Bitcoin Forum
June 06, 2024, 01:38:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought a new expensive car - wife wants to drive it  (Read 3400 times)
seriouscoin (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:34:50 AM

What car did you get?
Porche Panamera Turbo S

Another question? If you don't trust your wife even if it is so petty thing like driving your car - why are you with her?

Its not about trusting here. She dinged my bumper by going too deep into the parking spot in an underground parking lot. She's also had it dinged in a parking lot while the car was parked. She's not a bad driver, but not a good one either.

Did you tell her before you bought it she wasn't going to be driving it because of her crappy driving?
Has she got her own car?

If you answered yes to both the above, don't sweat it and keep her away from your car. You can always placate her with expensive jewelry.

She has her own bmw

At the end of the marriage, she will likely own 80% of your properties life savings. Get used to it now and let her drive the car.
Would you rather her fuck up your car or your relationship?  Undecided
The way I figure it, my wife owns 50% of my "fun" car. If she want's to drive it, I trust her enough to, and will ungrudgingly deal with whatever improbable outcome that results. Same way I would understand her allowing me to drive her "fun" car if I desired.

Well, when we got engaged she made substantially more than me. When we had our money talk, I figured we would have a joint account and everything goes in there. She felt that wasn't fair. So we ended up going the route where we both put an equal amount into the joint account each month. All shared expenses come out of the joint account. We would also have our own personal accounts. With this arrangement, she had a hell of a lot more spending money than me.

Over the years, I've closed the gap in terms of our salaries. However, I've made quite a bit in my investments over the past several years. Now that I've got a decent amount of personal money, I decided to use it to buy myself a nice car. So really, it is my car, paid for with my money.
ABitNut

Activity: 764

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:40:04 AM

A car is made to drive. If the choice is either it sits in the parking lot or my wife drives it somewhere... My wife gets to drive it.

Of course, if I want to go somewhere myself my wife can take her own bloody car.
seriouscoin (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:47:11 AM

A car is made to drive. If the choice is either it sits in the parking lot or my wife drives it somewhere... My wife gets to drive it.

Of course, if I want to go somewhere myself my wife can take her own bloody car.

Nobody says the car isnt being driven ...

Everyone value things differently.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 03:12:38 AM

Thanks OP for giving me another reason to not get married Tongue If you're wife was reasonable and intelligent she'd know exactly why you'd think twice about letting her borrow a new car let alone one that's expensive, if she hasn't she sounds pretty arrogant. I'd basically say "Sure you can drive it, but you're the one paying for the damn insurance if you crash it again" but that just depends on how much you want to stay with her lol.
ABitNut

Activity: 764

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:21:28 AM

Nobody says the car isnt being driven ...

Everyone value things differently.

Yeah, it is your car and your call. I just gave my opinion and I guess you're right that I don't value my car that much.

Obviously I am not you and my wife doesn't have a licence to drive so I can't really relate Wink. If I were your I probably wouldn't let her drive it either. Heck, she has a BMW? What is she complaining about!?
nsimmons

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:23:54 AM

Its a fucking car.

I have an unmolested 69 mustang. I can't exactly go buy a new one, even similar ones are hard to locate. With drum brakes on each corner, bathtub like handling and 400 hp, my gf still mostly drives it and there have been a few close calls.

And yes the more we drive it the more scratches it gets..big deal, that's what paint is for.

rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:09:41 AM

Its a fucking car.

I have an unmolested 69 mustang. I can't exactly go buy a new one, even similar ones are hard to locate. With drum brakes on each corner, bathtub like handling and 400 hp, my gf still mostly drives it and there have been a few close calls.

And yes the more we drive it the more scratches it gets..big deal, that's what paint is for.

I call bs on this.

I bet you are nervous as a kitten when she drives and you hate every minute ... lol.  You hate every scratch and dent she's put on your baby but you are too " ...... whipped" to say anything. LOL

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
nsimmons

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:22:15 AM

Its a fucking car.

I call bs on this.

I bet you are nervous as a kitten when she drives and you hate every minute ... lol.  You hate every scratch and dent she's put on your baby but you are too " ...... whipped" to say anything. LOL

where did i say i wasn't nervous, yes im whipped thats why i bought it for her birthday present??  Roll Eyes

The day I bought it, notice the 2011 on the permit.

Any more questions idiot?

Get back to your hot wheels

rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:35:26 AM
Last edit: October 24, 2014, 05:59:12 PM by rokkyroad

OK .... now its her car.

That explains everything. Of course, you wouldn't care about the scratches.

Btw .... its a nice car. I can hardly wait till I get my license.

"idiot" now. Looks like I touched a nerve.  Yep .... definitely .... whipped.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
gordoh

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:00:26 AM

futurebit640

Activity: 910

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 08:05:19 AM

let him drive ,Remember... Happy wife, happy life
otrkid70

Activity: 920
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 09:31:15 AM

Give her the keys.

Here's how you approach this with a "Win Win"

Explain to her how you feel about the car and why you are "Worried"  Simply tell her that you while you are worried she may "Ding" the paint you value your marriage to her and love her above the car and it's value.

This will make her put your cars safety a priority and take better care driving it and give you a +1 in the marriage.

If you simply say "No Honey" it's mine....well then you are starting the process of a loooong hard marriage with resentment.

The quote "I've worked hard, saved a lot, and invested well to be able to comfortably afford a nice car. I take really good care of the car and consider it as a reward to myself."     sounds selfish. You married her and marriage is all about sharing your life and all it's experiences both good and bad with her....Isn't it?

P.S. if she dings your car after this Quickly DIVORCE her ass......LOL just kidding.
boy2k

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:27:37 AM

Happy wife, happy life

Standard! Wink
LightningBlade

Activity: 259

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:50:07 AM

Wife is more important then car..

sifter

Activity: 574

CoinBooster Rep

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:47:22 PM

What car did you get?
Porche Panamera Turbo S

Did you tell her before you bought it she wasn't going to be driving it because of her crappy driving?
Has she got her own car?

If you answered yes to both the above, don't sweat it and keep her away from your car. You can always placate her with expensive jewelry.

She has her own bmw

Err dad?

Is this you? My family also has a bmw and a panamera

CoinBooster.io - Earn up to 67mil satoshi per day. Claim every 5 minutes. NO POP UPS! HIGH ROI
Bitcointalk Official Thread
ahri

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:37:43 PM

What car did you get?
Porche Panamera Turbo S

Has she got her own car?

She has her own bmw

Err dad?

Many other familys are rich too lol.

Just saying ahaha.

you guys must super rich..
seriouscoin (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:27:23 PM

The quote "I've worked hard, saved a lot, and invested well to be able to comfortably afford a nice car. I take really good care of the car and consider it as a reward to myself."     sounds selfish. You married her and marriage is all about sharing your life and all it's experiences both good and bad with her....Isn't it?

You forgot this part :

Well, when we got engaged she made substantially more than me. When we had our money talk, I figured we would have a joint account and everything goes in there. She felt that wasn't fair. So we ended up going the route where we both put an equal amount into the joint account each month. All shared expenses come out of the joint account. We would also have our own personal accounts. With this arrangement, she had a hell of a lot more spending money than me.

Over the years, I've closed the gap in terms of our salaries. However, I've made quite a bit in my investments over the past several years. Now that I've got a decent amount of personal money, I decided to use it to buy myself a nice car. So really, it is my car, paid for with my money.

Its how we agreed on money. What if i ask her to use her LV bags to carry my electronic junk?
seriouscoin (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:33:02 PM

If you simply say "No Honey" it's mine....well then you are starting the process of a loooong hard marriage with resentment.

What is a marriage? it's a partnership with a piece of paper to prove it. Just because we have personal money, it doesn't mean we don't share it. It is essentially money we can use at our sole discretion. That way I don't complain about her buying expensive shoes and purses. And she doesn't complain about me buying sports equipment. We treat each other great. We spend lots of time together. We respect each other.

Yes technically half my personal money is hers and half her personal money is mine. But since we don't plan on ever divorcing and we have an established framework for how we handle our finances - personal money is personal money.

Just to reiterate, I'm calling it personal money only to identify it as money we can each spend without having to consult the other. But that doesn't mean we don't spend it on each other or for shared costs.

On top of increased biweekly mortgage payments that come out of the joint account. We both pre pay lump sums on the mortgage from our personal money. It's never equal, but we both put in whatever we feel can. We max out our prepayment amount every year.

Not sure why people need to judge my marriage.
akali

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:35:51 PM

Id say just let her drive it, but like the catch is for 5 mins lol.
sifter

Activity: 574

CoinBooster Rep

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:43:32 PM

What car did you get?
Porche Panamera Turbo S

Has she got her own car?

She has her own bmw

Err dad?

Many other familys are rich too lol.

Just saying ahaha.

you guys must super rich..

Thanks for editing my post, but know I wouldn't claim to be rich, just knowledgeable with money.

CoinBooster.io - Earn up to 67mil satoshi per day. Claim every 5 minutes. NO POP UPS! HIGH ROI
Bitcointalk Official Thread
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: