Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:41:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Commodity-backed future  (Read 1353 times)
Normandoyle (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

meow

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 08:50:27 PM

Since Cannabiscoin is backed by Marijuana grown by the devs, and Urocoin is backed by 1 tonne of Urea, what does this mean for the future of commodity-backed cryptocurrencies?? I think something huge is on the horizon.

If done right by trusted developers, we could be seeing more coins like this.

What do you guys want to see in a future commodity-backed coin?

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Guglimugli

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 08:54:23 AM

Since Cannabiscoin is backed by Marijuana grown by the devs, and Urocoin is backed by 1 tonne of Urea, what does this mean for the future of commodity-backed cryptocurrencies?? I think something huge is on the horizon.

do you think there will be Millions of coins for all the commodities that you consume? lol
Normandoyle (OP)

meow

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 06:35:56 PM

do you think there will be Millions of coins for all the commodities that you consume? lol

No, you are misunderstanding me. I'd hate for there to be a coin for every commodity.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 06:40:31 PM

BitsharesX will have commodity derivatives. bitGold is already trading, with more commodities in the pipeline.
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 07:05:13 PM

No, you are misunderstanding me. I'd hate for there to be a coin for every commodity.

The first pick will be a subset of commodities that could really benefit from using coins. In a way URO opened a can of worms. Dont mistake me there, I still doubt URO is real. But as an example for this type of coin still serves best.
Normandoyle (OP)

meow

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 08:23:57 PM

The first pick will be a subset of commodities that could really benefit from using coins. In a way URO opened a can of worms. Dont mistake me there, I still doubt URO is real. But as an example for this type of coin still serves best.

URO has seen a nice rise in the past week from $0.30 to $1.60. Not sure how much 1 URO is right now but if it hits $300+ next month, I will shit myself.
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 01:18:23 AM

URO has seen a nice rise in the past week from $0.30 to $1.60. Not sure how much 1 URO is right now but if it hits $300+ next month, I will shit myself.

Grin me too. Even on parity, UREA varies between $200~$400 and URO cannot level that completely, since it will not cover whole of the market. IF ever happens, since the gap between $1.60 and $300 is a huuge one. Maybe some traders do fear stability (naturally) but I do believe we need at least some more of that.

BIG QUESTION: Which other commodity coins are out there, and still overlooked  Huh the quest for the next big thing
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 07, 2014, 08:16:16 AM

You're obviously new to this stuff.  There's been pump of the month / flavour of the month since January.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
smalltimer

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 03:37:57 AM

the thing with commodity-backed coins are a few:

1st) backing is hard to do in a decentralised way. The backer is central in most cases

2nd) the idea of backing crypto opens doors to scams. True backing should only be called what i can opt to get delivered. I can claim my coin would be backed by diamonds but since i claim to have them hidden under my mattrass and they are locked away it is trust based (in reality i don't have diamonds, i just pretend to)

3rd) if a coin is really and truely backed by a commodity its price will be closely tied to that backing thus the coin would only be as volatile as the commodity it is tied to. Speculation in that coin would be speculation in the commodity it is backed by (with the increased risks that are inherent to cryptocoins) .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: