I then generated a few random addresses as a mistake, deleted all of them but two, copied one of the addresses left (1Tcs13Fd6YXudzCx6vMjEmeZcC6LYTdxy) and pasted it into the instawallet "send money" link.
3.Instawallet sent the money to the address I had 5 secs before copied from blockchain ,and I was quite sure everything was going all right.

But then, god, as soon as the transaction finished and instawallet market the whole thing as "sent" , I re-logged in into my  blockchain account, and well 0,00 bitcoins, I then thought, "mh, it's going to take a while", so I clicked again the "receive bitcoins" options, and HECK! the "receive" bitcoin address I sent the money to, that I had generated 1 minute earlier (1Tcs13Fd6YXudzCx6vMjEmeZcC6LYTdxy) into that wallet was no longer into my account!!! (here a screenshot: http://d.pr/i/8mB7)
And the "archived addresses" thing is 100% empty even though I had archived several of them (as I said earlier I had created quite some addresses as a mistake). (here a screenshot of the empty archived section http://d.pr/i/dJ5P)

I then got back to instawallet, and it said that the transaction had been sucessfuly sent ( screenshoot:http://d.pr/i/482Z) but hell!! (I am sorry for swearing but I am screwed if I can't get back my money) the address I sent the money to that a second earlier had been generated into my blockchain account, no longer existed there!!!!!

Just what the h. could have possibly happened?

Here is the transaction thing: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1Tcs13Fd6YXudzCx6vMjEmeZcC6LYTdxy and here  the code thing  " a5c69509ffc474ca5107fb2bf7d66fe12a5fa54cd200b6704c28e68738aeb92f "

Please help, I am really screwed if this doesen't get fixed..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 09:57:14 PM

Yeah the funds went to 1Tcs13Fd6YXudzCx6vMjEmeZcC6LYTdxy.

If you don't have the private key for that address the funds are lost.
For security reasons blockchain.info has no way to regenerate private keys.
unixunderground (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:00:46 PM

Yeah the funds went to 1Tcs13Fd6YXudzCx6vMjEmeZcC6LYTdxy.

If you don't have the private key for that address the funds are lost.
For security reasons blockchain.info has no way to regenerate private keys.

But how in the world is it possible that 1Tcs13Fd6YXudzCx6vMjEmeZcC6LYTdxy was first generated into my blockchain.info account, and as soon as I sent money to it (and it still appeared  into my account)  I refreshed and it was gone?
ryu-fk

Activity: 51

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:01:42 PM

I dont think anyone here can do much, you are better off emailing the owner of the blockchains.info (support@pi.uk.com)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:07:56 PM

But how in the world is it possible that 1Tcs13Fd6YXudzCx6vMjEmeZcC6LYTdxy was first generated into my blockchain.info account, and as soon as I sent money to it (and it still appeared  into my account)  I refreshed and it was gone?

Maybe you deleted it?  You said you did a lot of generate, delete, generate, delete.  Possibly deleted the wrong one.

I don't know.  I doubt anyone will ever know.  If you don't have a backup or possibly a different blockchain.info account and the account doesn't contain the private key well there is no recovery.
unixunderground (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:22:46 PM

Maybe you deleted it?  You said you did a lot of generate, delete, generate, delete.  Possibly deleted the wrong one.

I don't know.  I doubt anyone will ever know.  If you don't have a backup or possibly a different blockchain.info account and the account doesn't contain the private key well there is no recovery.

I am quite sure I didnt, I did at least a triple check .. And even if I did, shouldnt it  (the old address) appear in the archived ones?

Anyway I ve sent an email to the blockchain administrator.. but at this point I am beginning to think that I might be doomed..

Could the problem have arisen from me using the wallet from tor browser? And that maybe the connection fell  while the new addresses (the one I used included) were being generated, making it so that they did not get saved to my account or something?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:41:14 PM

I guess anything is possible but once added to your wallet I have never seen blockchain "erase" an address.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all but for the next time you may wish to consider:
a) make an offline (paper) backup.
b) send a test tx of a few bitcents.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 10:56:59 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2012, 11:10:21 PM by Stephen Gornick

But how in the world is it possible that 1Tcs13Fd6YXudzCx6vMjEmeZcC6LYTdxy was first generated into my blockchain.info account, and as soon as I sent money to it (and it still appeared  into my account)  I refreshed and it was gone?

Could it be that you created a wallet, then used "start a new wallet" and created another (and no longer have the link to the previous one)?  (or created one from a second browser / or one in incognito mode perhaps)?

If that is what happened, then you can get the link to it back via e-mail address.  (or use the alias if you created one)

piuk might even be able to find the link for the earlier one.

I'm guessing you didn't save a backup of the wallet, as that would have the address in it.

You could also try logging in from a different computer and having it pull a clean copy of the wallet to see if you get the same results.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
May 15, 2012, 11:33:23 PM

Here's a long-shot: Are you running Windows?
If yes, are you running up-to-date malware protection?
If no, there's an OK chance that you have a keylogger. Monitor your outgoing connections and see if you can catch the data being sent or find the logfile.

I actually recovered a password through this technique once.
unixunderground (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 05:33:05 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2012, 05:46:28 AM by unixunderground

I guess anything is possible but once added to your wallet I have never seen blockchain "erase" an address.
Hindsight being 20/20 and all but for the next time you may wish to consider:
a) make an offline (paper) backup.
b) send a test tx of a few bitcents.

Me neither, and thats why this seems absurd to me..
But thanks for the advice, I will definitely test out addresses at least one time and have offline backups from this day on..

But how in the world is it possible that 1Tcs13Fd6YXudzCx6vMjEmeZcC6LYTdxy was first generated into my blockchain.info account, and as soon as I sent money to it (and it still appeared  into my account)  I refreshed and it was gone?
Could it be that you created a wallet, then used "start a new wallet" and created another (and no longer have the link to the previous one)?  (or created one from a second browser / or one in incognito mode perhaps)?
If that is what happened, then you can get the link to it back via e-mail address.  (or use the alias if you created one)
piuk might even be able to find the link for the earlier one.
I'm guessing you didn't save a backup of the wallet, as that would have the address in it.
You could also try logging in from a different computer and having it pull a clean copy of the wallet to see if you get the same results.
I tried from a different computer but still no address and 0,0

And no, unfortunately I did not associate an email nor create an alias, as I was planning to use it as a "one-time/disposable" wallet (that was stupid I guess)

Here's a long-shot: Are you running Windows?
If yes, are you running up-to-date malware protection?
If no, there's an OK chance that you have a keylogger. Monitor your outgoing connections and see if you can catch the data being sent or find the logfile.
I actually recovered a password through this technique once.
Yes, I am indeed running Windows, but it is a fresh install I did less than a week ago (I normally use OSX and various versions of Linux/BSD for my "everyday use") as I wasn't able to use the GPG encryption system on Linux, and needed a more "user-friendly/easy" way of doing it (and that's where the windows install came in)

But I did not download any questionable software which could potentially have contained  some trojan/"undesired extra addon"... so I don't really see how that could be possible...

I am running a complete scan now anyway...

Anyway, I managed to access the history of the browser I was using yesterday, and this is what I got up: http://d.pr/i/4d5m
It seems like I copied the link to the address I had just generated, and opened it into another browser (the one I was using, Firefox Aurora/Tor browser, seemed to no longer respond at all/sort of crashed)

So here is what I find rather strange.. If I go to that address I found in my log,  (https://blockchain.info/address/1Tcs13Fd6YXudzCx6vMjEmeZcC6LYTdxy , the one I sent the money to that had been generated from my wallet) (or at least seemed to have been) I can see my transaction (the 24.87 one) but the address it was sent from (per image: 15BBSAsoZAzq5GAey4wunoM42sQHkjiGrQ ) is not mine!

The one I did in fact send the transaction from was "1M9EVAxN1tNf9HsiRrRd7iEtpFYQGYWsT2" ,so how is it possible that 15BBSAsoZAzq5GAey4wunoM42sQHkjiGrQ  appears instead?

And also, if I go on the block chain explorer, and search my unique transaction code, I can see that the money I sent appears as "not redeemed yet" (image: http://d.pr/i/qR3A )
What exactly does that mean?

Thanks again to everyone that is trying to help me out ...

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 06:02:19 AM

The one I did in fact send the transaction from was "1M9EVAxN1tNf9HsiRrRd7iEtpFYQGYWsT2" ,so how is it possible that 15BBSAsoZAzq5GAey4wunoM42sQHkjiGrQ  appears instead?

InstaWallet is a shared (hosted) E-wallet.  The address they give you is for receiving payments, but the coin they use for withdrawals is from their wallet.

And also, if I go on the block chain explorer, and search my unique transaction code, I can see that the money I sent appears as "not redeemed yet" (image: http://d.pr/i/qR3A )

Not redeemed, meaning it hasn't yet been spent.   Unfortunately, it sounds like it never will be either. 

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 06:05:03 AM

After generating a new address, I believe you have to give it some time to sync with the copy on the server. If you refresh immediately, the private keys may be lost.

P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 06:27:02 AM

Blockchain is clearly having issues. Look here:
https://www.blockchain.info/blocks

All blocks are listed as orphaned.
I dont want to give you any false hope but there is a slight change your problem is related and your coins will eventually reappear

unixunderground (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 06:31:23 AM

After generating a new address, I believe you have to give it some time to sync with the copy on the server. If you refresh immediately, the private keys may be lost.

Yeah , I am beginning to think that the sync process may be were the problem emerged.

What I think basically could have happened, is that I created that address using Firefox Aurora (bundled w/Tor Browser), and given the instabile nature of the Tor Network, what might have happened is that the address got created, but not synced to the server (even if it apperead to have been, given the not-presence of an "unsynced" warning like in this photo http://d.pr/f/7LOK) and since the Tor browser crashed shortly after, I'm thinking that the address I thought I was using for receiving my money just "vanished" as it never really existed in fact, given the not-working sync....

Could that be plausible ?

Blockchain is clearly having issues. Look here:
https://www.blockchain.info/blocks

All blocks are listed as orphaned.
I dont want to give you any false hope but there is a slight change your problem is related and your coins will eventually reappear

That, or maybe the issue is indeed on blokchain's side as you're saying (It seems impossible to me that an address would not sync, without a "not-synced" warning appearing)

Well, I really hope that the second option is the cause at this point...
I have sent an email to the blockchain admin, and I will see what he's got to say..

InstaWallet is a shared (hosted) E-wallet.  The address they give you is for receiving payments, but the coin they use for withdrawals is from their wallet.

Not redeemed, meaning it hasn't yet been spent.   Unfortunately, it sounds like it never will be either.  
Yeah, you're right, I had somehow forgot of it being a "shared" e-wallet.. At least that one strange thing is accounted for..
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 07:15:37 AM

what might have happened is that the address got created, but not synced to the server (even if it apperead to have been, given the not-presence of an "unsynced" warning like in this photo http://d.pr/f/7LOK) and since the Tor browser crashed shortly after, I'm thinking that the address I thought I was using for receiving my money just "vanished" as it never really existed in fact, given the not-working sync....

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40264.msg841645#msg841645
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75673.msg842474#msg842474

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

unixunderground (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 08:03:34 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2012, 08:23:35 AM by unixunderground

what might have happened is that the address got created, but not synced to the server (even if it apperead to have been, given the not-presence of an "unsynced" warning like in this photo http://d.pr/f/7LOK) and since the Tor browser crashed shortly after, I'm thinking that the address I thought I was using for receiving my money just "vanished" as it never really existed in fact, given the not-working sync....

So I basically got hitted by some sort of system bug..

Technically that's not entirely my fault, if at all.. Sure, I could have used a more stable internet connection,and tested the address before sending the full amount, but still, blockchain should have displayed the address as not synced as the other users are saying on that post you linked...

Shame on blockchain ..
Even if this causes a somewhat huge problem for me (including the transfer fees, about 150$ vanished because of this f.in bug,and I was conducting the transaction on behalf of some acquaintances , and as a non-working student I don't have enough money left to counterbalance what just happened) , one and a half benjamin is still "nothing" for the bitcoin ecosystem..
BUT, the real problem is, what would happen if the same f.in bug, or something equivalent, made disappear 10000k+ bitcoins in some sort of bugged transaction?

Now , I suppose that the parts involved in an hypothetical  transaction of such epic proportions , would surely take lots of precautions... but still, this is anyway a real (and huge) problem!
And I could see people losing tons of money (not "just" 150$) because of this..

I guess I will never be using, nor reccomending blockchain anymore..

Too bad since I really liked the concept of "ewallet", but I guess that a client privately back-upped on Linux ->Dropbox/Google Drive will be the only thing I'll be using in future..

Or actually, does anybody know if someone is offering some sort of "bitcoin-insured "premium" ewallet"?
In otherwords, something that does have an OPPOSITE policy to the following:

Qkos Services Ltd takes no responsibility for and will not be liable for any financial loss arising from the use of our My Wallet service including any of the following.

Financial loss due to wallet data being "Bruteforced".
Financial loss due to server failure or data loss.
Financial loss due to forgotten passwords
Financial loss due to corrupted wallet files.
Financial loss due to incorrectly constructed transactions or mistyped bitcoin addresses
Financial loss due to "phishing" or other websites masquerading as blockchain.info
(of course with a note specifying that any loss due to an user's negligence would not be accountable for)

I would be happy to pay for something like that...
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 16, 2012, 08:11:29 AM

So I basically got hitted by some sort of system bug..

Technically that's not entirely my fault, if at all.. Sure, I could have used a more stable internet connection, but still, blockchain should have displayed the address as not synced as the other users are saying on that post you linked...

Shame on blockchain..
Even if this causes a somewhat huge problem for me (including the transfer fees, about 150$ vanished because of this f.in bug,and I was conducting the transaction on behalf of some acquaintances , and as a non-working student I don't have enough money left to counterbalance what just happened) , one and a half benjamin is still "nothing" for the bitcoin ecosystem..
BUT, the real problem is, what would happen if the same f.in bug, or something equivalent, made disappear 10000k+ bitcoins in some sort of bugged transaction?

Now , I suppose that the parts involved in an hypothetical  transaction of such epic proportions , would surely take lots of precautions... but still, this is anyway a real (and huge) problem!
And I could see people losing tons of money (not "just" 150$) because of this..

I guess I will never be using, nor reccomending blockchain anymore..

Too bad since I really liked the concept of "ewallet", but I guess that a client privately back-upped on Linux ->Dropbox/Google Drive will be the only thing I'll be using in future..

Or actually, does anybody know if someone is offering some sort of "bitcoin-insurace premium ewallet"?
In otherwords, something that does have an OPPOSITE policy to the following:

Code:
Qkos Services Ltd takes no responsibility for and will not be liable for any financial loss arising from the use of our My Wallet service including any of the following.

Financial loss due to wallet data being "Bruteforced".
Financial loss due to server failure or data loss.
Financial loss due to forgotten passwords
Financial loss due to corrupted wallet files.
Financial loss due to incorrectly constructed transactions or mistyped bitcoin addresses
Financial loss due to "phishing" or other websites masquerading as blockchain.info
(of course with a note specifying that any loss due to an user's negligence would not be accoutable)

I would be happy to pay for something like that...

To answer the 10K BTC question, anyone silly enough to leave such a big account on an online wallet should be prepared for all kinds of risks.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: