Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:24:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoin survive the impending financial crash?  (Read 4317 times)
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 02:26:50 PM

after the markets crash central banks all over the world are going to print huge amounts of money to try and prop the markets back up, destroying their fiat currencies in the process.
the fiat titanic is heading for an iceberg and its too late to turn it around, get on the bitcoin lifeboat.

Central banks are already doing it to prevent a market crash.  Smiley

PLUNGE PROTECTION TEAM !!!!!!!!!!!

the worst part is that that team exists...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Group_on_Financial_Markets

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 02:39:21 PM

teh question is not  "Will bitcoin survive the impending financial crash"

the question is:   "will the financial crash survive the impending bitcoin!?!"

Wink
djnocide
Legendary

Activity: 1164
Merit: 1000

Einsteinium Foundation Board Member and Treasurer

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 04:25:12 PM

Wink

Fiat won't last long if it keep crashing every 3-4 years. Something is wrong is this system, i hope more an more people will realize that soon
cutesakura

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 02:22:57 AM

I think bitcoin will still be able to survive at all costs, even if hit by the financial crisis, because of the type of bitcoin is cryptocurrency, the financial crisis had little influence on bitcoin, but will have little impact because it depends on the exchange rate of the dollar money market, hopefully the price of bitcoin but steady and in the future ...  Grin
djnocide
Legendary

Activity: 1164
Merit: 1000

Einsteinium Foundation Board Member and Treasurer

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 10:03:59 AM

Wink

Fiat won't last long if it keep crashing every 3-4 years. Something is wrong is this system, i hope more an more people will realize that soon
Fiat facilitates credit, which facilitates "modernity." Wink

But i don't think that modernity can be sustained by crashes happening each 3-4 years.  Roll Eyes
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 11:26:08 AM

Wink

Fiat facilitates credit, which facilitates "modernity." Wink

But i don't think that modernity can be sustained by crashes happening each 3-4 years.  Roll Eyes
I am not sure what "crashes" you are referring to? If you are talking about economic recessions, then most countries are experiencing a recession every 8 to 9 years not 3 to 4, plus a recession is a normal part of the economic cycle. If you are talking about a stock market crash then this happens every 15 to 20 years but is also part of the economic cycle. If you are talking about large inflation then this has not happened is 40+ years, is very dangerous to the economy however it also very rare

Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 02:44:52 PM

Bitcoin is antifragile, it benefits from volatility. Read Taleb's book if you don't understand it.
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 01:01:16 AM

Bitcoin will not only survive, it will be the tool to recover from any impending financial crash.
DavidHume

Activity: 235
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 05:45:19 PM

Bitcoin will not only survive, it will be the tool to recover from any impending financial crash.

Hard to see this right now given big correction this year.

TheOutride

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 06:10:50 PM

I feel like I gotta chip in, although I wish I had better study into Economics. Non the less, lets take it back exactly 1 year. Where was BTC? in a few more months it would be it's first time to pass $1,000 USD per BTC. ASICS were being made to a point that the market wanted more.. better. for less. So where'd that lead us? To ASICS that hash at half a terrahash/s for a few hundred. Not so long ago.. Cointerra, KNC, this guys and a few others ruled the market. As everyone knows, the price of BTC is linked to many variables. One being how many people use BTC, and so on. So what made this spike so huge? The influx of new miners, traders, and "holders". Among other things of course. But... I HAVE to point this out..

BTC is based on the internet. I fear that if a government's fiat is worth so little... How are we to pay the electricity companies? without electricity, how will IPS companies run.. And how will we have internet and power at home.. Without them.. Well, there goes BTC and it's price.

Now as far as silver and gold bugs out there. Well, a HUGE portion of gold is held by the U.S. in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and Fort Knox... So. the problem goes back to fiat.. it's only worth what the government says.

So long as we have this type of government everything will be controlled. Think about it.. Most of the money in the world is just digits on a computer. Back in the 1920's maybe it was easy to have all the money as paper currency in circulation.. but now we're in the modern era.

But then the problem arises... With this "modern era" comes this beautiful thing called credit. So long as people keep borrowing money, they're in trouble. Notice how credit score's only take into account your credit cards, why not debit cards? Because they know people whom have credit are more likely to spend it, and in their minds think "i'll be able to pay this, and it will even help my credit score"... Funny huh? And honestly there's nothing we CAN do about our current system. Our president is a puppet controlled by the banks and powerful corporations, congress itself isn't much different, other than they can also be bribed making them much easier to control.. So long as this so called "Democracy" (which is ironic since america is a republic) dominates.. We're all stuck without a true voice.

Lemme give you an example before I shut up, if you live in New York, and you would like to speak to your congress man about any subject or matter, chances are they'll:
A. ignore you
B. send you a letter saying they'll think about it
C. Say they can't do anything because they're on the committee or something against it.

What do you do if you want to speak to a congressman that IS on your side, but is a representative of another state..?

Riddle me that..

Thanks for reading this rant though guys,

-T.O.
naplam

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Coin Developer - CrunchPool.com operator

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 06:20:43 PM

There isn't much point in the question. Bitcoin might not survive by causes totally unrelated to financial crashes. And there is no reason why a financial crash would kill bitcoin.

pattu1

Activity: 675
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:54:52 AM

There isn't much point in the question. Bitcoin might not survive by causes totally unrelated to financial crashes. And there is no reason why a financial crash would kill bitcoin.

On the contrary, a financial crash might just be what is required for the bitcoin price to take off.  Smiley
silversurfer1958

Activity: 474
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:18:22 AM

You don't necesarily need fiat to get Bitcoin, I might give some one some eggs from my chickens in return for 0.001BTC

silversurfer1958

Activity: 474
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:19:46 AM

A crash will cause BTC price to rise as people become more and more desperate to protect their wealth. the time to buy is now.

Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:02:48 AM

I hope my government (UK) are looking at giving people the option to be paid in BTC. I'm sure that there are a few clever economists in our government looking at this right now.

If we can garner a smooth transition whereby people accept BTC voluntarily instead of FIAT then we have less chance of armageddon and our public services won't be compromised.

I don't want to live in a world without police, nurses, doctors, firemen or even bus services. That list is just off the top of my head.

I value my community and I hope the government see sense and allow a smooth transition to BTC if that's what the people want.

The trouble is, our corrupted government (not the only one) are loathe to tell us the truth about the disastrous state of the economy as they're all in cahoots with the bankers, who can go fuck themselves.

Hopefully an altruistic and honest change in government policy will allow decentralised currency to co-exist.

Things will change. They have to, or else we'll be living in deprivation.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: