Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:58:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GAP] Gapcoin - Prime Gap Search - New Math Algo - CPU / GPU - Zero Premine  (Read 286844 times)
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2021, 03:47:52 PM

Is it possible to remove the HD Wallet from the 16.3 Wallet?  Is it that desirable to have?  
Not possible. It's not a case of desirability, it's a case of unpredictable consequences of such a radical change to the wallet architecture.

I had to use a blockchain backup to restore the 16.3 wallet

I don't think I can be much clearer than: dump a text file of the wallet using dumpwallet in the 0.9 client. Import the dumped wallet text file into the 0.16 client by using importwallet.

Perhaps I've been too accommodating and have inadvertently raised expectations to a level that doesn't match reality in terms of the degree of change from 0.9 to 0.16.

This isn't an incremental upgrade, it's a major change across five years of intensive upstream activity on the cloneparent.

Of course the clients will need to rebuild the index and of course the 0.16 client won't load 0.9 wallets --- it's exactly the same as with Bitcoin - except that with Bitcoin, 0.9 clients are not able to connect to the post-0.10 network.

An alternative approach for Gapcoin would be to hard-fork to the 0.16.3 client. This would avoid the all difficulties of a mixed 0.9/0.16 network, allow the removal of yet more potentially problematic non-core code and a hard fork might make the degree of difference rather more salient to users.

A more radical but just as effective approach would be to hard-fork to the 0.21 client, straight into a segwit-enabled chain. Transitioning to segwit will have to happen sooner or later and staying on the 0.16 client for the next five years just isn't an option. Unlike the 0.21 client, the 0.16 client still retains the versionbits code that allows for a smooth transition to segwit --- but if dealing with the change between 0.9 and 0.16 is proving problematic, perhaps a hard-fork to an 0.21 segwit-enabled chain would be a cleaner and perhaps, for this community, the only viable solution.

Cheers

Graham

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kameleonic

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 07:50:28 PM

Would it be recommended to setup a 'reserve' wallet just in case anything goes wrong and transfer any tokens over accordingly?
UsernameNumber7

Activity: 256
Merit: 60

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 08:12:31 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2021, 11:54:32 PM by Welsh

Mod note: consecutive posts merged

I understand Higgins thanks......

The point I was making is DON'T try to Mine with 16.3 Wallet BEFORE using the Version 9 Dumpwallet

I don't know if 16.3 wallet can be run normal and shut down, and then Version 9 wallet being able to be loaded again.

Use Dumpwallet and Higgins instructions BEFORE running 16.3 wallet.

But maybe it's just a Don't Mine with 16.3 wallet until transfer coins is complete.

But I can't go back to check that for sure at the moment.  

Would it be recommended to setup a 'reserve' wallet just in case anything goes wrong and transfer any tokens over accordingly?

If you Trust FreeBitcoins.com they offer a reserve wallet address, but if they were hacked not a guarantee of getting anything. 

Not sure what you are referring to but I will try to answer.

You should find a encryption software like Tru-Crypt and Encrypt your Wallet.dat after Gapcoin is shutdown, using a random password generator program like Bitwarden.  Than you put your encrypted wallet.dat file into a New Folder.  Compress the New Folder which should generate a Tar.gz Zip file.  Encrypt the New Folder.Tar.gz using a program like Tru-Crypt. 

Now you can back up your Gapcoin Wallet in the Cloud.  If it's super important reverse the process to make sure it will De-Crypt and everything was encrypted properly.   

I think the important thing now is to Backup and Encrypt a 16.3 Gapcoin wallet.dat.   

https://www.TRISQUEL.INFO #1 Free Software Linux Operating  System

Trisquel OS "Just Do It"        "Sic Semper Tyranis"
Kameleonic

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 04, 2021, 08:45:58 PM

Thanks for the reply, I was referring to running 2 separate instances of the Gapcoin wallet, duplicating the files and blockchain, deleting the 'wallet.dat' and generating a second wallet. I could then run that wallet with a modified code pointing to the copied data directory ie.(C:\Users\*****\Gapcoin Reserve\) transfering any funds over to the reserve which isnt mining.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2021, 09:26:07 PM

I understand Higgins thanks......

The point I was making is DON'T try to Mine with 16.3 Wallet BEFORE using the Version 9 Dumpwallet
Okay, thanks.

I often work with multiple versions of a client. On Linux it’s fairly natural to run the client from the command line, specifying a different -datadir to keep versions separate. It's not quite so natural on a GUI-prominent OS like Windows but once you know how to do it, it’s quite easy to run both 0.9 and 0.16 clients at the same time and have them connected to each other.

Firstly you need to arrange for two folders in C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming, one for each version - you can create them as Gapcoin-0.9 and Gapcoin or Gapcoin-0.16 and Gapcoin, or even Gapcoin-0.9 and Gapcoin-0.16 depending on your preference.

Then, edit the gapcoin.conf file in each folder and assign a different port and rpcport to each. If you like, you can have one on the standard port/rpcport but they must be different.

I usually use:
Code:
port=60000
rpcport=60001
addnode=127.0.0.1:60002

and

Code:
port=60002
rpcport=60003
addnode=127.0.0.1:60000

Then, create a shortcut for each client on the desktop (e.g. one called Gapcoin-0.9 and one called Gapcoin-0.16) and edit the properties of each.

Assuming that you have named your “datadir” folders C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Gapcoin-0.9 and C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Gapcoin-0.16, edit the command line arguments in the shortcut Properties “Target” field to add: "-datadir=C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Gapcoin-0.9" to the shortcut to the 0.9 client and "-datadir=C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Gapcoin-0.16" to the shortcut to the 0.16 client.

Then, you can click-start each shortcut and have both 0.9 and 0.16 clients running together, each using their own folder for the datadir.

You can freely dump and import privkeys in either client, have the same keys in both wallets or send coins via tx from one to the other.

Cheers

Graham
UsernameNumber7

View Profile
March 07, 2021, 12:05:40 PM

Thanks Higgins!!!!!!!!

This will go very well I think now.

The Linux Instructions is even easier to run than the Windows instructions you posted.

create .gapcoinversion9 folder

cd gapcoin/src/qt

./gapcoin-qt -choosedatadir

That command at runtime will show the original popup Window and will let you choose the directory using the GUI. 

Insert a copy of the Blockchain inside the folder.

Create gapcoin.conf and use the commands along with your addnodes

port=60000
rpcport=60001

Successfully running 16.3 and 9.3 Gapcoin at the same time.

This will make Wallet change over a lot easier!

TTM2021

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 08, 2021, 01:05:29 AM

This coin seems very dead but it's still getting support? Are there any active pools or exchanges?
UsernameNumber7

View Profile
March 08, 2021, 02:25:06 AM
Last edit: July 05, 2021, 11:38:01 PM by Welsh

Mod note: consecutive posts merged (inserted hr when needed for clarity)

Linux error comes about again if starting the wallet again.  

Once you use the command ./gapcoin-qt -choosedatadir

It is only a one time pad use if you use 2 wallets.  

You have to use ./gapcoin-qt -choosedatadir and also for 16.3 ./gapcoin-qt -choosedatadir EVERY time to start.

Have a Blockchain before ever using Gapcoin 16.3.  And keep the Blockchain backup in 2 locations.  

Because I ran into the issue of starting the 16.3 Wallet and it pulled Automatically into the .gapcoinVersion9 Directory even though I did not set the directory there.  The 16.3 Wallet will pull it from when you set Version 9 Gapcoin Wallet.

To avoid this and prevent it from re-indexing the blockchain.  Set the command line option -choosedatadir everytime until Wallet transition is complete.

If the mistake is made, delete the blockchain in the Version 9 Gapcoin Directory and copy paste the Backup Blockchain.  The regular 16.3 Wallet Directory does not seem to care about re-indexing so it's not an issue if making a mistake there.

Realistically, I am probably talking to myself as probably not many Linux users here other than BitcoinFX and Higgins!

This coin seems very dead but it's still getting support? Are there any active pools or exchanges?

Gapcoin is stronger than it has ever been.  The Main problem is newbies don't know how to use .conf files and have to rely on the built in wallet nodes which expired in Jonn9 Wallet.  

BitcoinFX will promote it more or less, sooner or later!

FreeBitcoins.com and Freiexchange.com list GAP

Unnamed exchange also, but I honestly can't fathom anyone using their UI.  Freiexchange UI is bad too, but it is the Price linked to CoinPaprika and CoinGecko.

FreeBitcoins.com has by far the best Exchange and UI.  But it is not as popular and does not have the link to the indexers!

Higgins there might be a fatal flaw with the Mining!

In a short period of time it keeps generating the same blocks, but generating new tokens.  

It must still be generating a different PrimeGap inside the block hash even though it's mining the same block?

Not sure if I will continue mining because it is pretty bad after letting them run for a couple days.  Lots of Orphans and LOTS of repeat blocks.

I doubt there is a way to trouble shoot a generated template though!

The enemies have it all calculated out to prevent any competitor to Bitcoin.  Using their Templates is a good idea, and I think your a good programmer, but I think the people we are facing are far more calculating than any of us combined.  

If any project is to succeed I think it will have to be raised up from the ground up.  Which is the calculation they know will not happen.  At least not a fork of Bitcoin anyway.  Eth is different, and designed to spam Bitcointalk with Daps to coordinate the assault against Bitcoin Forks.  

UsernameNumber7

View Profile
March 08, 2021, 06:07:04 AM

After reading this post it reaffirms what I have thought for a long time.  It is worth the read and it is a big decision and possibly FATAL for a coin project to follow Bitcoin Core Code.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5322187.msg56515082

Gapcoin is at this juncture. 

I am the only one who has updated the Original Gapcoin Code from the ground.  It really would not be much more work for someone to fork my repository and build it up to Compile on Ubuntu and MX Linux.  And have someone generate a new Windows .exe zip file based on the updated code. 

I really see no future in making complex moves for small Bitcoin Forks.

If it's science than we should not care to imitate Bitcoin.  As Bitcoin is only about greedy bankers now.  It has nothing to do with overthrowing injustice and Cannabis Prohibition like what Dread Pirate Roberts achieved using Bitcoin. 

I think thats my final position on advancing along Higgins 16.3 than HardFork to 20.  Opinions don't matter though, if enough assholes get together and conspire they will kill anything off.

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2021, 10:29:13 AM
Last edit: July 05, 2021, 11:50:46 PM by Welsh

Higgins there might be a fatal flaw with the Mining!
In a short period of time it keeps generating the same blocks, but generating new tokens.  
Not much I can do without key info: what platform, which miner, what settings, examples of "same blocks" and do you see the same issues when mining on testnet?

Cheers

Graham

I am the only one who has updated the Original Gapcoin Code from the ground.
False. https://github.com/gapcoin-project/gapcoin/commits/v0.9.3-gap

It really would not be much more work for someone to fork my repository and build it up to Compile on Ubuntu and MX Linux.  And have someone generate a new Windows .exe zip file based on the updated code.  
What's preventing you from doing this? This is community project, contributions are welcome to stand on their own merits (no pun intended).

Cheers

Graham

Yes, there's an active pool and GAP is listed on two exchanges.

Cheers

Graham
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 1240

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2021, 02:47:01 AM

FreeBitcoins supports GAP.

We've seen some really nice GAP deposits over the past week... she's growing slowly, but surely.

The direct market link is:  https://freebitcoins.com/xchange/market/Bitcoin-Gapcoin

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2021, 01:20:19 PM

Yes, there's an active pool and GAP is listed on two exchanges.

Sorry, my bad. I forgot that the ANN cannot be updated:

Exchanges:
https://freiexchange.com/market/GAP/BTC FreiExchange
https://freebitcoins.com/xchange/market/Bitcoin-Gapcoin/?aKey=d4408df79dc7397f5e85358bb65da52c2c3da033 FreeBitcoins XChange
https://c-patex.com/markets/gapbtc C-PatEx
https://www.unnamed.exchange/Exchange/Basic?market=GAP_BTC Unnamed Exchange

Pool:
https://gap.suprnova.cc Gapcoin Mining Pool

Cheers

Graham
UsernameNumber7

View Profile
March 09, 2021, 08:45:21 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2021, 08:58:21 PM by UsernameNumber7

Higgins,

You should start a new Blockchain and add in whatever you can think of like Zcash, Namecoin ect....using the PrimeGap mining to MERGE MINE with Original Gapcoin.

Starting a new Blockchain is the same as a HardFork.  

Creating a Merge Mined Coin will support Original Gapcoin just as much as your new Blockchain.  

As I will never HardFork. (The Original Miner Works too good) You will end up in the same position, but lacking full control like ANN thread ect...!  

You probably can do the website on the cheap and have BitcoinFX promote the Merge Mining to save all the time effort to run a website for a coin ect............

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2021, 11:09:57 PM

You should start a new Blockchain and add in whatever you can think of like Zcash, Namecoin ect....using the PrimeGap mining to MERGE MINE with Original Gapcoin.
Thank you for the suggestion but I decline. However, someone else might follow it up, there's nothing to prevent them.

Starting a new Blockchain is the same as a HardFork.  
False

Creating a Merge Mined Coin will support Original Gapcoin just as much as your new Blockchain.  
Thank you for the suggestion but as before, I decline.

As I will never HardFork. (The Original Miner Works too good) You will end up in the same position, but lacking full control like ANN thread ect...!  
I can only urge you to improve your understanding of the term “consensus”. No single node can thwart a majority consensus.

Cheers

Graham
UsernameNumber7

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 12:25:19 AM
Last edit: July 05, 2021, 11:51:41 PM by Welsh

Mod note: consecutive posts merged. hr included where necessary for clarity between merged posts  

Your Time here is based on shilling shitty hacked auto generated templates as "Development Sir".  It is not development.  You are trying to wait out everyone here with lack of development on the Gapcoin base code which you refuse to do 1 addition to.  

Instead you sit here and promote shit software that doesn't work properly for the main function of MINING PRIMEGAPS.

You were promoting the Death of Jonny Frey in your Gapcoin 9.4?

Why would you not try to build upon his code if you thought he was dead?

Trying to HardFork his work into Non-Functional code for it's primary purpose is not helping!

I want my backups from the start to work on the Blockchain in 1000 years, not be obsolete in 3 years!

Why would you NOT want to start your own Blockchain Higgins?

If you have all the Templates already set?Huh??

Make all your Gapcoin 20 HardFork into a New Blockchain that is Merge Mineable?

wizz13150

Activity: 67
Merit: 26

Tempus Narrabo

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 12:48:07 AM

Dang  Undecided
Bad day eh?

If only you could turn your attention to the miner...
CPU miner can probably be optimized a lot now.
CRT miner still remains a total mystery to me !
GPU miner is just broken for nvidia and need optimizations for amd.
All miners should be able to mine randomly several shifts.
Pools need to improve ( i saw only one) and accept correctly CRT.
Need to extract and analyse gaps (The point).

This is a crucial point in my opinion, and the one with the worst prospects for the future.
Like what, everyone has their own opinion on everything.

I have many ideas if you know how to code.
Why fixate on the wallet?
Go on discord at some point.

M. Higgins is busy.

Wizz_^
UsernameNumber7

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 08:06:40 AM

Smiley Mr. Higgins has done good ideas, and templates are to generate a lot of automated templates.  However that does not mean the hardware will accept them.  People can be tricked into accepting bad software which is where most errors occur is human error not hardware error.  Templates are to generate ideas, not to force merge ideas!  

I am actually using the Higgins idea to Mine different shifts on the same computer and just mined my first block doing it.

Using 2 wallets in 2 different databases and different ports.  

I am going to be experimenting with this for sure..........

wizz13150

Activity: 67
Merit: 26

Tempus Narrabo

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 10:13:50 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2021, 10:40:53 AM by wizz13150

I am actually using the Higgins idea to Mine different shifts on the same computer and just mined my first block doing it.

It's on Discord !
Different shifts yes, but not at the same time... Loop this :
https://github.com/wizz13150/GapcoinStuff/blob/main/%5Bgapminer-cpu%5DRunMultipleShiftsSuccessively.ps1

I'm collecting data from the CRT miner on the settings with different types of processors (number of cores). Fermat Threads need to increase with shifts.
And see how to produce CRT files which will be usable at higher difficulty. A crt file created for a merit of 22 is probably not going to be ideal if the difficulty increases. And I have already been able to create standard files with fewer candidates than stock files.
Also cpu-miner should have the '--range' option like the crt miner (Even longer to produce).

A lot to do for the miner. Others have better to do and they are busy.
The miners should be the top priority for the community, from my pov. We really need to find someone able to rewrite the miner.
Network hashrate is way too low ! Give me a Nvidia miner and it's going to double instantly.

If one day there is no longer a functional miner, there will be no more problem with the wallet.
Nor anything else.

Wizz_^
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2021, 11:41:26 AM
Last edit: July 05, 2021, 11:02:48 PM by Welsh

Your Time here is based on shilling shitty hacked auto generated templates
Your postings have become offensive again, I'm placing you on "Ignore" because I'm not obliged to submit to your abuse.

You claim "It really would not be much more work for someone to fork my repository" but are apparently incapable of doing the work yourself, rendering the claim baseless.

You claim that "there might be a fatal flaw with the Mining" yet fail to respond to my request for details or even an indication which miner you are using.

I want my backups from the start to work on the Blockchain in 1000 years, not be obsolete in 3 years!
By making such impractical demands, you are revealing your lack of understanding. Try it with a Bitcoin wallet, see how you get on.

I don't know what misunderstandings you harbour about the role of templates in the functioning of Gapcoin that lead you to make bizarre and confused statements such as "Templates are to generate ideas, not to force merge ideas" but the ONLY purpose of that post was to drive home the point that the Gapcoin 0.16 codebase is almost exactly the same as the Bitcoin codebase except that i) Gapcoin uses prime gap search as a PoW function whereas Bitcoin uses SHA256 hashing, ii) Bitcoin has a fixed block reward of 50 BTC per block whereas Gapcoin's block reward varies according to a function designed by j0nn9 and iii) Gapcoin necessarily uses a difficulty modifier based on prime gap search designed by j0nn9 whereas Bitcoin uses a difficulty modifier based on changing hash target. Other than that, the codebases are identical.

I'll reiterate one last time. The 0.16 codebase retains the versionbits code that enables soft forks to happen. That code is currently disabled in the Gapcoin 0.16 client.

The roadmap is:

1. After a majority of users have upgraded to the 0.16.3 client ...
2. At some widely-advertised point, the versionbits code is enabled to create a specific window of time
3. Users then download and use the new versionbits-enabled client, signalling their willingness to accept the change
4. When the window of time expires, assuming the majority of users are using the versionbits-enabled client, the change becomes permanent.
5. At some widely-advertised point, the block and transaction versions are bumped, excluding the old 0.9 clients from the network
6. A majority of users update to this new client.
7. At some widely-advertised point, an 0.20 client is released, no hard fork required as the necessary change in the network has already taken place.

Or ... y'all can just stick with the 0.9 client, I'm relaxed either way, given UsernameNumber7's confident claim: "It really would not be much more work for someone to fork my repository and build it up to Compile on Ubuntu and MX Linux.  And have someone generate a new Windows .exe zip file based on the updated code." - all you need to do is i) hope that he knows what he's talking about and ii) find someone to do the work and iii) not care about OS X users, oh and iv) find an acceptable means of generating and distributing Linux static binary apps because the Linux binaries will have to have been linked against old versions of OpenSSL and Boost which won't be available on any contemporary Linux distro. But I'm sure that if you ask him, he'll have a plan for that.

Cheers

Graham

We really need to find someone able to rewrite the miner.

According to j0nn9, there's just one candidate, "madmax" aka eXtremal-ik7 - (I’m not entirely sure j0nn9's conflation of two identities is correct but whatever...) the latter identity is still working in the area of primes-as-PoW, active in pursuing a Primecoin 0.16 wallet (Sunny King has pretty much abandoned Primecoin development) and operating the http://coinsforall.io prime-mining pool.

Some history ...

i’ve managed to build a experimental gpu miner...  The miner is a hybrid version of eXtremal’s fermat test and GapMiner’s sieve.

In the event, j0nn9 created an OpenCL version which he couldn't test on nVidia because he didn't have an nVidia card. It transpired that the OpenCL code wouldn't successfully execute on nVidia cards:

[2014-11-07 07:05:28] Server supports longpoll
[2014-11-07 07:05:28] Got new target: 13.0000000 @ 22.4320864
[2014-11-07 07:05:33] Found platform[0] name = NVIDIA CUDA
[2014-11-07 07:05:33] Found 3 device(s)
[2014-11-07 07:05:33] Compiling ...
[2014-11-07 07:05:33] Source: 205100 bytes
[2014-11-07 07:05:36] pps: -2147483648 / -2147483648  10g/h -2147483648 / -2147483648  15g/h -2147483648 / -2147483648
[2014-11-07 07:05:42] Compiled kernel binary size = 969615 bytes
[2014-11-07 07:05:42] Loaded kernel binary size = 969615 bytes
[2014-11-07 07:05:42] Using GPU 0 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]: which has 5 CUs
[2014-11-07 07:05:42] clWaitForEvents error -9999!
[2014-11-07 07:05:42] OpenCL error: -5 at ./src/GPUFermat.cpp:406
[2014-11-07 07:05:42] OpenCL error: -5 at ./src/GPUFermat.cpp:397
[2014-11-07 07:05:42] OpenCL error: -5 at ./src/GPUFermat.cpp:397

And it still won't. I recently compiled the GapMiner code (adding some print statements) and checked its execution on my old XPS with GeForce GTX 1050 and CUDA 11.0 only to see the exact same error messages:
[2021-03-06 10:08:40] Found platform[0] name = NVIDIA CUDA
[2021-03-06 10:08:40] Found 1 device(s)
[2021-03-06 10:08:40] Loaded kernel binary size = 973509 bytes
[2021-03-06 10:08:40] Using GPU 0 [GeForce GTX 1050]: which has 5 CUs
[2021-03-06 10:08:40] Got new target: 22.2657854 @ 22.2657854
running 16384 fermat tests on the gpu
[2021-03-06 10:08:40] clWaitForEvents error -9999!
[2021-03-06 10:08:40] OpenCL error: -5 at ./src/GPUFermat.cpp:440
[2021-03-06 10:08:40] OpenCL error: -5 at ./src/GPUFermat.cpp:431
[2021-03-06 10:08:40] clWaitForEvents error -9999!
[2021-03-06 10:08:40] OpenCL error: -5 at ./src/GPUFermat.cpp:440

However, I can't proceed any further atm, there seems to be an unrelated general nVidia issue with my new XPS with GeForce GTX 1060 and CUDA 11.2:

[2021-03-06 10:08:04] OpenCL error: -1001 at ./src/GPUFermat.cpp:135
[2021-03-06 10:08:04] OpenCL error: -34 at ./src/GPUFermat.cpp:425
[2021-03-06 10:08:04] Got new target: 22.2657854 @ 22.2657854
[2021-03-06 10:08:04] OpenCL error: -36 at ./src/GPUFermat.cpp:431
./runminergpu: line 18: 456200 Segmentation fault      (core dumped)

Anyway, here's something to consider ...

eXtremal-ik7 is also the source of the current XPM miner - and Datacoin shares that PoW code, so the XPM miner works with Datacoin.

On the offchance, I downloaded the linux binary xpmclient-cuda-10.5-beta2-linux for eXtremal-ik7's xpmclient from the coinsforall.io pool, pointed it at Datacoin and it worked! (on my old XPS, that is - it blows up on the new XPS, indicative of a machine issue rather than an issue with the code).

So, we know that a CUDA-based implementation of prime mining works even if the OpenCL doesn't. j0nn9 created an OpenCL version of three GPU-specific source code files, benchmarks.cl, fermat.cl and procs.cl. What we'd want (to avoid nVidia's apparently broken support for OpenCL) is three CUDA files to replace the OpenCL ones - like those available in eXtremal-ik7's xpmclient repos: benchmarks.cu, fermat.cu and procs.cu. At first glance, it looks like that might be a good route forward.

But that's just a starting point. The GapMiner implementation is ancient and relies upon a long-removed RPC API call getwork (which I had to reimplement for the Gapcoin 0.16.3 client) replaced entirely by the getblocktemplate RPC API call. The difference is that with getwork, it is the client which creates the blocks to be mined, with getblocktemplate, the task of creating the blocks now rests with the miner, the client merely transmits the acceptable parameters. This change was part of the move to versionbits (soft-forks) which allows miners to signal their change preferences using the versionbits bit-signalling - not something that's possible when the client just dumps a monolithic block to be fed to the PoW calculation.

So it's long past the due date for a re-write of the GapMiner interface with the client. eXtremal-ik7's xpmminer is a good starting point for an adaptation to Gapcoin, it contains the block-assembly code that's needed to create blocks from the data returned by a getblocktemplate call and is a complete standalone miner implementation.

Take a look at the build.sh script (note that although not specified,  the CLRX code is available from Github)

If I didn't have this CUDA/OpenCL issue on my current XPS, it's where I'd be starting if I were interested in creating a new CPU/GPU-capable GapMiner.

If one day there is no longer a functional miner, there will be no more problem with the wallet.
Nor anything else.
And there you have neatly encapsulated my objective in restoring the in-wallet miner, as long as that remains operational, the chain can continue.

Cheers

Graham
PrimeObsession

Activity: 9
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 11, 2021, 04:06:22 PM
Merited by UsernameNumber7 (1)

To avoid the possibility of losing coins, please refrain from making transactions with the 0.16.3 client until you've switched to the new binaries/source code pre-released as 0.1rc-beta: https://github.com/gjhiggins/gapcoin-core/releases/tag/v0.1rc-beta

Please follow Mr. Higgins' advice and update - there were 15K+ GAP effectively burnt in 6+ transactions:

Pages: « 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: