Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:29:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [INFO] List of provably unspendable altcoin addresses (ie, destroy coins)  (Read 4060 times)
earlz (OP)

Activity: 439
Merit: 250

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 03:48:42 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 03:59:16 AM by earlz

So, I've seen a number of really horrible ways people have use to "destroy" coins. First off, YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEND YOUR COINS TO ANYONE TO DESTROY THEM. You can destory coins without having to trust anyone

All you need to do is send the coins you wish to destroy to a special provably unspendable address. Specifically, I generated the addresses such that it would require you to generate a public key which when hashed in various ways hashes to 20 bytes of 0.. This is of course statistically impossible unless sha256 or ripemd160 has fatal flaws in it.

Anyway, I've generated a rather large list of addresses. You must generate the address for each different altcoin depending on the "version" of it's address. I include easy instructions on how to properly match up your coin to the proper burn address.

It was a lot of text, so I put it on my blog http://earlz.net/view/2014/10/22/0340/provably-spendable-altcoin-burn-addresses

Also see the PGP signed version here: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Earlz/de3cc5f6ee85c7a69d53/raw/e9b8f53ddadd1677fc2fd2a0f1df8547e08ae408/gistfile1.txt

For reference to what it looks like on blockchain, you can look at the burned glowcoin transaction: http://cryptobe.com/tx/429d486e39921b0f5dce8b5905afeed4332605aad2d8a5beb244ab2bbb69479a

Also, if you like what I do and all that, donate to me at 1J5t3CW3PZd3YxJZDtuvkijAgHX1MrahiD Wink

Check out my full list of Coin Reviews
Currently working on the Qtum Project
My Skype account earlzdotnet has been compromised. Please report to me any usage seen from it, or from the email earlz@earlz.biz.tm

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hankrules

Activity: 673
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:51:49 AM

If you need to destroy any bitcoins, you can burn them by sending them to this address: 1BtvMARTx98GNrbJTC1v3LpkC361XA1Zih
You don't need to trust me.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
UserAlter

Activity: 365

?

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:54:24 AM

Just burn 31.7062663 BTC  Thank you! Grin
Txid: 7a96d955498b49487f3f46a0287817c9ae9202498db0506a67b7f661474feb1c
danynx

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:59:09 AM

that can be very helpful.. but you are not explaining it easily, get a step by step way on how to get a made up address of lets say "cannabis coin".
earlz (OP)

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 05:53:14 AM

that can be very helpful.. but you are not explaining it easily, get a step by step way on how to get a made up address of lets say "cannabis coin".

It's pretty easy... Do what my instructions said, look in base58.h for PUBKEY_ADDRESS. you can see it is at line 275

You can see it is

Code:
        PUBKEY_ADDRESS = 28, // CannabisCoin addresses start with C

Now, go look up the version number on the post, and you see it is
Code:
 Version: 28, Address: CGTta3M4t3yXu8uRgkKvaWd2d8DQvDPnpL

My Skype account earlzdotnet has been compromised. Please report to me any usage seen from it, or from the email earlz@earlz.biz.tm
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 08:53:27 AM

This pollutes the UTXO with outputs that will always be monitored but never used (although actually possible if the hash is cracked or the universe explodes). For a truly unspendable transaction that can be trimmed by block chain compression and kept out of the UTXO set send a raw transaction with a script of OP_RETURN then the coins are gone for good.

Although that's slightly more complicated (read impossible) for the average user and likely irrelevant on an alt coin that'll die before the block chain reaches a worrisome size, but for an exchange or dev looking to destroy coins doing it right helps show competency and dedication to the coin.

{ BitSpill }
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 09:07:00 AM

interesting topic for sure !

and i am available to destroy coins too just send them to my Cryptsy trade key problem solved Smiley

FUD first & ask questions later™
rich93

Activity: 595
Merit: 101

Chromia - Relational Blockchain

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2014, 02:35:00 PM

This pollutes the UTXO with outputs that will always be monitored but never used (although actually possible if the hash is cracked or the universe explodes). For a truly unspendable transaction that can be trimmed by block chain compression and kept out of the UTXO set send a raw transaction with a script of OP_RETURN then the coins are gone for good.

Although that's slightly more complicated (read impossible) for the average user and likely irrelevant on an alt coin that'll die before the block chain reaches a worrisome size, but for an exchange or dev looking to destroy coins doing it right helps show competency and dedication to the coin.

Can you supply some more details on how to send a raw transaction with a script of OP_RETURN please?

♠️ Facebook: http://facebook.com/ChromiaStudios                 ♥️ Webpage: http://chromiastudios.com
♦️ LinkedIn:  http://linkedin.com/company/chromiastudios      ♣️ Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/ChromiaStudios                     
♥️ Twitter:    https://twitter.com/teamchromia                        ♦️  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChromaWay
************************************************************************************************
richwang

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 05:30:03 AM

"raw_scriptPubKey": "76a914000000000000000000000000000000000000000088ac", why this is a destroyed address?

earlz (OP)

mmmmmm

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 03:13:28 PM

I would hope that if this "spam" ever becomes a problem, it's /very/ easy to trim the UTXO set to not include sends to a publickeyhash of 0

bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 10:56:07 PM

I would hope that if this "spam" ever becomes a problem, it's /very/ easy to trim the UTXO set to not include sends to a publickeyhash of 0
Yea, the odds of it ever becoming a problem are very slim and as you say it can be cleaned up fairly easily should that case happen. It was just something to think about.

{ BitSpill }
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: