We need a site to refer all press persons to (do it with some clever SEO).
In big, red letters, tell them to investigate Bitcoin for at least 6 months before writing a single word about it.
At the same time, we as a community can learn something from this ignorance. I'm sure he won't be, and equally sure he hasn't been, the only financial or technology analyst to completely miff the concept behind Bitcoin.
The question is, what can WE do to really make things more clear for people to help them understand more quickly and more accurately?
Yes, putting my sarcastic comments aside, I would agree that this is a real problem that should be addressed.
Maybe on some of the more popular sites (weusecoins, for example), a link/page could be dedicated to "Press". On said page, it bullet-points common misconceptions about Bitcoin that have been prevalent in the past.
- Bitcoin is not a fiat currency.
- Bitcoin rules cannot be changed at the whim of a single person.
- The Bitcoin system itself is secure and unhackable - it is the people who leave their servers/computers unsecured that are at fault.
- Etc, etc, etc.
I think this is a good place to start: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths
But, at the same time, I think this could use some updating, condensing, and articulating.
1) What Bitcoin is versus what it is not
2) Compare/contrast Bitcoin to other types of currencies (fiat, precious metals, other digital currency attempts)
3) A Bitcoin Timeline highlighting significant events with concurrent explanations
4) Links to press articles that got it dead wrong with concurrent explanations