Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:45:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AMAZON POSTS $437M LOSS IN Q3  (Read 1050 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 11:51:10 PM

And warns of more to come. Seems like they could start stifling some of their losses if they started to accept a certain form of payment. Then we could 'moon' each other. Wink

LOS ANGELES — Amazon had warned that it would lose bundles of cash in the third quarter, and it didn't disappoint.

But the size of the loss and a forecast that warned of more red ink by year's end chilled investors, who had already sent shares sharply lower for the year.

The Seattle-based online retailer (TICKER: AMZN) said it had a net loss of $437 million for the quarter, or 95 cents a share, compared with $41 million, or 9 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Analysts had forecast a loss of 74 cents a share.

Revenue rose 20% to $20.6 billion, short of the $20.84 billion projected by analysts. Amazon shares tumbled 11%, to $278.89, in after-hours trading. Ahead of the report, shares had lost 23% year to date, singed by prior big losses.

More...http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/10/23/amazon-posts-loss-for-3rd-quarter/17783495/
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
My Name Was Taken

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 01:57:57 AM

Amazon accepting btc wouldn't change a thing for them. They're doing 20 billion in revenue per quarter, bitcoin transactions would be a drop in the ocean to them.

Also, if they did accept bitcoin, this might initially give a big boost to bitcoin because it would validate the currency further, but over the long run I think it would put downward pressure on the price of btc. Amazon won't transact in btc, just like Overstock doesn't. They "accept" it as a payment, but they use a vendor to immediately convert to fiat. So all transactions Overstock does are immediately sold so they have no risk to price volatility which can eat away their profit, so this is constant selling pressure on the price of btc. If Amazon did that, it would be the same thing, but on a larger scale.
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:44:46 AM

If any of these outfits started transferring their savings via payment in bitcoin on to the consumer there would be an added demand factor for using such a system. I still don't get why BitPay hasn't enticed more companies to pass on the savings in a voluntary way tho I suppose at some point it will manifest itself.
My Name Was Taken

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:57:44 AM

If any of these outfits started transferring their savings via payment in bitcoin on to the consumer there would be an added demand factor for using such a system. I still don't get why BitPay hasn't enticed more companies to pass on the savings in a voluntary way tho I suppose at some point it will manifest itself.

I thought Overstock gave a bitcoin discount because they didn't have to pay credit card fees on those transactions.
POM

Activity: 547
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:24:41 AM

Huge losses probably from all those carders that do "refunds"   Sad
My Name Was Taken

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:52:05 PM

Huge losses probably from all those carders that do "refunds"   Sad

What's all this then?
bf4btc

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

Smoke weed everyday!

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 11:55:54 PM

I think that CC do increase their costs (actually decrease the revenue, but this is an accounting technicality) however the CC costs do not affect their bottom line enough so they would have been profitable had they accepted bitcoin (even if all transactions were done in bitcoin).

Their primary cost is that of shipping as they offer "free" shipping that is getting increasingly expensive for them to offer to customers. There was actually an article in the WSJ recently about how many companies are increasing the minimum purchase required to be eligible for free shipping

████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████▄▄▄█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀██████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀████████

My Name Was Taken

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 01:19:46 PM

I think that CC do increase their costs (actually decrease the revenue, but this is an accounting technicality) however the CC costs do not affect their bottom line enough so they would have been profitable had they accepted bitcoin (even if all transactions were done in bitcoin).

Their primary cost is that of shipping as they offer "free" shipping that is getting increasingly expensive for them to offer to customers. There was actually an article in the WSJ recently about how many companies are increasing the minimum purchase required to be eligible for free shipping

CC fees don't decrease revenue. Revenue is the topline number. CC fees decrease profitability, but not revenue.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 02:53:20 AM

Funny, that's exactly how much I owe them for all my mining EC2 instances. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: