Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:26:51 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: im done  (Read 3194 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 10:35:21 AM

So long.  Be sure to come back and let us know how fiat is working out for you from time to time.

the OP's issue is the fact that 99.9% of this alt community is in it for the fiat  Cry

fucking true, they talk about crypto, but all they want is fiat, i'm still converting everything in bitcoin
Bombadil

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 11:15:50 AM

So long.  Be sure to come back and let us know how fiat is working out for you from time to time.

the OP's issue is the fact that 99.9% of this alt community is in it for the fiat  Cry

fucking true, they talk about crypto, but all they want is fiat, i'm still converting everything in bitcoin

I've been mining since January this year, and never converted anything to fiat. Ok, I only have a few GPUs and electricity included in rent, so I don't need to.
Crypto is my fancy-playmoney, my heart would shatter if I sold it for fiat Tongue I don't care about BTC/USD, only altcoins/BTC Wink

But 'lately', even altcoin/BTC profitmining has been low. That's why I currently decide to mine coins that I honestly like but are pretty small in community, to support their networks hashrate.
sdersdf3

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 02:54:26 PM

The Altcoin section is pretty savage. Going there is like driving through that side of town where you lock your doors and hope you don't run out of gas.

It's gotten pretty bad - no doubt about it.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:19:52 PM

The Altcoin section is pretty savage. Going there is like driving through that side of town where you lock your doors and hope you don't run out of gas.

It's been bad for a long time. I stopped even looking at the alt section when I stopped mining ltc with cpu and btc with video cards at the same time. Between the coin attacks, scammers, death threats and other bullshit in the alt section I'm surprised theymos hasn't eliminated this section altogether. I know why he keeps it though. The altcoins and this section bring more visitors to the forum than all of the other sections combined including the other language sections. More hits to the forum means more ad revenue.

sdersdf3

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:34:55 PM

It's been bad for a long time. I stopped even looking at the alt section when I stopped mining ltc with cpu and btc with video cards at the same time. Between the coin attacks, scammers, death threats and other bullshit in the alt section I'm surprised theymos hasn't eliminated this section altogether. I know why he keeps it though. The altcoins and this section bring more visitors to the forum than all of the other sections combined including the other language sections. More hits to the forum means more ad revenue.

There are signs we're seeing a secular (rather than just cyclical) decline in interest and trading volume across multiple exchanges  - and not just in altcoins but bitcoins as well. New money isn't coming in and old money is moving out. Rallies that used to last days are now hour-long blips. No coin seems to stay on top gainers lists for more than a day or so. I don't know where this forum is headed, but the altcoin markets already seem to be fading.

One of the biggest signs of this is that even the twitter celebrities are complaining and, most importantly, behaving like the good times are over or near over. Check out IconicExpert - he's planning on doing an ICO, a remarkable indication (no matter what he says) that he no longer feels there's much money to be made from trading (and dumping on other people) as there used to be. Cobain just spouts random jokes - doesnt bother recommending anything any more.

If you look at the various altcoin threads, the ferocity of coin-on-coin attacks shows the pie is shrinking for everyone, making people fight more fiercely over what's perceived to be a shrinking pie.

Bitcoin offered a golden opportunity for innovation and creativity and empire building - but so many have squandered that opportunity.

I am hopeful that some exceptions will arise from the dreck and bring back better times, and not just for insiders. Until then, I do an occasional peak for needle in a haystack, but I dont take most of these [ANN]'s very seriously as much other than BTC-vacuums. Most people here do not seem to be interested in building a principled crypto ecosystem here.
rabbiter

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 03:50:11 PM

The greed you speak of is an inherent trait of humanity. It defines the very world you live in, you cannot escape it just by shifting your focus from cryptos to something else, it's everywhere. You'll have to try and change the world if you really feel strongly about it Smiley
Or you could consider letting the greedy be greedy so long as you know you're not greedy. And if you feel sorry for those investors who are losing money, well they are just as greedy as the rest. There is no lesser or greater greed, it's just greed  Cheesy

Why does the desire to gain wealth have such a negative word as greed?

many on here are from 2nd or even 3rd world countries that are striving to make some money that many in first world countries are born with. It's easy to call others greedy when you already have wealth, home, car, job etc.

What about the idea of bettering ones life and loved ones and gaining economic freedom to live the life you want. Is that greed?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 04:38:27 PM

There are signs we're seeing a secular (rather than just cyclical) decline in interest and trading volume across multiple exchanges  - and not just in altcoins but bitcoins as well. New money isn't coming in and old money is moving out. Rallies that used to last days are now hour-long blips. No coin seems to stay on top gainers lists for more than a day or so. I don't know where this forum is headed, but the altcoin markets already seem to be fading.

One of the biggest signs of this is that even the twitter celebrities are complaining and, most importantly, behaving like the good times are over or near over. Check out IconicExpert - he's planning on doing an ICO, a remarkable indication (no matter what he says) that he no longer feels there's much money to be made from trading (and dumping on other people) as there used to be. Cobain just spouts random jokes - doesnt bother recommending anything any more.

If you look at the various altcoin threads, the ferocity of coin-on-coin attacks shows the pie is shrinking for everyone, making people fight more fiercely over what's perceived to be a shrinking pie.

Bitcoin offered a golden opportunity for innovation and creativity and empire building - but so many have squandered that opportunity.

I am hopeful that some exceptions will arise from the dreck and bring back better times, and not just for insiders. Until then, I do an occasional peak for needle in a haystack, but I dont take most of these [ANN]'s very seriously as much other than BTC-vacuums. Most people here do not seem to be interested in building a principled crypto ecosystem here.

I agree completely. In early 2011 you couldn't respond to a thread in Bitcoin discussion, regardless of the topic, without an immediate response from someone else. Now I hardly see anyone that I talked to back then on the forum. New people seem far more scarce than they used to be and it can take as much as a day for an answer to appear in a thread.

When you click on "show unread posts since last visit: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=unread what you see now is a bunch of Altcoin threads, a few marketplace threads and Bitcoin wall observer thread (wannabe speculators trolling). Less and less people are coming here for Bitcoin.

Everyone is excited that VC money is bringing new businesses to Bitcoin. Anyone can accept Bitcoin but that doesn't mean customers are ever going to show up at your business with a pocket full of Bitcoin ready to spend. There are still lots of people mining Bitcoin and they are benefitting from all the new options for spending them. Already we are seeing large ASIC farms that are taking over Bitcoin mining. What's going to happen when ASIC manufacturers completely take over Bitcoin mining? Will there be more than a handful of individuals actually using Bitcoin at that time? A bunch of free state project hippies buying granola at Porcfest isn't enough to make a thriving economy.

For years the average Joe has been bombarded by bad news about Bitcoin the scammer/crime money. He is unwilling to listen to the stories and learn that Bitcoin isn't responsible for the crime. I have friends that treat me like a Seventh Day Adventist knocking on the door when I bring up Bitcoin now. They just don't want to hear it anymore. The only way Mr. Normal Guy is going to use Bitcoin is if he doesn't know he's using it. If it becomes a background service like TCP/IP then it might grow. Currently Bitcoin isn't robust enough to be picked up for global use as a background service. It will need lots of improvements first.  BTW: What's the current exchange rate of TCP/IP to the dollar. If Norm doesn't know he's using it, it won't have an exchange rate.

sdersdf3

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:03:55 PM
Last edit: October 13, 2014, 01:38:58 AM by sdersdf3

I agree completely. In early 2011 you couldn't respond to a thread in Bitcoin discussion, regardless of the topic, without an immediate response from someone else. Now I hardly see anyone that I talked to back then on the forum. New people seem far more scarce than they used to be and it can take as much as a day for an answer to appear in a thread.

When you click on "show unread posts since last visit: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=unread what you see now is a bunch of Altcoin threads, a few marketplace threads and Bitcoin wall observer thread (wannabe speculators trolling). Less and less people are coming here for Bitcoin.

Everyone is excited that VC money is bringing new businesses to Bitcoin. Anyone can accept Bitcoin but that doesn't mean customers are ever going to show up at your business with a pocket full of Bitcoin ready to spend. There are still lots of people mining Bitcoin and they are benefitting from all the new options for spending them. Already we are seeing large ASIC farms that are taking over Bitcoin mining. What's going to happen when ASIC manufacturers completely take over Bitcoin mining? Will there be more than a handful of individuals actually using Bitcoin at that time? A bunch of free state project hippies buying granola at Porcfest isn't enough to make a thriving economy.

For years the average Joe has been bombarded by bad news about Bitcoin the scammer/crime money. He is unwilling to listen to the stories and learn that Bitcoin isn't responsible for the crime. I have friends that treat me like a Seventh Day Adventist knocking on the door when I bring up Bitcoin now. They just don't want to hear it anymore. The only way Mr. Normal Guy is going to use Bitcoin is if he doesn't know he's using it. If it becomes a background service like TCP/IP then it might grow. Currently Bitcoin isn't robust enough to be picked up for global use as a background service. It will need lots of improvements first.  BTW: What's the current exchange rate of TCP/IP to the dollar. If Norm doesn't know he's using it, it won't have an exchange rate.

Totally agree with that - I think where btc and altcoins might be most effective is in the background or as an add-on feature to a suite that the average joe/jean will really go for. I think these Nectar guys have the right idea: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=812124.msg9090897#msg9090897
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 05:16:42 PM

Totally agree with that - I think where btc and altcoins might be most effective is in the background or as an add-on feature to a suite that the average joe/jean will really go far. I think these Nectar guys have the right idea: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=812124.msg9090897#msg9090897

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Liam Bitchtits

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2014, 06:44:39 PM

IMO BTC and Alts actually need each other. BTC is having a rough go at the moment due to a lack of innovation. Alts on the other hand don't have the maturity and stability and infrastructure that bitcoin does. If BTC actually adopted some of the innovations of the alts it would be an unstoppable force. Nothing anywhere says it has to be one or the other. This crypto coin market is like cars where 100 yrs ago. there where thousands of makers. Some merged and some died off others rose to become giants. Very few if any markets support a monopoly naturally. Crypto is no exception.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2014, 05:43:18 AM

The greed you speak of is an inherent trait of humanity. It defines the very world you live in, you cannot escape it just by shifting your focus from cryptos to something else, it's everywhere. You'll have to try and change the world if you really feel strongly about it Smiley
Or you could consider letting the greedy be greedy so long as you know you're not greedy. And if you feel sorry for those investors who are losing money, well they are just as greedy as the rest. There is no lesser or greater greed, it's just greed  Cheesy

Why does the desire to gain wealth have such a negative word as greed?

many on here are from 2nd or even 3rd world countries that are striving to make some money that many in first world countries are born with. It's easy to call others greedy when you already have wealth, home, car, job etc.

What about the idea of bettering ones life and loved ones and gaining economic freedom to live the life you want. Is that greed?

Well if you read my comment carefully, you'll find that I have not condemned greed in any way. The first part of my comment only serve to reflect the current state of the world, not judging it Wink The negativity you've associated with the word is rooted in your own perception/understanding. Greed is neither good nor bad. To answer you question, only the one who is performing the act can judge whether he or she is being greedy. What everyone else's think is of no importance since perception itself is relative  Smiley
bushstar

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 08:01:01 AM

If money leaves crypto it will be a good thing. I see that there are three people in crypto, the enthusiasts, the idealists and those who want money. It is the later that has dominated for too long and some will go to any length to make a buck. We are working in open source software with absolutely none of the open source ethos. Anyone should be able to pick up the code and work on it as that is how you contribute to open source and others should welcome that. Instead each coin that comes to life generally seems to be out to destroy all others. This is simply greed, the same greed I saw with Bitcoiners when I first joined crypto, they said that there should only be one coin, Bitcoin. That is only an argument if you are looking at crypto from a market perspective, the more coins the thinner the market, the thing is that this is open source software and Bitcoin has to maintain a certain status quo. It is the alts that can break out and try new things that others including Bitcoin can incorporate. Alts have the same attitude of kill other coins to make their worth more. This kind of attitude is corrosive to crypto and will put people off when they only see hostility and abuse. Perhaps if Bitcoin goes back to being worth cents we can focus on features and functionality again.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2014, 08:15:51 AM

If money leaves crypto it will be a good thing. I see that there are three people in crypto, the enthusiasts, the idealists and those who want money. It is the later that has dominated for too long and some will go to any length to make a buck. We are working in open source software with absolutely none of the open source ethos. Anyone should be able to pick up the code and work on it as that is how you contribute to open source and others should welcome that. Instead each coin that comes to life generally seems to be out to destroy all others. This is simply greed, the same greed I saw with Bitcoiners when I first joined crypto, they said that there should only be one coin, Bitcoin. That is only an argument if you are looking at crypto from a market perspective, the more coins the thinner the market, the thing is that this is open source software and Bitcoin has to maintain a certain status quo. It is the alts that can break out and try new things that others including Bitcoin can incorporate. Alts have the same attitude of kill other coins to make their worth more. This kind of attitude is corrosive to crypto and will put people off when they only see hostility and abuse. Perhaps if Bitcoin goes back to being worth cents we can focus on features and functionality again.

+1

add to that I've always noted the IQ of this place is always inversely proportional to the price of BTC in USD, so I'd personally be glad if bitcoin was again worth a few cents, make the place more productive and less dog eat dog get rich quick types.

whats the point of developing an alternative to the greedy banker controlled fiat if we ourselves become the greedy bankers?
sdersdf3

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 02:18:31 AM

mintpal's gone:
http://mintpal.com

MintPal is currently down for urgent bug fixes, and is additionally moving to new management (away from Moopay LTD). A statement will follow shortly.

====

another shining example of what this "ecosystem" has become
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: