Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:52:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Logarithmic (non-linear) regression - Bitcoin estimated value  (Read 117624 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:10:30 AM

Nice graphics and nice work!  Wink

What software did you use?

Excel.

As Rpietila says, you can do amazing things with excel.

Wow, nice work!
Thread watched and notified.
Just gave a small tip.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Trolololo (OP)

Activity: 263
Merit: 280

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:22:32 AM

Added to the OP:
Calculate today's trendline price HERE

Your work is really great. This trendline seems realistic.

Could you provide a date for the one million dollar price ? Or extend your chart a little bit ?

1.000.000 on 06-09-2026

I would like extend the chart to that date, but by excel worksheet doesn't want to. I don' know why.
Trolololo (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:23:56 AM

Nice graphics and nice work!  Wink

Excel.

Wow, nice work!
Thread watched and notified.
Just gave a small tip.

Thank you!
madmat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:34:24 AM

Added to the OP:
Calculate today's trendline price HERE

Your work is really great. This trendline seems realistic.

Could you provide a date for the one million dollar price ? Or extend your chart a little bit ?

1.000.000 on 06-09-2026

I would like extend the chart to that date, but by excel worksheet doesn't want to. I don' know why.

Thanks for the date.

Excel is not perfect. Did you reach the line limit ? (1 048 576 lines)
Trolololo (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 11:54:39 AM

What price do you get in 2075? In my opinion the "equilibrium" price of Bitcoin is one of the easier numbers to make rational arguments about (thermodynamics is always on sounder footing than kinetics, etc.).
For example, if you get $1 trillion per BTC in 2075, I would say the model is problematic, however well fitted. If you get something in the $1-10 million range, then you're probably in the ballpark. (these models assume a certain optimism about adoption already)

With only 1550 days of prices, it's quite weird to estimate the value for day #24.098 (01-01-2075).

But let's suppose that the price stays flat at 370 for 5 more years (from today to 01-01-2020).
That would mean we have around 5500 days of prices.
The logarithmic regression would throw a estimated value of 961 k$ by 01-01-2075.

That's a more realistic value than any linear regression model.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 12:30:53 PM

Nice post & analysis, Trolololo. Following.

I made a similar observation earlier this month in Stephen Reed's thread, about what looked like an increasing time span between reaching the next order of magnitude in network size, but didn't follow up on it (shameless plug to my own post :D).

A question.

I'm not sure about the exact type of growth of your function. What you seem to be mapping is logarithmic growth (slow) on a log chart (fast). Stripped of its minor constants, your formula is of the form 10^ln(t) for time = t. ln(t) grows extremely slow over time, but the result is used as a positive, growing exponent.

It seems to fall somewhere between linear growth and exponential growth, and it isn't bounded either (like in Stephen's model). I was wondering if someone with more knowledge on functional growth could answer this once and for all for me, have been wondering about this for a while now. (EDIT: I'm wondering if it could be an instance of so called sub-exponential growth)

A critical remark.

While I personally, intuitively, find a price function with a declining growth rate (like yours) more plausible than the constant growth rate models that have been presented on this forum (i.e. the "loglinear models" you linked to as well), one problem still remains:

Price tends to "jerk around" all those models.

I remember that, late last year, when price exceeded even the loglinear model's predictions, some analysis was posted that suggested a superexponential price function to model BTC price.

Then came the first leg of the 2013/2014 correction, and suddenly the loglinear models were all the rage again.

Now, the correction continues, and you suggest (with good reasons, I agree) a model based on an below exponential growth assumption. But I'm afraid all it takes is another year of bear market (or perhaps, a sudden rally of huge proportions), and we need to re-adjust our assumption for what the "best" growth type for our model is...

Here's what I'm trying to say: I am using technical (i.e. historic price based) methods myself all the time for predicting price on the short term. However, I start to think that, on a long enough time scale, fundamentals govern the price function. So a model like yours (or Stephen's, or rpietila's), that are essentially an extrapolation from an (admittedly well fitted) function on the historic price data might come to its limits.

I am thinking that perhaps the only semi-reliable way to go about mapping the "long term trend" is Peter R.'s way: finding a proxy for network size, and then modeling expected price/mcap as a function of network size.

See for example here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68655.msg9059346#msg9059346

He still makes a number of assumptions (Metcalfe's law, for example), and in a way, his method only shifts the problem (because now we are trying to predict, i.e. extrapolate, network size), but at least his predicted numbers will rarely be so out of tune with reality as the pure time series models can be at times.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Trolololo (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 01:16:50 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2014, 02:59:06 PM by Trolololo

Nice post & analysis, Trolololo. Following.

I made a similar observation earlier this month in Stephen Reed's thread, about what looked like an increasing time span between reaching the next order of magnitude in network size, but didn't follow up on it (shameless plug to my own post Cheesy).

A question.

I'm not sure about the exact type of growth of your function. What you seem to be mapping is logarithmic growth (slow) on a log chart (fast). Stripped of its minor constants, your formula is of the form 10^ln(t) for time = t. ln(t) grows extremely slow over time, but the result is used as a positive, growing exponent.

It seems to fall somewhere between linear growth and exponential growth, and it isn't bounded either (like in Stephen's model). I was wondering if someone with more knowledge on functional growth could answer this once and for all for me, have been wondering about this for a while now. (EDIT: I'm wondering if it could be an instance of so called sub-exponential growth)

A critical remark.

While I personally, intuitively, find a price function with a declining growth rate (like yours) more plausible than the constant growth rate models that have been presented on this forum (i.e. the "loglinear models" you linked to as well), one problem still remains:

Price tends to "jerk around" all those models.

I remember that, late last year, when price exceeded even the loglinear model's predictions, some analysis was posted that suggested a superexponential price function to model BTC price.

Then came the first leg of the 2013/2014 correction, and suddenly the loglinear models were all the rage again.

Now, the correction continues, and you suggest (with good reasons, I agree) a model based on an below exponential growth assumption. But I'm afraid all it takes is another year of bear market (or perhaps, a sudden rally of huge proportions), and we need to re-adjust our assumption for what the "best" growth type for our model is...

Here's what I'm trying to say: I am using technical (i.e. historic price based) methods myself all the time for predicting price on the short term. However, I start to think that, on a long enough time scale, fundamentals govern the price function. So a model like yours (or Stephen's, or rpietila's), that are essentially an extrapolation from an (admittedly well fitted) function on the historic price data might come to its limits.

I am thinking that perhaps the only semi-reliable way to go about mapping the "long term trend" is Peter R.'s way: finding a proxy for network size, and then modeling expected price/mcap as a function of network size.

See for example here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68655.msg9059346#msg9059346

He still makes a number of assumptions (Metcalfe's law, for example), and in a way, his method only shifts the problem (because now we are trying to predict, i.e. extrapolate, network size), but at least his predicted numbers will rarely be so out of tune with reality as the pure time series models can be at times.

In linear price axis the trend looks exponential:

But is really a subexponential line, a "lowering" exponential trend.

I suspect that in the very long term (reaching year 2075 i.e.) the linear price axis graph would look like an "S" curve (logistic growth). Pending task...

Edit: no "S" look at all. Looks like a "lowering" exponential trend for any timeframe.
To have a "S" look que should use another regression function, like

Relative to volatility, I also suspect that the tops of the bubbles could fit in a similar logarithmic regression. The same for the bottoms of the bubbles. That could give us an estimation of the roofs and floors of next bubbles.
Another pending task...

dnaleor
Legendary

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:41:31 PM

nice charts Smiley

will folow your posts from now on

edit: left you a small tip Smiley
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:46:54 PM

Edit: no "S" look at all. Looks like a "lowering" exponential trend for any timeframe.
To have a "S" look que should use another regression function, like

That's what I said... the 'S' shape (of slipperyslope, e.g.) is bounded growth, i.e. is convergent. Your function doesn't have a finite limit. It just goes to infinity rather slowly Cheesy

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
dnaleor
Legendary

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 04:46:58 PM

that was fun Cheesy
We would be > 600k by now Wink

edit: just posting it for the lulz:
Capt Drake

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 07:28:46 PM

Very nice work man!!

I'll be watching your future updates on this!  Grin
Trolololo (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 11:06:52 PM

nice charts Smiley

will folow your posts from now on

edit: left you a small tip Smiley

Thank you!
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:25:41 AM
Last edit: October 24, 2014, 11:45:15 AM by superresistant

Nice graphics and nice work!  Wink
Excel.

Impressive.
Yes, Excel (or equivalent) can do so much things.

EDIT :
I can only agree with the estimate, 1.000 USD by 24-04-2015
But that's only an estimation.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 07:20:14 AM

10ln(x) = xln(10)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:10:10 AM

Let's now see some new analytics using splines and regressive curvilinear functions. I'm so tired of seeing mspaint lines over boring plots. The speculation threads will love these.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 09:51:45 AM

10ln(x) = xln(10)

Thanks. Feel like an idiot for missing that.

Which would make it about quadratic growth. Interesting.

laurentmt

Activity: 384
Merit: 258

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 09:10:07 PM

In what year does your regression intersect with $1M USD?
I would say for Xmas 2026  Wink
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 09:43:10 PM

10ln(x) = xln(10)

Thanks. Feel like an idiot for missing that.

Which would make it about quadratic growth. Interesting.

Yes I thought so too. If you buy the Metcalf's Law valuation argument (I don't entirely), that corresponds roughly with linear growth of usage. Which interestingly is what Chris Dixon has said they are seeing in his businesses (mostly Coinbase I think).

macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 11:14:28 PM

Following. Great job indeed. Congrats. Smiley

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 04, 2014, 11:20:18 PM

This is in my weekly repertoire of threads I look at to give me that warm blanket feeling  Grin 
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: