Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:21:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How about a bitcoin.* NNTP hierarchy?  (Read 2149 times)
kseistrup (OP)

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2011, 11:25:18 AM

[Inspired by the “Switch forum software” thread]

Personally I prefer NNTP to any web forum, and I'd welcome a bitcoin ‘usenet’ discussion forum.

For almost a decade I've been operating two NNTP servers, and I'd like to peer bitcoin.* with anyone who thinks this could be cool.  We'd have to discuss which groups to create, obviously.  I can throw in the Scandinavian hierarchies (dk.*, fo.*, is.*, no.*, se.*, swnet.*) and Big 8 (comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*) if you like.

I do not want the hazzle of accomodating online users (i.e., NNTP clients), so I'm only interested in peering with other NNTP servers.  I could talk to the admin of Usenet4All to see if he would be willing to host the bitcoind.* hierarchy, though.

Anyone?

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12982

View Profile
May 14, 2011, 08:46:21 PM

That'd be great!

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 03:00:12 AM

That would be awesome. Does bitcoin really need its own top level, though? Why not alt.bitcoin.*? (Perfect for the Anarchists, Lunatics, and Terrorists around here, after all.)

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
kseistrup (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 05:04:03 AM

Does bitcoin really need its own top level, though? Why not alt.bitcoin.*? (Perfect for the Anarchists, Lunatics, and Terrorists around here, after all.)

There's too much crap in the alt.* hierarchy, IMHO, and my servers are rejecting all messages posted in or crossposted to any alt.* group.

If people prefer a bitcoin subhierarchy in the the alt.* hierarchy I'm cool with that, but then I'm not going to particpate…

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Ian Maxwell

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 05:06:37 AM

No worries, bitcoin.* is fine as well. A top-level hierarchy in the hand is better than a well-placed subhierarchy in the bush, and all.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
kseistrup (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 05:28:02 AM

Smiley

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
SteveB

Activity: 170

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 10:47:58 PM

... There's too much crap in the alt.* hierarchy ...

All the good stuff is in the alt.* hierarchy  Wink
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
May 18, 2011, 12:02:23 AM

+1 for this idea... but only if it mirrors or replaces the forums.

Not interested in fragmenting the discussion...

Ian Maxwell

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 11:48:45 AM

Personally, I'd like bitcoin.* to be far more laissez faire than this forum, so that the moderators here can act with a clearer conscience. Way too many discusions here start out interesting and devolve into warmed-over ideological contests. I think this gives us an image problem, but I don't want to stop people from speaking their mind. It would be nice if the moderators could say, "Hey, take that stuff to bitcoin.holy-wars," when such things came up.

Likewise, I see no reason why something like bitcoin.trade.drugs couldn't exist. Bitcoin and Usenet are both international, after all, and Usenetters know enough not to judge Bitcoin based on one or two newsgroups.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 03:09:06 PM

Is it possible to have a one-way mirror to the forums, so you'd have a read-only section here with the messages posted to the NNTP groups shown? I think moving discussion to a less mainstream medium might result in the perception Bitcoin is being run by some kind of small elite group of individuals.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
kseistrup (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2011, 03:42:59 PM

Is it possible to have a one-way mirror to the forums, so you'd have a read-only section here with the messages posted to the NNTP groups shown? I think moving discussion to a less mainstream medium might result in the perception Bitcoin is being run by some kind of small elite group of individuals.

There's no talk about moving the entire Bitcoin Forum to NNTP.  The thread here deals with a potential bitcoin hierarchy in NNTP space, meant to be just a subset of the global bitcoin discussion fora (which includes WWW, IRC, …).  The Bitcoin Forum here is already [too] voluminous as it is; increasing the number of messages are likely to decrease its usefulness, IMHO.

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: