Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:13:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Max power draw for the fan header on the BFL single?  (Read 2059 times)
xDGDZEx (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:53:51 AM

I'm thinking about replacing the fans on my singles with something that has a bit more oomph. Are there any published specs on this to anyone's knowledge?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inspector 2211

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 04:59:48 AM

I'm thinking about replacing the fans on my singles with something that has a bit more oomph. Are there any published specs on this to anyone's knowledge?

+1

▄█▄
            ▄█ ▀█▀
     ▄ ▄███▄▄████▄▀ ▄▄▀▄
    ▀█▄████
██████▀▄█████▀▄▀
   ▄█▀▄
███████████████████▄
 ▄██▀█▀
▀▀▀███▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▀█▀▄
 ▄█▀▀   ▀█
███▀▄████████ █▀█▄▄
██▀  ▀ ▀ ▀
██████████▄   ▄▀▀█▄
     ▀ ▀
  ███▀▀▀▀▀████▌ ▄  ▀
          ████████████▌   █
        █████████████▀
        ▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀
           ▀▀  ▀▀
BTC-GREEN       ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄██████████████▄
  ▄██████
██████████████▄
 ▄███
███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
 ▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Ecological Community in the Green Planet
❱❱❱❱❱❱     WHITEPAGE   |   ANN THREAD     ❰❰❰❰❰❰
           ▄███▄▄
       ▄▄█████████▄
      ▄████████████▌
   ▄█████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████
███████████████▄
▄████████████████████▀
███████████████████████▀
 ▀▀██████▀██▌██████▀
   ▀██▀▀▀  ██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
           ██
           ██▌
          ▐███▄
xDGDZEx (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 05:04:52 AM

Yeah, I want to make sure I'm not going to fry anything when in hook up 140cfm deltas  Grin

Hopefully the overclocking functionality on easyminer will be good.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
May 01, 2012, 01:12:10 PM

You could skip the fan header and directly connect to a PSU.  But then its will sound like rjks': http://vimeo.com/41028028    Grin

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
xDGDZEx (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 02:38:23 AM

Still interested in this. BFL?
Blaztoize
Donator

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

My posts are seldom static, but always readable :)

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 02:50:05 AM

Then its will sound like rjks': http://vimeo.com/41028028    Grin

Holy shit. Imagine a room of 10 of those.

Pokédex: The jets of water it spouts from the rocket cannons on its shell can punch through thick steel.
BTC: 1Pt2zKYL1CzgqoWy2gETLrqZhWTQSziVno
As of July 2015, I'm back! Currently working on building trust.
aseldon

Activity: 64

View Profile
May 14, 2012, 02:54:08 AM

I'd also like to know. Has anyone put a higher CFM fan on that isn't connected to an additional PSU yet?
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2012, 04:39:29 AM

Definitely don't hook up a delta to the BFL internal jack. External PSU you'd be rockin and rollin

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 11:15:50 PM

Nobody knows the specs for the bfl fan?

The fan that came with one of my singles is making a annoying buzzing noise so I was thinking of replacing it with something more powerful and perhaps quiet.

wogaut
Donator

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 11:27:11 PM

In this thread there's a nice discussion about fans with the BFL:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60586.msg868363#msg868363

I just replaced mine with the Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro.
Sooo much more quiet (and a more healthy acoustic frequency spectrum) and about the same temperature as the stock BFL fan.

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 09:39:28 AM

Sooo much more quiet (and a more healthy acoustic frequency spectrum) and about the same temperature as the stock BFL fan.

Thanks for the info Smiley Their CFM rating is lower than the stock Single one. I am thinking if one is going to put these somewhere far away a higher CFM fan would be better. I found 68 CFM fans with a noise signature of 43 dBA which is a tad bit higher than the stock Rev 3 fan (32).

The question is can the fan header on the Single handle the extra current draw. Is the cooling performance noticeably improved going from 45 CFM to 68 CFM.

BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 09:47:57 AM

Thanks for the info Smiley Their CFM rating is lower than the stock Single one. I am thinking if one is going to put these somewhere far away a higher CFM fan would be better. I found 68 CFM fans with a noise signature of 43 dBA which is a tad bit higher than the stock Rev 3 fan (32).

The question is can the fan header on the Single handle the extra current draw. Is the cooling performance noticeably improved going from 45 CFM to 68 CFM.

High-Current fans are not recommended. The reason is their inductive load and the noise injected to the power plane of the
board. The protection diode placed before the FAN header can withstand max 5A of current. So this sets the upper limit to 5A,
which translates into 60W on 12 Volts rails. This amount of power, along with the power consumption of the board itself can
exceed the Barrel Jack current rating, which is why we advise not to take any risks in this regard.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 12:55:13 PM

High-Current fans are not recommended. The reason is their inductive load and the noise injected to the power plane of the
board. The protection diode placed before the FAN header can withstand max 5A of current. So this sets the upper limit to 5A,
which translates into 60W on 12 Volts rails. This amount of power, along with the power consumption of the board itself can
exceed the Barrel Jack current rating, which is why we advise not to take any risks in this regard.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
Are there 2 different diodes, one for each header? Or just one that covers both of them?
Also, if the barrel jack was replaced with something else, would the board itself support that current draw without issues? I'm guessing the warranty would be void in this case. Wink

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 01:16:07 PM

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.
Are there 2 different diodes, one for each header? Or just one that covers both of them?
Also, if the barrel jack was replaced with something else, would the board itself support that current draw without issues? I'm guessing the warranty would be void in this case. Wink

There is enough copper on the board to support maybe 20A on 12V rails. However, doing so will void the warranty,
and should be done at users own risk. Each fan header has a protection diode and a small stabilizing/filter capacitor.

EDIT:
I would also think that if someone is willing to take an extreme measure for cooling (speaking about minimum several units),
then it would be best to buy a split Air-Conditioner to get the job done. It will consume about 480W (samsung series),
and if the target is 20 singles for instance, then it would be equivalent to an additional 24W per single.

Regards,
BF Labs Inc.

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: