Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:09:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitFury 110GH/s per rack?  (Read 11013 times)
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 06:40:21 AM

and now BFL is trying to eldentyrell bitfury.

I must have missed this one.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 06:42:35 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2012, 09:07:09 AM by eldentyrell

hence they pre-announce their ASIC

Keep in mind that BFL has already lied once about whether or not their product was a custom ASIC, and they got caught.  Then they simply deleted the ASIC claim from their FAQ.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 06:47:55 AM

Enter the buy-back guarantee. The buy-back guarantee ensures that BFL's sales will be unaffected by the pre-announcement - nobody will cancel existing orders and nobody will shy away from new orders.

You're on the right track there!  But buy-back guarantees aren't the only preannouncement/vaporware-proof sales strategy.  There's another one, and it's called….

Brilliantly played, BFL.

I believe it's about to look slightly less brilliant.

eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 07:04:42 AM

Just downloaded it... But if .bit -> .ncd could be converted - it will be not difficult to decode keys from chip. OR - EXTREMELY complex self-modifying bitstream should be made for protection alone... So costs would be not justified for this SHA256 thing protection alone... I've implemented some time ago meta-translators for x86 code protection, generating morphed code & executable difficult for analysis, and with FPGA it would be even more complex.

Hrm, not too sure about that.  FPGAs are pretty easy to simulate in software… it just takes a really really really long time and runs really really really slowly.  But the attacker only has to do that once.  The root problem is that they don't need to be able to understand your design; they only need to be able to simulate the device it runs on and snoop the bits being written into the ICAP port.

So in -7 series they will make logic that consumes _same_ power not depending on their internal key, so correlation will not be possible ?

I believe so.  I can't speak for Xilinx in particular, but I know a guy who had to design a decryption circuit with this property for some sort of wireless system.  There are lots of ways to do it; some of them aren't too hard.  The lazy way is to run your circuit through a transformation that turns every wire into two wires; on odd numbered clock cycles you drive both wires to zero and on even numbered clock cycles you pull high exactly one of the wires (the "left" one to represent logic-1 and the "right" one to represent logic-0).  So the power consumption is perfectly uniform: for each bit there is one wire worth of capacitance discharged on each odd-numbered cycle and one wire worth of capacitance charged on each even-numbered cycle.  Of course this makes your circuit 2-3 times larger and twice as slow, but for something tiny like an AES core it's no big deal.

And I may reconsider initial licensing offer, as I still have no binding on that of course.

Probably a good idea.  Here's one other reason I forgot: if you let people ship you boards that you didn't design, how do you know they don't have a microcontroller on there somewhere snooping the JTAG bus and capturing your decryption key as you send it to the device in cleartext?  If the snoop wire is on one of the inner planes of a 4-layer board and the microcontroller draws power from VCCAUX you'd never notice it.

So looking again on these numbers and having troubles with protection of bitstream, all of these devices can be "on hold" in some datacenter say in Iceland in name of their owners,

I think there's a real market for that -- combined hardware and hosting sales.  You can also offer to ship them the hardware but tell them you're going to wipe the bitstream and encryption key off of it before you ship it out.

And seems to be more fair play than "perpetual bonds" without significant backing, where bond issuer can go defunct half the road etc.

Definitely.

BFL

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 12:08:12 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2012, 12:30:03 PM by BFL

Keep in mind that BFL has already lied once about whether or not their product was a custom ASIC, and they got caught.  Then they simply deleted the ASIC claim from their FAQ.

I really dislike being drawn into these discussions but in this case it's necessary to correct you.  BF Labs has never gone on record claiming it's previous generation processors are pure ASIC.  Never.  Forum members simply came to their own conclusions based on our FAQ (which did not say it was pure ASIC, just left it ambiguous).  Others read erroneous forum posts as fact and then repeated them as the lore of the day.   Now you're doing the same in hopes of undermining our reputation as you release your product.  There's no mystery here as to what's going on and I'm not so naive to think this post will stop it.  Carry on.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 01:59:51 PM

Keep in mind that BFL has already lied once about whether or not their product was a custom ASIC, and they got caught.  Then they simply deleted the ASIC claim from their FAQ.

I really dislike being drawn into these discussions but in this case it's necessary to correct you.  BF Labs has never gone on record claiming it's previous generation processors are pure ASIC.  Never.  Forum members simply came to their own conclusions based on our FAQ (which did not say it was pure ASIC, just left it ambiguous).  Others read erroneous forum posts as fact and then repeated them as the lore of the day.   Now you're doing the same in hopes of undermining our reputation as you release your product.  There's no mystery here as to what's going on and I'm not so naive to think this post will stop it.  Carry on.

Ima puttin my mod hat on here.

Don't feed the trolls, even if the troll is your competitor and you're both making lots of money. Just don't do it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: