Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:04:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High school teacher accepting bitcoin donations to get classroom supplies  (Read 1046 times)
briank (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:44:24 PM

Hey guys,

Long time lurker here!

My girlfriend has been trying to raise money to get three Google Chromebooks for her classroom. Since I'm into crypto-currencies, I decided to create her a site in where she can use some coin through TigerDirect to get what she needed so the kids can type their essays, research, and use Khan Academy.

The school is in one of the poorest cities in northern california (sorta near Oakland to give you an idea of the poverty/crime over there).

She doesn't know I'm posting this and doesn't really understand Bitcoin, but hopefully she sees how internet magic money and the power of human beings can help her get something tangible that her kids will find helpful.

If any of you have any feedback or wanted to drop her a line, feel free to head on over to www.projectbui.org or say hello here. Smiley

Thanks,
Brian

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 07:48:24 PM

The school is in one of the poorest cities in northern california

So on the grand scale of things, worldwide, not poor at all. In fact they can be considered well off compared with many other parts of the world.

With access to education they are well ahead of many children already.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
briank (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:55:02 PM

So on the grand scale of things, worldwide, not poor at all. In fact they can be considered well off compared with many other parts of the world.

I agree with both of your statements -- Zimbabwe is much further behind if you compare them to the kids that attend a school out in Richmond, CA.

We live in Richmond, CA so we're trying to help out our local community.
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:55:38 PM

First post and you are asking for donations....yea seems legit.
briank (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:05:09 PM

First post and you are asking for donations....yea seems legit.

I mentioned that I'm a long time lurker here. You don't have to donate if you don't like but this is real.

Someone else has already contacted her asking if this was a real thing and she's already replied w/ proof (a reply from her staff email address). Afterwards, he shot her a note saying that he made a blog post over at: http://www.computernewbie.info/wheatdogg/bitcoin-donations-help-out-an-ap-english-teacher/.

Additionally, we've already raised 36% to goal as of today (I have donated $300 personally), which is enough to order two Chromebook 11's.

Here's the screenshot of the order. Smiley

http://www.projectbui.org/images/tigerdirect_order_01.jpg
http://www.projectbui.org/images/tigerdirect_order_01.jpg
stealthman

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:31:20 PM

in USA measure seems not well off.
- I say hellow to you and wish good luck.
Nothing is impossible. 
briank (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 08:39:01 PM

in USA measure seems not well off.
- I say hellow to you and wish good luck.
Nothing is impossible. 

Thanks for the kind words. I'll pass them along to Ms. Bui!
CCU

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 08:02:02 PM

you and your lady should definitely be involved with CCU

one of the funding goals for CCU is to provide mining rigs for needy schools so that they could mine for coin to raise funds for the school.  We will also show the school how to incorporate cryptocurrency studies into their curriculum.  In this way students get academic and practical (lab) education; and the school get's needed financial aid.

win, win, win
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: