Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:00:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PCI-E 7 slot expansion board  (Read 7750 times)
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:22:27 PM

If AMD ever changed their drivers to allow 16 (or better unlimited) GPU per system well then it might make more sense.
How much worse are the open source ATI drivers for linux than the proprietary ones for mining? It seems that it should be possible to modify them to remove a limit, but if they perform badly then there may be no point.

Yeah open source drivers for mining would really be HEAVEN for me. Screw AMD and their crappy drivers and bugs.

Somebody with the skill ( like ArtForz ) needs to try and sort this out for us.

Look here to start :

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:23:27 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2012, 08:27:34 PM by rjk

If AMD ever changed their drivers to allow 16 (or better unlimited) GPU per system well then it might make more sense.
How much worse are the open source ATI drivers for linux than the proprietary ones for mining? It seems that it should be possible to modify them to remove a limit, but if they perform badly then there may be no point.

There are no open sources drivers which are OpenCL capable.
Damn shame.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:25:13 PM

Yeah open source drivers for mining would really be HEAVEN for me. Screw AMD and their crappy drivers and bugs.

Somebody with the skill ( like ArtForz ) needs to try and sort this out for us.

Amd doesn't provide sufficient data on internal workings of chip to write OpenSource OpenCL drivers.  Many have asked AMD claims they can't for industry trade secret and competitive advantage reasons.

Without AMD support it is unlikely any Open Source driver that takes advantage of shaders will ever exist.
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:30:25 PM

Without AMD support it is unlikely any Open Source driver that takes advantage of shaders will ever exist.
Err, what?
Take a look at the Xorg radeon driver and how it does several parts of 2D acceleration on 5xxx and 69xx Wink

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
bulanula

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:32:30 PM

Err, what?
Take a look at the Xorg radeon driver and how it does several parts of 2D acceleration on 5xxx and 69xx Wink

Yeah, I pointed that out above but D&T is under the impression that Intel and open source ATI drivers don't support OpenCL when in fact they do ( somewhat ).

If someone could let us use the damn open source drivers that would be magical. No need to have X server running anymore !
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:34:52 PM

Err, what?

Yeah, I pointed that out above but D&T is under the impression that Intel and open source ATI drivers don't support OpenCL when in fact they do ( somewhat ).

If someone could let us use the damn open source drivers that would be magical. No need to have X server running anymore !

Artz didn't say open sources drivers support OpenCL.

You claim is incorrect.
No Open Source driver supports OpenCL despite a lot of asking by the community.  
Intel has no graphical driver which support OpenCL (they only support OpenCL on CPU).

If someone could let us use the damn open source drivers
Who is stopping you?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:39:12 PM

Err, what?

My understanding is that 2D acceleration was made possible with support from AMD.  My point was that adding OpenCL to open source drivers would require AMD assistance (assistance they have so far been unwilling to provide) not that it would be impossible.
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:50:41 PM

My understanding is that 2D acceleration was made possible with support from AMD.  My point was that adding OpenCL to open source drivers would require AMD assistance (assistance they have so far been unwilling to provide) not that it would be impossible.
Now that I can agree with.
The work required to add OpenCL support is pretty massive, and AFAIK there's pretty much 0 done on a open source OpenCL -> VLIWx shader asm compiler, several other large parts of the puzzle are also completely missing (runtime, runtime/opengl/driver integration/...).
But saying that the open source driver can't use shaders is wrong.
Now, for something like a dedicated miner for 5/6xxx you'd "only" have to handcraft a kernel for each arch in VLIWx ASM (fully documented in public AMD docs btw) and hack the radeon driver so it allocates input/output regions and loads/runs your shader program on command. Iirc there's still a open 200BTC bounty for a miner working like that. but it's a *lot* of work for very little benefit.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 04:55:04 PM

My understanding is that 2D acceleration was made possible with support from AMD.  My point was that adding OpenCL to open source drivers would require AMD assistance (assistance they have so far been unwilling to provide) not that it would be impossible.
Now that I can agree with.
The work required to add OpenCL support is pretty massive, and AFAIK there's pretty much 0 done on a open source OpenCL -> VLIWx shader asm compiler, several other large parts of the puzzle are also completely missing (runtime, runtime/opengl/driver integration/...).
But saying that the open source driver can't use shaders is wrong.
Now, for something like a dedicated miner for 5/6xxx you'd "only" have to handcraft a kernel for each arch in VLIWx ASM (fully documented in public AMD docs btw) and hack the radeon driver so it allocates input/output regions and loads/runs your shader program on command. Iirc there's still a open 200BTC bounty for a miner working like that. but it's a *lot* of work for very little benefit.

I think I understand.  So while it wouldn't be possible to implement OpenCL (which is rather expansive API) hack together low level support just for mining and implement that in a fork of OpenSource drivers?  The code wouldn't be openCL compatible but would function at a lower level.

Has anyone done a proof of concept?  Something simpler than mining maybe something as simple as loading an value, increment it in a loop and then read the output?

I never thought about doing it that way.  Hopefully someday AMD provides support for OpenCL in OpenSource drivers as that is a pretty ugly "hack".
bulanula

View Profile
May 09, 2012, 04:38:24 PM

Anyone tried this board Huh

http://www.amfeltec.com/products/x4pcie-splitter4.php
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
May 21, 2012, 07:16:58 PM

I talkedto them about gpus on that thing and they say itll work Wink

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our product.

This splitter has 3 x1PCI express adapters for plugging add-in boards. If your GPU has x16 PCI express interface you need to use additional passive adapter for converting x16 PCI express to x1 PCI express.

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best regards.
Support Team
AMFELTEC Corp.

Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:18 AM
To: support@amfeltec.com
Subject: GPGPU / CUDA / Stream? SKU-040-01

Hi,
i was wondering if this PCIe splitter (SKU-040-01) can handle some GPUs for folding and Bitcoin mining?

regards

sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 04:30:22 AM

price = highly unreasonable..
http://www.thedebugstore.com/acatalog/SKU-040-02-PCIe-Splitter.html

Price:£121.00 / €148.83 (Excluding VAT at 20%)

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: