Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:27:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is mean by "Enter Available Shares" in bitaddress.org?  (Read 1612 times)
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 12:06:05 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2014, 05:38:45 PM by Muhammed Zakir

What does mean by "Enter Available Shares" in bitaddress.org?

~~MZ~~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 12:26:19 PM

What does mean by "Enter Available Shares" in bitaddress.org?

Never used or tried that but I guess the first two boxes mean 2-of-3, then you click on Generate and 3 shares are generated. Pasting any 2 of them in the large box below would yield a privkey.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 12:30:52 PM

I think the word "share" is probably not the best choice - am pretty sure that in order to construct a M of N address you need to use "public keys" (rather than addresses) so maybe they should change the word "share" to "public key"?

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 12:38:25 PM

I think the word "share" is probably not the best choice - am pretty sure that in order to construct a M of N address you need to use "public keys" (rather than addresses) so maybe they should change the word "share" to "public key"?

That would be for a multisig address, however this seems to be effectively shares to a single private key.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 12:40:27 PM

That would be for a multisig address, however this seems to be effectively shares to a single private key.

Oh - oops - I see - so it just *divides* the private key into "parts".

Maybe "parts" would have been a better word then (they would have to be kept in the right order so am guessing they might "prefix" each part with a number to be able to re-assemble the private key correctly).

EDIT: Now I know why they use the word "share" - they are using Shamir's Secret Sharing algo (which will also prefix each part but you only need M of N parts to recreate the shared secret).

Nice addition!

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 04:53:47 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2014, 05:28:58 PM by Muhammed Zakir

Now I know why they use the word "share" - they are using Shamir's Secret Sharing algo (which will also prefix each part but you only need M of N parts to recreate the shared secret).

Nice addition!

Yes, it is for multisig address. When I click generate it is saying to enter valid integer between 3 and 20(I don't remember correctly-very hard to check it now as I am in mobile). So what should I enter there?

~~MZ~~

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 04:56:40 PM

Yes, it is for multisig address. When I click generate it is saying to enter valid integer between 3 and 20(I don't remember correctly-very hard to check it now as I am in mobile). So what should I enter there?

I don't think it is *multisig* in the Bitcoin sense but instead is using Shamir's Secret Shared algo (you might want to find out more about it first).

Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 05:38:15 PM

I don't think it is *multisig* in the Bitcoin sense but instead is using Shamir's Secret Shared algo (you might want to find out more about it first).

Thanks for telling! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamir's_Secret_Sharing : This is the one, right? So that means our private key is split it into N parts where M of N parts is needed(somewhat like multisig), in my case it will be split into 3 parts where 2 parts is needed to send a tx. It is combining the private key rather than splitting it, if I am right. So is this for combing parts of multisig address or any other purpose? If you can, please define. Thanks! Smiley

~~MZ~~

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 05:52:01 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2014, 06:50:43 PM by CIYAM

Assuming it is using Shamir's (and I guess so by their use of the word "shared" that confused you to start with) then it is a "multisig" concept but not the Bitcoin *multisig* concept.

So it isn't using Bitcoin multisig *just one private key* but you can get that private key by N of M people providing their "secret share" of the private key.

Hope that makes some sense.

Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 06:06:54 PM

Assuming it is using Shamir's (and I guess so by there use of the word "shared" that confused you to start with) then it is a "multisig" concept but not the Bitcoin *multisig* concept.

So it isn't using Bitcoin multisig *just one private key* but you can get that private key by N of M people providing their "secret share" of the private key.

Hope that makes some sense.

Yes, now it really do! Cheesy So, how to generate shares of the private key? Is there any tool for that? Huh

~~MZ~~

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2014, 06:16:29 PM

Yes, now it really do! Cheesy So, how to generate shares of the private key? Is there any tool for that? Huh

I'd assume that it would do that for you (but I am not familiar with this new version of bitaddress.org).

dserrano5
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2014, 06:49:29 PM

So, how to generate shares of the private key? Is there any tool for that? Huh

bitaddress generates a new random key and splits it. You can't split a specific privkey.
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 04:39:15 AM

So, how to generate shares of the private key? Is there any tool for that? Huh

bitaddress generates a new random key and splits it. You can't split a specific privkey.

Thank you, CIYAM and dserrano5! Now understood! There is java script in Shamir's secret sharing wiki page, can it be used to split private key(after a few changes, if needed)?

~~MZ~~

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 05:45:23 AM

I just took a quick look at their source code and it does indeed appear as though they are using Shamir's Secret Sharing algorithm (just test it and see if it works would be my suggestion).

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 18, 2014, 05:54:27 AM

Here's page with some more info and another demo: http://point-at-infinity.org/ssss/index.html  IIRC, you will see different results for the "shares" value, both solutions work as advertised though. ssss is in the Ubuntu repository since Trusty.

The way it's implemented on bitadress currently, it will generate a private key for you. For us who like to generate our own private key (outside of bitadddress), but still would like to split it using their site, there is a fix described here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43496.msg8041834#msg8041834

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Muhammed Zakir (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2014, 06:34:52 AM

Here's page with some more info and another demo: http://point-at-infinity.org/ssss/index.html  IIRC, you will see different results for the "shares" value, both solutions work as advertised though. ssss is in the Ubuntu repository since Trusty.

The way it's implemented on bitadress currently, it will generate a private key for you. For us who like to generate our own private key (outside of bitadddress), but still would like to split it using their site, there is a fix described here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43496.msg8041834#msg8041834

Thanks! ssss seems to like a good software. And, I will give this a try! Smiley

Of course it makes sense. I was so annoyed because of this feature missing that I decided to start learning javascript. Because I am not a programmer it took me one whole day to figure it out.

Under "splitKey: function" replace the line:
var key = new Bitcoin.ECKey(false)

with this line:
var mykey = document.getElementById("combineinput").value.replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g, "").toString();
if ("combineinput" == "") {var key = new Bitcoin.ECKey(false)} else {var key = new Bitcoin.ECKey(mykey)};

Now you can enter your private key into the box under "Enter Available Shares (whitespace separated)" and press the generate button. If you leave the box empty it will generate (and split) new private key.

~~MZ~~

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: