Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:06:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GAP] Gapcoin - Prime Gap Search - New Math Algo - CPU / GPU - Zero Premine  (Read 286844 times)
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 1240

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2020, 02:36:50 AM

<domain list>

Feel free to point your domains at a FreeBitcoins.com/xchange affiliate link and you'll earn 50% of trade fees for your sign ups + you'll help us.

Thanks and nice list.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2020, 09:41:29 AM

Good to see gapcoin has been kept alive. If somebody wants to make an exchange that features only high quality math and science coins they can use one or more of the coin domains

...snip...

I’ve talked with a few people on this thread in past years under different usernames, so I would tend to trust them more to make an honest math / science / ai / indigenous exchange.

...snip...

Math / science coins = gapcoin type coins, gridcoin, primecoin, medical coins that use hashing power to compute protein folding, high quality conservation type coins, etc.

...snip...

Fair enough, although why wouldn't someone just want to register a domain name directly, instead of buying one from an 'untrusted 3rd party', and/or potentially releasing contact information !?

Some domain registers still accept 'cash in the mail' or Bitcoin etc., for increased privacy ... I'm so 2008 ...  Cheesy

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2020, 10:03:28 AM

My recommendation for good old coins such as GAP with markets that are new/stagnant...  Put a offer to buy $1000 worth of GAP.

Be the change you want to be... you'll be amazed by how fast things stack up when just a few fellas put $1000 down each and start battling against each other a bit.

I can't tell you how many times I've had a friend that has over 5000 BTC beat me out of 0.01 BTC!  That's why that fucker has 5000+ btc! Tongue

Be the change you want to see and be greedy AF taking profits!

https://freebitcoins.com/xchange/market/Bitcoin-Gapcoin

I don't have 5000 BTC because I created and moved markets in 2010-2011 to 'help' get the Bitcoin ball rolling ...

Realize that with Gapcoin, we have already seen Poloniex, Cryptopia, Nova Exchange etc., (i.e. been there, done that, brought the t-shirt and the mug)...

So, perhaps I will just HODL instead? Still, nothing to stop anyone else with the above recommendation.

I was once a profitable retail forex trader and EA developer ... maybe I will build up my own exchange again one day, circumstances permitting.

*Satire*
Dr. Dre - Been There Done That
- https://youtu.be/c80dWbiONqM

*NSFW* *Explicit Lyrics*
Eminem, Dr. Dre - Forgot About Dre
- https://youtu.be/QFcv5Ma8u8k

Cheesy

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
DaCryptoRaccoon

Activity: 1197
Merit: 580

OGRaccoon

View Profile
August 28, 2020, 12:24:21 AM

Good to see gapcoin has been kept alive. If somebody wants to make an exchange that features only high quality math and science coins they can use one or more of the coin domains

...snip...

I’ve talked with a few people on this thread in past years under different usernames, so I would tend to trust them more to make an honest math / science / ai / indigenous exchange.

...snip...

Math / science coins = gapcoin type coins, gridcoin, primecoin, medical coins that use hashing power to compute protein folding, high quality conservation type coins, etc.

...snip...

Fair enough, although why wouldn't someone just want to register a domain name directly, instead of buying one from an 'untrusted 3rd party', and/or potentially releasing contact information !?

Some domain registers still accept 'cash in the mail' or Bitcoin etc., for increased privacy ... I'm so 2008 ...  Cheesy

Pay with Monero or just fire Bitcoins via wasabi wallet for an added protection when buying. 

I would be very careful buying domains from a un-trusted 3rd party that is just asking for trouble.

I would also agree an exchange that lists academic, medical, mathematics, or any for good cause coins listings would be something a lot of people would be interested in. 

Think of all the people speculating on what coin is good what coin is bad if there were somewhere that online listed coins on there actual real world merit or impact would really draw in a lot of users.

I for one would love to support this idea!

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
┃   💎 Mine Solo with CKPool 💎    ┃
┃    ➤ Hit Blocks on Your Own!      ┃
┃ ███▓▓  ███▓▓  ███▓▓  ███▓▓┃
Bitcoin_Joker

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 28, 2020, 05:21:02 AM

I would be very careful buying domains from a un-trusted 3rd party that is just asking for trouble.

I don’t understand why to take risks and buy cryptocurrency in incomprehensible schemes from incomprehensible people. Today, there are dozens or even hundreds of completely legal and safe methods.
BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2020, 09:45:39 AM

...snip...

I would also agree an exchange that lists academic, medical, mathematics, or any for good cause coins listings would be something a lot of people would be interested in.  

...snip...

This^

One step at a time. Slowly at first, then all at once.  Grin

New disclaimers added to https://gapcoin.club ...

"Caveat emptor "buyer beware" BSV and BCH are NOT Bitcoin. Bitcoin is BTC"

and

"Disclaimer (Warning): Gapcoin (GAP) is NOT associated with the gapschain AI token project (GAPS)"

Onwards.

N+1

gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2020, 10:40:36 AM
Merited by BayAreaCoins (1)

It’s a good idea if somebody does it right. It has to be done by a person who has technical skills and likes math coins etc
The core problem is that setting up and running a crypto exchange is a security nightmare, is extremely time-consuming and is largely thankless (both socially and financially). The upshot of this is that the whole idea is quite unattractive to someone with technical skills and who likes math coins.

AFAICT, Freebitcoins and Freiexchange are the closest realisations of your concept, the former has been introduced upthread in Bayareacoins' own words, the latter was originally created to provide a market for Freicoin, subsequently expanded modestly (in cryptoexchange terms) and continues to concentrate on providing an exchange service to many, if not most, continuing vintage altcoins.

Cheers

Graham
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2020, 11:27:42 PM

It’s a good idea if somebody does it right. It has to be done by a person who has technical skills and likes math coins etc
The core problem is that setting up and running a crypto exchange is a security nightmare, is extremely time-consuming and is largely thankless (both socially and financially). The upshot of this is that the whole idea is quite unattractive to someone with technical skills and who likes math coins.

AFAICT, Freebitcoins and Freiexchange are the closest realisations of your concept, the former has been introduced upthread in Bayareacoins' own words, the latter was originally created to provide a market for Freicoin, subsequently expanded modestly (in cryptoexchange terms) and continues to concentrate on providing an exchange service to many, if not most, continuing vintage altcoins.

Cheers

Graham

I agree with all of this above.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
SnowTrader

Activity: 5
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 06:30:27 AM

How relevant is the launch of new exchanges today? It seems to me that the existing problems with attracting new users and with new coins and liquidity ... only bots trade. Of course, something needs to be changed. Everyone is waiting for real innovation and new technologies.
SnowTrader

Activity: 5
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 30, 2020, 08:48:21 AM

That’s an excellent point of course. A person can speculate about how the coin economy might develop.

There is little doubt that the bigger trend will be towards ai coins initially and eventually towards ai networks developed through taskwork coins. The initial ‘bitcoin’ idea of ‘it’s money that does nothing’ won’t last. The ‘ethereum’ idea of ‘developers are your leaders’ won’t last.

One problem with the current trajectory towards ai coins is the lack of any guidance in the broader crypto economy.

This is noted very precisely. The industry is in for a big change soon. New high-tech projects will come to the market. Bitcoin and Ethereum will have to do something incredible to maintain their leading position.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2020, 10:48:31 AM

Freiexchange I’ve watched for a while, probably traded there in the past. It’s a good exchange, useful, well made like freebitcoins, etc. But it’s purpose is to unload or create liquidity for bags.
Your assessment of purpose is off the mark. Fedde was quite explicit about his original motivation, that of providing an exchange for the otherwise-untradable Freicoin - hence the name of the exchange. Since then he has been variously amenable to other altcoins in a similar position regards lack of listing and was kind enough to respond positively to my pleas to add (firstly) SLM and (secondly) DTC.

There seems to be something of a contradiction in your argument - "the financial part is a function of its success" yet "it’s purpose is to unload or create liquidity for bags". Isn't this how it inevitably works?

What's missing here is a practically useful definition of the distinction between "ethically created useful coins" and "a lot of shitcoins" and not just personal opinion.

Establishing and operating a cryptocurrency exchange is exactly that - "operating". It obviously does not necessarily require the owner/operator to possess technical skills, merely the ability to commission others to deploy them.

BTW, your notions about AI and its possible role in cryptocurrency are rather fanciful, I'm sorry to have to tell you.

Cheers

Graham
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2020, 09:46:39 PM

I remember Freicoin, and I remember spending quite a while trying to figure out the logic of some long word he used to explain something about interest rates and a fair distribution of money based on something confusing about the working class or something. I respect somebody who has political beliefs but it seemed to be a well intentioned shitcoin. The rest of your first paragraph says what I said while claiming to refute it.
tbh, I don't find this kind of btc convo at all rewarding. You say you struggled with the concept of demurrage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demurrage_%28currency%29) and how it pertains to Freicoin (http://freico.in/), I can't really help you there other than to suggest that perhaps you might refrain from ungrounded opining (either disparagingly or encouragingly) on things that you don't understand..

Freiexchange was created to unload or create liquidity for bags.
Your negative attitude epitomises the point I made about operating a cryptocurrency exchange being a thankless effort. The technical aspects of operating a cryptocurrency exchange are  most unlikely to interest someone with technical skills, rather the opposite. It'd basically be a labour of love, maintained in the face of countless kneejerk disparagements from people with very little skin in the game.

As far as definition of good coin vs shitcoin.

A very high quality coin will have a very slow emission with no premine, ico etc, it should be a productive algorithm that does something with its hashing power, etc.
Your rephrasing of my challenge casually elided the key aspect - a practical definition. Unfortunately, "productive" and "does something with its hashing power" are dismally vague failures in that respect.

Some few coins attract a completely different type of person. A lot of people mine gap coin because they feel like it is accomplishing something. Lots of people lent their computers to BOINC and similar projects before Gridcoin, and getting that coin to sell isn’t their main motive.
Those are confident statements but unfortunately are either based on zero evidence or fly in the face of any existing evidence (Gapcoin has 17 known nodes according to chainz, out of that slight population, where'd you get the idea that "a lot of people mine gap coin"? I'm disinclined to devote effort to disabusing you of your misperceptions and ungrounded opinions because you don't seem to have put in any significant effort in forming them.

As for your being sorry you have to tell me my notions about ai are fanciful, are you able to articulate something specific? I get that you are trying to minimize or counter my statements about ai, but if you actually do have a better knowledge on the subject then try to put into words what it is you disagree with.
Your ungrounded opinion is too unformed to merit or facilitate any more specific rebuttal. There isn't much one can sensibly respond to such hand-waviness as "Once ai science coins developed which produced a valuable commodity i.e., math or science discovery,"  Your statements clearly advertise that you have little or no knowledge of the underpinning "ai" technology being touted so you are unfortunately in the position of basically shilling for the next generation of shitcoins, ironic as that may seem.

I have no idea what all the options are but I’m sure a lot of technical people could figure it out.
Nor do you have any idea of how much work is involved in that figuring out, yet that doesn't seem to inhibit you from pontificating on how it'd be a good thing. Take the hint - it's not quite the no-brainer that it might seem.

One last point about ‘decent coins’ vs ‘shit coins’, then I’ll drop this as there doesn’t seem to be interest.
Promises, promises Smiley But yes, let's call it a day, it's not exactly a productive discussion.

Cheers

Graham

BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2020, 02:20:35 PM

An interesting discussion ...  Cheesy

@SinbadGuthrie - Are you still mining Gapcoin and/or running a full node? If not, why not?  Smiley

Like Atlantis, Gapcoin wasn't built in a day.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richat_Structure

Gapcoin currently has more nodes than you might imagine. The block explorer at https://chainz.cryptoid.info/gap/ only publishes the nodes it sees i.e actually has had connectivity with over the past 24 hour period ... "Network Clients seen in the last 24 hours"

The explorer is not listing our known Tor nodes for example, not even the front facing nodes.

I'm working on launching a new 2nd block explorer at https://gapcoin.club and upgrading the current club network infrastructure.

Tor shielded GPU farm on standby ... [citation needed]

I don't know when C-Patex is actually listing Gapcoin either, but I'm awaiting 3 stable exchanges and 2 live block explorers before I push this project some more to the crypto industry 'numb nuts'.

BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2020, 03:30:08 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2020, 03:56:48 PM by BitcoinFX
Merited by cryptomaxsun (1)

I’ve never mined any coin. I tried to figure out coin mining early on but never quite got anything to do anything that produces coins.

Seriously ... This entire industry has gone backwards.  Roll Eyes

" How to start mining for Gapcoin in the QT Wallet.

To start mining for Gapcoin in your wallet go to:

Help > Debug window > Console and type in the following command at the prompt:

setgenerate true "

- https://gapcoin.club/windows-gui-setup.php
- https://gapcoin.club/linux-gapcoind-setup.php

Just like original Bitcoin, which had a CPU "Generate Coins" Tab ...

The more people mining Gapcoin, the bigger the Prime Gaps found.

Increasing P2P participation in the Gapcoin network is still the first step.

Remember the Bitcoin whitepaper? Nodes (wallets) do Proof-of-Work mining. Gapcoin nodes can still be effective CPU miners currently!

Ed. Don't give up, they will figure it out eventually ... N+1

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2020, 08:18:09 PM
Last edit: September 03, 2020, 09:17:56 PM by BayAreaCoins

I’ve never mined any coin. I tried to figure out coin mining early on but never quite got anything to do anything that produces coins.

Seriously ... This entire industry has gone backwards.  Roll Eyes

" How to start mining for Gapcoin in the QT Wallet.

To start mining for Gapcoin in your wallet go to:

Help > Debug window > Console and type in the following command at the prompt:

setgenerate true "

- https://gapcoin.club/windows-gui-setup.php
- https://gapcoin.club/linux-gapcoind-setup.php

Just like original Bitcoin, which had a CPU "Generate Coins" Tab ...

The more people mining Gapcoin, the bigger the Prime Gaps found.

Increasing P2P participation in the Gapcoin network is still the first step.

Remember the Bitcoin whitepaper? Nodes (wallets) do Proof-of-Work mining. Gapcoin nodes can still be effective CPU miners currently!

Ed. Don't give up, they will figure it out eventually ... N+1

I am usually past the data limit on my internet connection. During the covid stuff I got some free extra gigabytes, but I have to be sparse with things that use a lot of data.

My opinion of ‘mining’ is that it should involve human input, as I’ve said.

The current coin environment was created by developers for developers. The initial payoff goes to developers, then the second string picks up mining etc.

It isn’t really directed to either consumers nor to productivity.

If a person is going to mine, they should mine on productive networks like gapcoin, but I will wait for human mining to start so I don’t have to setgenerate true or delete conf file.

Idk why, but reading Sinbad's posts just annoy the hell out of me.

Fucking noobs that haven't mined a single coin that think their opinion matters.... *gag*

Ucionasha

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2020, 06:22:13 AM

Bro tell me is there a way to get this GAP coin? Maybe participation in some bounty or airdrop? Or just mining or buying?
BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2020, 07:58:33 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2020, 08:08:37 AM by BitcoinFX

Bro tell me is there a way to get this GAP coin? Maybe participation in some bounty or airdrop? Or just mining or buying?

I guess we might get some new translation 'bounties' on the go for the upcoming Gapcoin thread re-[ANN]ouncment ... soon ™.

Genuine cryptocurrencies circa 2014 didn't do airdrops or ICO's etc.,

Best option to get some Gapcoin, in the first instance, is to get the wallet and participate in securing the network via CPU/GPU mining (or in the pool).

Exchanges exist where you can buy Gapcoin. However, this is not investment advice.  Smiley

- https://gapcoin.club

Beastie Boys - Intergalactic
- https://youtu.be/qORYO0atB6g

Cheesy

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2020, 11:10:27 PM
Last edit: September 04, 2020, 11:32:17 PM by BayAreaCoins

Genuine cryptocurrencies circa 2014 didn't do airdrops or ICO's etc.,

A bit off-topic, but Clamcoin.  (Just-Dice.com uses CLAM since Bitcoin got huge and FreeBitcoins.com CTO,Xploited (AKA Scott), created CLAM (Xploited))

It was the first airdrop using private keys that wasn't a fork of Bitcoin.

All Bitcoin, Litecoin and Dogecoin users were gifted 4.6xxxxxxx CLAMS per address that held over "dust".

So when a person asks how to get some gapcoin, first ask them if they are in a poor country or a rich country.

I think you'd be better off asking them if they pack their lunch or take the bus.  Grin Tongue

ph4nt0m

Activity: 591
Merit: 501

Scavenger of Crypto Sorrow

View Profile
September 04, 2020, 11:24:20 PM

Most people in most countries are not able to set aside a computer to secure the network. Last time I ran the gapcoin wallet, a few years ago, it was far more intensive than most wallets, running 99% cpu and still taking a vast amount of time to download if I recall. So when a person asks how to get some gapcoin, first ask them if they are in a poor country or a rich country.

A simple Atom based netbook consumes next to nothing. Gapcoin sync is slow because prime gap verification is much slower than PoW hash verification of most algos.
minerja

Activity: 1248
Merit: 297

View Profile
September 04, 2020, 11:57:55 PM

Most people in most countries are not able to set aside a computer to secure the network. Last time I ran the gapcoin wallet, a few years ago, it was far more intensive than most wallets, running 99% cpu and still taking a vast amount of time to download if I recall. So when a person asks how to get some gapcoin, first ask them if they are in a poor country or a rich country.

A simple Atom based netbook consumes next to nothing. Gapcoin sync is slow because prime gap verification is much slower than PoW hash verification of most algos.

#SinBad, absolutely no idea where you are coming from.
Yes, like a lot of coins, initial sync is quite slow, but once done, you can "secure" the network on a very low powered device. Or using just1 thread of a multicore PC.
As for mining, there is a standalone cpu miner, AMD gpu miner, a pool, or you can simple "setgenerate true 1" using just 1 core...so i think that should cover most senarios.

I bought an all in one mb with cpu/gpu, consumes 14 watt and mines a small amount of gapcoin (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-E350N-WIN8-rev-10#ov (2cores), or https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-E3800N-rev-1x#kf(2cores 4 threads)) just don't expect to make many coins per day...

To be fair, you could have the wallet / mine on a RaspberryPi, or PiZero...
Pages: « 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: