Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:48:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The fall of Bitcoin nodes. Why nobody talks about it ?  (Read 6826 times)
RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:03:43 PM

You see, each day a new thread,and  each thread make me think if I should go invest and buy at least 1 BTC or not . It will rise eventually or what guys .. if yes how much Cry I only have 20$ worth of BTC at the moment

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allgoodthings1

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:06:04 PM

I could miss $2 a month to support the network. But to me it looks like centralization of bitcoin nodes. Do those nodes share the same ip address? Of so, what's the benefit of running them?
Wouldn't it be better for the network if the nodes are geographically spread around the world, all using different hardware and ip addresses? Or are vps' considered "better than nothing"?
In other words, what's better? A low end home server running a node or a shared centralized node on high end hardware?
Here's the IP address on one of my VPS nodes: http://192.227.139.229/ It doesn't look shared to me. But I'm not the expert on these things. I'll let others who know more, write more. I'd say, there are things that probably make it not as good as Bitcoin Core of bitcoind running on a fast PC connection; but for $2/mo?! That's significantly less that your hardware maintenance, Internet, and electricity cost on a home or office PC.  And yes, WeLoveServers offers (I think, now) four different U.S. city locations for this special pricing.

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
naplam

Activity: 252

Coin Developer - CrunchPool.com operator

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 04:52:05 PM

$2?? their cheapest VPS at weloveservers is $4 and it has just a 15gb hdd, not enough for the blockchain to fit. It doesn't say SSD anywhere either. If they had ssds you can be pretty sure it would be written all over.

Dude it looks like you're being paid to advertise. wtf is this

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:38:19 PM

I don't see how there being fewer full nodes has any negative impact on decentralization.
Of course more nodes is more decentralized. More the better. Think about it, what is more likely to break? A network with just 2 nodes, or a network with 2000 nodes?

BitcoinExchangeIndia.com

Activity: 311
Merit: 264

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:01:49 PM

When someone runs bitcoin-qt in his personal machine connected to the internet with default configuration, is not he running a full node ?
Not unless he also opens Port 8333 on his firewall.

Actually you are... you have the same amount of data as a business does, its that only ~ 8 people can access it .

Now to get more people to run full nodes, do like darkcoin does.. their supernoods get a % of each block that is found.. The more connections you have to your node the more of the btc fees you get.

Icon

You can only have 8 outgoing connections which means you are connecting to others and not others connecting to you which is pretty much useless. By portforwarding 8333, you allow others to connect to you and therefore you are running a full node. That would pretty much render all ASIC miners and mining operation useless if you allow nodes to get transaction fees instead of miners.

Is there any security risk associated if I open Port 8333 on my firewall ?

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:16:22 PM

What is the cost of running a full node? on VPS?

Linode

https://www.linode.com/pricing

Digitalocean

https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/

That's the 2 most popular VPS provider. Few minutes to launch, very flexible.

Both of those are insufficient to run a full node. The 30GB one will be forced to shutdown in a month or two, since the current blockchain is nearly 30GB already.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
allgoodthings1

Activity: 270

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:34:59 PM

$2?? their cheapest VPS at weloveservers is $4 and it has just a 15gb hdd, not enough for the blockchain to fit. It doesn't say SSD anywhere either. If they had ssds you can be pretty sure it would be written all over.

Dude it looks like you're being paid to advertise. wtf is this
Not paid to advertise; but, yes, inaccurate on the ssd. That's not advertised on their site. It's just 60GB Disk Space Storage.

Here's what I posted about this on September 8: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=774791.0  I've not heard from anyone that this method of acquiring a $2/mo server is no longer doable.  I do know I have 60GB on my three nodes and my monthly bill is just $6.

IRS 501(c)(3) Public Charities That Accept Bitcoin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758674.0
Avoid U.S. Taxes on Bitcoin. Give to Charity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=627860.0
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:36:02 PM

When someone runs bitcoin-qt in his personal machine connected to the internet with default configuration, is not he running a full node ?
Not unless he also opens Port 8333 on his firewall.

Actually you are... you have the same amount of data as a business does, its that only ~ 8 people can access it .

Now to get more people to run full nodes, do like darkcoin does.. their supernoods get a % of each block that is found.. The more connections you have to your node the more of the btc fees you get.

Icon

You can only have 8 outgoing connections which means you are connecting to others and not others connecting to you which is pretty much useless. By portforwarding 8333, you allow others to connect to you and therefore you are running a full node. That would pretty much render all ASIC miners and mining operation useless if you allow nodes to get transaction fees instead of miners.

Is there any security risk associated if I open Port 8333 on my firewall ?
Strictly spoken yes, any port open increases risks.
But if you keep your software updated the risk are minimal.
If the only port open is 8333, and it is pointed to bitcoind which is always the latest version, then the risk is close to zero.
btcrich

Activity: 302

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:07:46 PM

I don't see how there being fewer full nodes has any negative impact on decentralization.
Of course more nodes is more decentralized. More the better. Think about it, what is more likely to break? A network with just 2 nodes, or a network with 2000 nodes?

Decentralization of the Bitcoin network mainly refers to the distribution of hashing power, not the number of nodes.  The Bitcoin network becomes no more or less secure with the increase or decrease in number of nodes.  

As long as two honest nodes exist, the network will function.  However, this would also most likely indicate that there are only two miners securing the network and that could be a concern.
findftp
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:27:09 PM

As long as two honest nodes exist, the network will function.  However, this would also most likely indicate that there are only two miners securing the network and that could be a concern.
You will not stay BTC rich with only 2 nodes.

Quoted from BTCfeed:
"The main idea behind bitcoin and the reason that it took off is because of bitcoin’s decentralized nature and its peer-to-peer (P2P) network. In order to keep bitcoin running and validate transactions there need to be bitcoin nodes available on the network.

Bitcoin nodes are different from bitcoin miners or bitcoin clients. Bitcoin nodes provide security, one of which is security from double spending – when a user attempts to spend the same coin twice. The bitcoin network chooses random nodes and then has them verify the transaction and make sure the coins were not double spent.

Bitcoin not only needs nodes, it requires many functioning ones – nodes that have the bitcoin core client. Anybody can run a bitcoin node as long as you have access to a high quality server. You will need atleast 2GB of RAM and atleast 20GB of storage in order to be able to run the bitcoin client"
btcrich

Activity: 302

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:44:18 PM

I didn't say that having only two nodes would be a good thing.  Of course it's nice to have a lot of nodes.  While the number of nodes might have reduced, it's nowhere near a level to be concerned about.

The network does not "require many functioning nodes".  It requires two.

Even with only two honest nodes, it is possible to combat double spends 100%.

The only attack vector that could be of minor concern is if one node is connected to many or only dishonest/bad nodes.  As you say though, the connections are random by default so an attacker cannot target a specific node and would have to be really lucky to effectively impact an honest node. This still would not affect the network as a whole however.

findftp
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:49:47 PM

I didn't say that having only two nodes would be a good thing.  Of course it's nice to have a lot of nodes.  While the number of nodes might have reduced, it's nowhere near a level to be concerned about.

The network does not "require many functioning nodes".  It requires two.

I would say Bitcoin is rotten to the core when there are only 2 honest nodes against 1 million dishonest.
Without understanding the technicals behind it many people would be scared to death.

Even with only two honest nodes, it is possible to combat double spends 100%.

Isn't this the same as saying: "if everybody on earth would be fair and honest we would not need jails?"
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 08:06:42 PM

I could miss $2 a month to support the network. But to me it looks like centralization of bitcoin nodes. Do those nodes share the same ip address? Of so, what's the benefit of running them?
Wouldn't it be better for the network if the nodes are geographically spread around the world, all using different hardware and ip addresses? Or are vps' considered "better than nothing"?
In other words, what's better? A low end home server running a node or a shared centralized node on high end hardware?
Here's the IP address on one of my VPS nodes: http://192.227.139.229/ It doesn't look shared to me. But I'm not the expert on these things. [...]

192.227.139.229 is at ColoCrossing https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/?q=colocrossing. 45 nodes at that DC. If they have a power outage or worse, that's 45 nodes gone. Just an example of course and who knows how accurate bitnodes is, but different geographic locations help for sure.

If you can miss 2$ a month and plan to run a node for two years, you are getting in to Raspberry Pi territory (with an external HDD), if you're internet plan allows for it. (An indication of data volume: http://192.227.139.229/vnstat/index.php?if=venet0&graph=large&style=light&page=m Wink )

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4441

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 02:32:00 AM

anyone doing the "purchase VPN" scheme.. please realise its better to have 7000 nodes in 7000 locations rather than 20,000 in 5 VPN locations... think about it.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 03:08:20 AM

P2Pool should become more user friendly, once it is done, every miner should move to P2Pool, ultimate decentralization is done Grin

Eisenhower34
Legendary

Activity: 906
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 03:21:28 AM

anyone doing the "purchase VPN" scheme.. please realise its better to have 7000 nodes in 7000 locations rather than 20,000 in 5 VPN locations... think about it.

It would actually be the "purchase VPS" scheme, not purchase VPN as a VPN is only a way to connect to the internet and is not capable of running a full node.

Your point is true, however there are a large number of both data centers and VPS providers so as long as you do not buy up a bunch of VPSs at one location from one provider this would not be that big of an issue
bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 03:24:46 AM

Quoted from BTCfeed:
"The main idea behind bitcoin and the reason that it took off is because of bitcoin’s decentralized nature and its peer-to-peer (P2P) network. In order to keep bitcoin running and validate transactions there need to be bitcoin nodes available on the network.

Bitcoin nodes are different from bitcoin miners or bitcoin clients. Bitcoin nodes provide security, one of which is security from double spending – when a user attempts to spend the same coin twice. The bitcoin network chooses random nodes and then has them verify the transaction and make sure the coins were not double spent.

Bitcoin not only needs nodes, it requires many functioning ones – nodes that have the bitcoin core client. Anybody can run a bitcoin node as long as you have access to a high quality server. You will need atleast 2GB of RAM and atleast 20GB of storage in order to be able to run the bitcoin client"

There is one more reason - the possibility of the DoS: the fewer full nodes you have the higher chances the network would be killed if someone attempts to DoS it.
btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 03:53:57 AM

Quoted from BTCfeed:

There is one more reason - the possibility of the DoS: the fewer full nodes you have the higher chances the network would be killed if someone attempts to DoS it.
I think the number of nodes would need to decrease substantially before this would become any kind of serious risk. When a "normal" site is DDoSed, their network infrastructure will be stressed, however when someone attempts to DDoS a decentralized network, the attacker will need to use much more resources to put a similar level of stress on the network
bee7

Activity: 574
Merit: 523

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 04:55:53 AM

Quoted from BTCfeed:

I think the number of nodes would need to decrease substantially before this would become any kind of serious risk. When a "normal" site is DDoSed, their network infrastructure will be stressed, however when someone attempts to DDoS a decentralized network, the attacker will need to use much more resources to put a similar level of stress on the network

Yes, I agree that Bitcoin network is far from this situation. It was an argument for two nodes network.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 05:33:44 AM

iam running a full node. its a nice way to support the network. i guess when the price rises again we will see more full nodes. and also we sill see some improvements with the sync of the bitcoin core client (3days to 3 hours).

25 GB is not a problem in my view.

2 Terabyte - 90 USD:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Station-External-Desktop-Drive/dp/B00C9TEL46/ref=sr_1_1/275-3057177-7963732?ie=UTF8&qid=1414215364&sr=8-1&keywords=2+terabyte

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: