Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 12:07:58 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which offline wallet do you use, and why?  (Read 5243 times)
faince222

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 03:19:02 PM

Best offline wallet is paper wallet. You can insert it in a safe baggage and forget it for many years in total safe from all type of thief  Smiley
ladybitcoin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 03:25:23 PM

Best offline wallet is paper wallet. You can insert it in a safe baggage and forget it for many years in total safe from all type of thief  Smiley
I am interested in this paper wallet but have no idea about this can you give me information or any link about this I need to do work on this one if its works for me then hope I will keep this one
Shogen
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 04:29:51 PM

I am interested in this paper wallet but have no idea about this can you give me information or any link about this I need to do work on this one if its works for me then hope I will keep this one

Please take a look at https://blockchain.info/wallet/paper-tutorial and http://www.coindesk.com/information/paper-wallet-tutorial/, and you should have a better understanding on paper wallet. Smiley

mullerdan

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 05:16:52 PM

use bitcoin-core, its a great wallet!
junkskin

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 05:21:35 PM

use bitcoin-core, its a great wallet!
Valuable information. Thank you
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 05:24:57 PM

The private key to your address controls the bitcoins.  If you write that private key down on a piece of paper then that's a paper wallet.  That's all it is.  The benefit of a paper wallet is that instead of keeping your private key on your computer, which can be hacked, it's on a piece of paper that can't be hacked.  (But of course it can be stolen or lost, just like cash)

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
ladybitcoin

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 05:49:32 PM

The private key to your address controls the bitcoins.  If you write that private key down on a piece of paper then that's a paper wallet.  That's all it is.  The benefit of a paper wallet is that instead of keeping your private key on your computer, which can be hacked, it's on a piece of paper that can't be hacked.  (But of course it can be stolen or lost, just like cash)
Thanks for your all this informative reply now I am going to try this hope its works for me
keackh

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 06:47:06 PM

Bitcoin-QT (Core) is a great client which you can download for any platform (Win, Mac, Linux) and you actually become a node so you have a copy of the blockchain on your computer and have a record of every transaction.
etihstaf

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 10:22:01 PM

I'm considering using an Electrum wallet. Any risks or downsides I should take into consideration with this particular wallet?

When transfering BTC to my electrum wallet, can I shut down the computer or does it have to run with the electrum software on?

After I transferd some BTC to my electrum wallet, do I have to save and make a new copy of my wallet, each time? Or will the file automatically be updated with all the btc I get? I mean if I have a few backup files on some different places, do I need to touch them or are they automatically updating them self?

The risk lies in the fact that you're trusting the electrum servers to not lie to you about your balance.  They can't steal any BTC, but you get your balance information from them, that's why you don't have to download the blockchain.

The only backup you need to do is write down your seed when creating the wallet.

Thanks for the reply.
goldsun (OP)

Activity: 123

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 07:45:07 PM

All transactions happen on the blockchain, not on your computer.  So you don't need to do anything or have anything on to receive coins.

Yeah you are right. Not sure why I thought I had to have my computer on while doing transactions in electrum. Its strange that electrum download was smooth, but for bitcoincore it had to download the whole blockchain. Why was it like that?

Many questions, I know, but I am trying to learn. Thanks!

The blockchain is kept on electrum's servers.  All your electrum client does is contact the electrum servers and get your balance.  It's the same as typing your address into blockchain.info, it'll tell you your balance without you having to download the blockchain.  The bitcoin core software doesn't contact anyone, it does everything on your computer, so you need to have the blockchain.

Thanks for the explanation man!
feryjhie

Activity: 882
Merit: 595

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 09:39:20 PM

i use multibit wallet because I do not have to download the blockchain
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 11:12:58 AM

Electrum is simple but uses another server. Multibit is simple and connects directly to BTC network.

Armory is a heavy wallet but offers security. It is the best wallet yet in terms of security! Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

cor

Activity: 121

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 07:24:12 PM

The question is, why would you need an offline wallet ?

Try TREZOR, it gives you the security as an offline wallet but allows to spend coins in an easy and safe manner as well.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2014, 03:05:52 AM

Try TREZOR, it gives you the security as an offline wallet but allows to spend coins in an easy and safe manner as well.

It is expensive. If you are storing many BTC, it is better. Now I think, there is an offer. If you really want, then you can buy BTCCHIP, it is a good one and not expensive. Roll Eyes

~~MZ~~

Tammy Chan

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2014, 05:49:09 PM

I agree that Trezor wallet is very secure and easy to use, but it comes at a price of $119.
If you have 1 btc to keep safe, that $119 price tag would be 36% of your bitcoin investment. If you have 10 btc, it would still be 3.6%.

That's why many people choose to use paper wallet or offline wallet instead.

goldsun (OP)

Activity: 123

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 09:20:23 PM

How do you make a good backup for your wallet? Do you just write down the seed and thats it, or is anyone doing anything with private keys? I am using electrum just in case anyone thinks of a good backup solution for this type of wallet.

I also assume that not many people save all their bitcoins in just one wallet. Am I right?
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2014, 12:45:21 AM

I use bitcoin core, but store my hot wallet funds on blockchain.info with 2FA. Smiley
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 04:54:47 AM

How do you make a good backup for your wallet? Do you just write down the seed and thats it, or is anyone doing anything with private keys? I am using electrum just in case anyone thinks of a good backup solution for this type of wallet.

I also assume that not many people save all their bitcoins in just one wallet. Am I right?

The seed can generate all the private keys, so you just need the seed.  It's nice that way because with bitcoin-qt you have to back up all your private keys (which increase over time)

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
yakuza699

Activity: 935
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:04:20 PM

Go print the private key on the paper wrap it up in the aluminum foil put it in something that is thick and dig it in the forest you'll be pretty safe than.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄
BTC BitDice.me 
Salmon1989

Activity: 603

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 03:12:36 PM

If you haven't imported any private keys to your Electrum wallet, just the 12-word seed is everything you need to backup.

I keep my 90% of my bitcoin in an offline Electrum wallet and the rest in my bitcoin core hot wallet.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: