Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:55:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who made CGMiner?  (Read 1845 times)
Zeta0S (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 03:56:39 AM

Who made the first Mining program CGMiner (or was it bfgminer)

Satoshi himself?

Get a HUGE 3% discount with promo code: MOON @ Genesis Mining
https://www.genesis-mining.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 04:19:04 AM

Cgminer is a fork of cpuminer, originally developed by Jeff Garzik, cgminer was forked and subsequently developed by Con Kolivas, and later user Kano, although their attitudes need to be fixed.

Right now though, cgminer is overbloated. Thousand of lines of code just to mine. Needs to be rewritten from scratch. So far it has served to prove that knowing the linux kernel inside-out does not mean one can code well.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Vortex20000

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 04:20:44 AM

CK.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4060
Merit: 1622

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 04:50:53 AM

@RRT5ON, nice troll.

I wrote it. The original cpuminer code was from jgarzik, who satoshi himself asked him to write. I forked cpuminer when I took over ownership of it and added GPU mining.

The github tree has the full history of it:
https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer

It has evolved over time to change dramatically according to what has been happening in bitcoin mining. Most people who troll the way RRT5ON did above do so because I removed the GPU and scrypt mining code and concentrated only on bitcoin mining and they hate that I sidelined altcoins in the process. Any complaints about it being bloated and that it needs to be rewritten from scratch forget the speed and dramatic evolution that mining has had over that time period, the bulk of which was due to the rapid development of cgminer, and any legacy code that's in there is because of that rapid development. Rewriting it from scratch now would achieve very little, though there is definitely a lot of code still in there that serves no purpose in today's mining. However code that is only rarely used doesn't cost anything to be there.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:06:44 AM

@RRT5ON, nice troll.
You certainly would like it to be so. And it's not about scrypt/gpu mining(I wonder how you even arrived at this), I am not a miner anymore. And you and me, we go way back, early days of cgminer when I even paid you to implement something, which you failed to do so, what you wrote wasn't even correct. But that aside, the code *is* overbloated. It's purpose is to hash(well, with asics, it doesn't even need to do this except to verify), yet I see so much redundant code.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 05:21:24 AM
Last edit: October 12, 2014, 04:42:17 AM by ckolivas

@RRT5ON, nice troll.
You certainly would like it to be so. And it's not about scrypt/gpu mining(I wonder how you even arrived at this), I am not a miner anymore. And you and me, we go way back, early days of cgminer when I even paid you to implement something, which you failed to do so, what you wrote wasn't even correct. But that aside, the code *is* overbloated. It's purpose is to hash(well, with asics, it doesn't even need to do this except to verify), yet I see so much redundant code.
Ask for a refund? I don't recall it. Though I recall when you started attacking me.

I'm not Kano, yet people associate me with his behaviour, and unlike him, I am affected when people attack me. It's strange working hard for a community and generating lots of code only to get shat on.

-ck
Zeta0S (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 05:59:44 AM

@RRT5ON, nice troll.

I wrote it. The original cpuminer code was from jgarzik, who satoshi himself asked him to write. I forked cpuminer when I took over ownership of it and added GPU mining.

The github tree has the full history of it:
https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer

It has evolved over time to change dramatically according to what has been happening in bitcoin mining. Most people who troll the way RRT5ON did above do so because I removed the GPU and scrypt mining code and concentrated only on bitcoin mining and they hate that I sidelined altcoins in the process. Any complaints about it being bloated and that it needs to be rewritten from scratch forget the speed and dramatic evolution that mining has had over that time period, the bulk of which was due to the rapid development of cgminer, and any legacy code that's in there is because of that rapid development. Rewriting it from scratch now would achieve very little, though there is definitely a lot of code still in there that serves no purpose in today's mining. However code that is only rarely used doesn't cost anything to be there.

Thank you for writing the program CKolivas :-)

Question, what program Satoshi used before you made CGMiner? Sure Satoshi he tested his bitcoin program whit some early bitcoin try outs?

Get a HUGE 3% discount with promo code: MOON @ Genesis Mining
https://www.genesis-mining.com
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2014, 06:11:34 AM

Question, what program Satoshi used before you made CGMiner? Sure Satoshi he tested his bitcoin program whit some early bitcoin try outs?
Satoshi had disappeared before I made cgminer but was around when JGarzik created cpu miner. There is generation code in the bitcoind client that mined on the CPU but it is no longer built into the client since CPU mining is pointless. It has actually been postulated that in the early days Satoshi had his own custom mining software based on the unique pattern of the blocks he generated with it. I forget the details but there are other forum threads discussing it.

-ck
goozman96

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 04:38:23 PM

This is the first I'm hearing about Satoshi having custom mining software based on block patterns. Could you please link me to the thread where that is being discussed? Sounds interesting!

BTC: 19DKtsdGfQyFzNiEze9KuFQrWGiLDvg6F1 | LTC: LbV6UGyjYbVP49NvQFmuAnkADcaFYvNagK | NMC: NDCdMJmTmGH54Cezmo3CwSxAC7grAoZJbj
smolen

Activity: 524

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 11:14:28 PM

This is the first I'm hearing about Satoshi having custom mining software based on block patterns. Could you please link me to the thread where that is being discussed? Sounds interesting!
The idea is that the LSB of of the 32-bit nonce value of all blocks supposedly mined by Satoshi have a very strange probability distribution.

Of course I gave you bad advice. Good one is way out of your price range.
goozman96

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 11:40:46 PM

The idea is that the LSB of of the 32-bit nonce value of all blocks supposedly mined by Satoshi have a very strange probability distribution.

Awesome, thanks! Should be an interesting read.

BTC: 19DKtsdGfQyFzNiEze9KuFQrWGiLDvg6F1 | LTC: LbV6UGyjYbVP49NvQFmuAnkADcaFYvNagK | NMC: NDCdMJmTmGH54Cezmo3CwSxAC7grAoZJbj
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 01:53:16 PM

Satoshi had disappeared before I made cgminer but was around when JGarzik created cpu miner. There is generation code in the bitcoind client that mined on the CPU but it is no longer built into the client since CPU mining is pointless. It has actually been postulated that in the early days Satoshi had his own custom mining software based on the unique pattern of the blocks he generated with it. I forget the details but there are other forum threads discussing it.

I believe the generation code is still built and used in testnet, if anyone wants to try that out.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: