Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:54:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit Bitcoin Centralizes All Bitcoin News  (Read 2229 times)
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2014, 09:45:45 PM

Going to re-analyze a few of your statements:

What we discovered is many people are only going to Reddit Bitcoin for news.

That's what they want to do!  And apparently Reddit's policies (which you call censorship and they call spam prevention) are what their readers want, because apparently they are fantastically successful.

If they are making a mistake, their readers will leave them.

Reddit Bitcoin is heavily censored, and is now an additional central point of failure for Bitcoin.

This could only be true if there were something other than market forces responsible for Reddit's success.  They are regulated by their market, just like all of the rest of us.

Even in a non-profit venture, you are regulated by your market.

I think we need to get the news back on Bitcoin Talk!

Now that I agree with!  I have no idea why people would rather go to Reddit than here.  I get my news from here and a handful of other places, none of which is Reddit.

But really I seem to eventually hear most of what I need to hear, even if it takes awhile to get from Reddit to here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rampage101 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 09:53:20 PM

However, this doesn't mean that you can violate reddit's spam rules and complain when they ban you, as is their clearly stated policy.

You then double broke the rules buying alt accounts and trying to spam further?

Seriously, have you even read the rules of the site?  It sounds to me as if you still haven't, despite all this.

Yes, we broke the rules by posting our own articles there... I guess Coin Desk only has their readers post their articles there, and nobody from Coin Desk has ever themselves submitted an article.

As I wrote, we never received a warning that we violated any rules. My account was banned while I had paid ads as well running on the site. I had no idea the rules were so strict there.

We only bought a Reddit account off Fiverr to verify that our URL is indeed blocked. AND my IP address and any IP associated with me is also blocked. Not sure what the danger was in buying a Reddit account when our URL was already permanently blocked?

We never once got a complaint from Reddit Bitcoin. It was a top level moderator who banned us and knew nothing about Bitcoin.

Read about Reddit bans, many people get permanently banned because they disagree with some random moderator.

rampage101 (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 10:02:38 PM

This could only be true if there were something other than market forces responsible for Reddit's success.  They are regulated by their market, just like all of the rest of us.

Reddit has created the most powerful sharing platform in the world... that does not mean they are operating it optimally though.

Their policies change without notice... we were sharing for over a month on there with no problems; our articles usually got some upvotes.

Reddit permanently banned my URL, but said I could still do paid advertising with them. How does that make any sense to you?

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 02:41:59 PM

However, this doesn't mean that you can violate reddit's spam rules and complain when they ban you, as is their clearly stated policy.

You then double broke the rules buying alt accounts and trying to spam further?

Seriously, have you even read the rules of the site?  It sounds to me as if you still haven't, despite all this.

Yes, we broke the rules by posting our own articles there... I guess Coin Desk only has their readers post their articles there, and nobody from Coin Desk has ever themselves submitted an article.

As I wrote, we never received a warning that we violated any rules. My account was banned while I had paid ads as well running on the site. I had no idea the rules were so strict there.

We only bought a Reddit account off Fiverr to verify that our URL is indeed blocked. AND my IP address and any IP associated with me is also blocked. Not sure what the danger was in buying a Reddit account when our URL was already permanently blocked?

We never once got a complaint from Reddit Bitcoin. It was a top level moderator who banned us and knew nothing about Bitcoin.

Read about Reddit bans, many people get permanently banned because they disagree with some random moderator.

You have to keep in mind that Reddit is accountable to the people who read on their site and to the people who run the site - not to people who want to use their site to build traffic.  The very fact that you want to do that puts you firmly in a category where they are not going to care what you think about their policies.  They don't have to warn you, they don't have to be fair to you, they don't have to be consistent - and they are not wrong for doing any of this.  They can do whatever they want with their site - it's theirs!

Pick any site with user submitted content and more than one moderator and I can find you posts elsewhere from people complaining they were banned just because they disagree.  That's fine.  Sites can do what they want!

Reddit is just not that into you!

tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 11:06:12 PM

neither you, nor your "readers" should be allowed to spam reddit. 
i hope your "readers" don't start a new post here for every one of your articles or the same wll happen to you on bct.
raveldoni

Activity: 434

🤖UBEX.COM 🤖

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 05:32:30 AM

Reddit has always been stricter than any other website and that's why they have a nice community. If you want to post a link of your spam free website, first thing you need to do is to send a message to any sub-reddit mods and explain nicely.

GLOBAL DECENTRALIZED ADVERTISING EXCHANGE

Token sale: MAY 21

▄█▄      ▄█▄        
                                 █████    █████       
                        ▄██▄     ▀█▀      ▀█▀        
                ▄█▄    ▀██▀                           
         ▄     ▀█▀                        ▄█▄        
        ▀█▀                      ▄█▄     █████       
                        ▄██▄    █████     ▀█▀        
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀                  
         ▄     ▀█▀                        ▄█▄        
        ▀█▀                      ▄█▄     █████       
                        ▄██▄    █████     ▀█▀        
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀                  
                ▀█▀                                    
          ▄                      ▄█▄      ▄█▄        
         ▀█▀           ▄██▄    █████    █████       
   ██          ▄█▄    ▀██▀     ▀█▀      ▀█▀        
                ▀█▀                                    
           ▄                      ▄█▄     ▄█▄        
          ▀█▀            ▄██▄   █████   █████       
    ██            ▄█▄   ▀██▀    ▀█▀     ▀█▀        
             ▄    ▀█▀                                 
            ▀█▀                         ▄█▄           
       ██              ▄█▄   ▄██▄    █████          
                  ▄    ▀█▀   ▀██▀     ▀█▀           
                 ▀█▀                                   
            ██                   ▄██▄                 
                    ▄     ▄█▄   ▀██▀                 
                   ▀█▀    ▀█▀                          

▄█   ▄█  ▄█        ▄█████▄   ▀█▄     ▄█▀
██   ██  ██▄▄▄▄▄   ██▀   ▀██    ▀█▄  ▄█▀
██   ██  ██▀▀▀▀██  ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ████   
██   ██  ██   ██  ██▄   ▄█    ▄██▀▀██▄   
▀██████▀  ▀██████▀  ▀███████▀   ▄██▀   ▀██▄
Telegram
Facebook
ANN Thread
Youtube
LinkedIn
Twitter
Medium
Reddit
Github
BTCmoons

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Why should the rules not apply to you guys as well?

We are asking that our URL be unblocked, not so that we can spam again, but that if a reader of ours wanted to post they can. Right now, none of articles can ever reach Reddit Bitcoin again, and submitting one of our articles will get your Reddit account banned too.

Don't know if you have noticed, but places like WIRED magazine have their articles submitted to over 10+ subreddits and nobody says this is spam. Why is that? I am not saying we are the same as Wired... but I do not think it so unreasonable for us to submit our articles to Reddit Bitcoin only.

Where else should we share the articles then? We've tried every other social network and the traffic is tiny compared to Reddit.

Nobody thinks it is an issue that most people just get their Bitcoin news from Reddit only? And the fact that this is a heavily censored medium?  
If you break the rules to the extend that your website gets banned then there is no reason why your website should get unbanned. The likely reason that other reputable news organizations have their articles submitted to reddit is because many people already read them without going to reddit and submit them independently and find them interesting/useful.

I am not sure if you are the same as 'banksworstfear.com' but you very much remind me of them, as you both are in very similar situations
rampage101 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:20:18 PM

I am not sure if you are the same as 'banksworstfear.com' but you very much remind me of them, as you both are in very similar situations

Found out about them yesterday while searching for information about Reddit bans.

Interestingly enough his site was also running ad free as mine is... yet CCN and CoinDesk which have lots of ads, have their articles on Reddit Bitcoin every day. Just because it comes from a bigger user base, means they should be able to make money off it?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: