Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:57:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newsweek could get sued for its dubious Bitcoin scoop | VOX Report  (Read 2018 times)
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1570

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 09:58:27 AM
Last edit: October 15, 2014, 10:28:40 AM by pawel7777

That's arbitrary. If he is Satoshi, then yes it's newsworthy. But if such assumption was based only on questionable evidence (name-match, the fact he didn't trust government too much etc) then the court may decide it was not newsworthy and that they violated his privacy.

Edit:

Dude, read all of what you said in reverse.    

What you essentially said is that everyone should be considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law (and perhaps after all appeals have expired as well).  

That's not at all what I said. Dude.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Armis

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 10:42:36 AM

Dude, read all of what you said in reverse.   

What you essentially said is that everyone should be considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law (and perhaps after all appeals have expired as well). 

That's not at all what I said. Dude.

If I wanted to quote you I would have done so, but I choose to paraphrase.  All actions, be they inside of or outside of court, prior to a finding of guilt in court are simply accusations, including any lodged by the press or anyone in this forum.

The press has a responsibility as a professional entity to act in a professional manner, it does not appear that they have acted in any actionable way.   If anyone thought the media was abusing that privileged certainly a demand for injunctive relief would have been sought -- was there any such injunction or restraining order granted or even filed against the media?

At this point this is all old no-one-really-cares-anymore news.

HELP.org

Activity: 510
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 02:23:29 PM

That's arbitrary. If he is Satoshi, then yes it's newsworthy. But if such assumption was based only on questionable evidence (name-match, the fact he didn't trust government too much etc) then the court may decide it was not newsworthy and that they violated his privacy.

it is not "arbitrary" but it is open to some interpretation.  They could have a judge decide but they could have a jury decide rather than the courts.  In any case due to the number of news stories and discussions I just think it is a play by the lawyers to get some cash and the claim will go nowhere.

Certified Bitcoin Professional
Bicoin.me - Bitcoin.me!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 02:25:51 PM

Even if this is true or not,they do get deserved to be sued for it.
I mean after all, since this was proven not to be true, why did they refuse to take it down and/or apologize publicly?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1570

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2014, 02:39:08 PM

I mean after all, since this was proven not to be true, why did they refuse to take it down and/or apologize publicly?

Agree, I'd love to see them paying compensation to Dorian. But as far as I know, Newsweek never admitted that they were wrong. If they did publically apologize, it would not only damage their reputation, but would make suing them much easier.

In any case due to the number of news stories and discussions I just think it is a play by the lawyers to get some cash and the claim will go nowhere.

It's pretty obvious. If they'll manage to get crowdfunded, they will get their money either way, win or lose.

EDIT:

So far they raised ~1.9 BTC (and already cashed out 0.635 ?):

https://blockchain.info/address/1LK3uHXhXPzR6M7AfAMQk4vBgTtQLw2kGC

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Armis

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 15, 2014, 10:07:41 PM

hahahaha, how was it "proven not to be true"   because he said: "no, that's not me" ? hahahahahaa

scarsbergholden

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 01:57:10 AM

it is not "arbitrary" but it is open to some interpretation.  They could have a judge decide but they could have a jury decide rather than the courts.  In any case due to the number of news stories and discussions I just think it is a play by the lawyers to get some cash and the claim will go nowhere.
Does newsweek not have it's right to freedom of speech and the freedom of the press? The idea behind both of these rights is that they allow for people to say and publish controversial ideas without the thread of criminal or civil prosecution.

The only thing that newsweek could potentially be liable for is slander however they did not publish anything false that is negative to his reputation

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 02:48:05 AM

He should sue and let them defend their right to be bad journalists.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
October 16, 2014, 10:50:21 PM

This is actually a right of Newsweek. If they are bad journalists then people will not buy their magazine nor will they read their news on their website. Not checking facts and reporting false information they believe to be true is not illegal and if they were to lose such a case it would have chilling effects on the first amendment.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 09:08:18 AM

This is actually a right of Newsweek. If they are bad journalists then people will not buy their magazine nor will they read their news on their website. Not checking facts and reporting false information they believe to be true is not illegal and if they were to lose such a case it would have chilling effects on the first amendment.
You mean that piece of paper they used to call the Bill of Rights? That is so 20th century.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: