Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:32:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Suggestions on Paypal Freezing Bitcoin Payments  (Read 5223 times)
djex (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 01:36:40 AM

I just sold some BTC on bitcoinmarket.com and have confirmed with the buyer that he did receive all of the bitcoins. The buyer sent the proper amount to my paypal account but 10 minutes later paypal froze that payment and asked for more information on the payment.

So there was nothing else I could do except reply back to paypal explaining why I received these and what they were for. I also attached the buyers email he sent me confirming his purchase and receiving the proper amount of bitcoins.

So my question is what happens next? What are some experiences people here have had with paypal and doing this sort of thing? I have a bad feeling that my account may be frozen after they review my explanation (due to the fact paypal doesn't care for bitcoin to much). If it is frozen and all funds in the account are frozen will I ever be able to withdraw them again?

I've never had a problem with paypal before so I do not understand why they would randomly freeze a payment and want me to give more information.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Smiley  : 1LbvSEJwtQZKLSQQVYxQJes8YneQk2yhE3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greenlander

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 01:41:42 AM

Paypal is Latin for "dirty rotten thieves"
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 01:49:54 AM

I've never had a problem with paypal before so I do not understand why they would randomly freeze a payment and want me to give more information.

Because the user said you ripped them off and never delivered.

Unfortunately, since (1) BitCoins aren't something phyiscal, and (2) the PayPal TOS has a clause about virtual currencies, there's not much you can do.

It's getting to the point on #bitcoin-otc where people will only do paypal with trusted users.  But all the trusted users are using Dwolla, MoneyPak, or something like that.
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 01:51:14 AM

You just got ripped off.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
SteveB

Activity: 170

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 02:16:34 AM

...  But all the trusted users are using Dwolla, MoneyPak, or something like that.

Unfortunately Dwolla and MoneyPak is U.S. only and does not work for canadians like me. Sad
singpolyma

Activity: 546
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 02:19:29 AM

I *strongly* suggest you only trade with people you trust, or at least with people who have a positive bitcoin-otc rating.
djex (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 02:55:59 AM

I *strongly* suggest you only trade with people you trust, or at least with people who have a positive bitcoin-otc rating.

Yeah I understand but when your trying to get the most for your bitcoin it's hard to find the right trusted people to sell to. I just bought a computer for mining and I'm currently trying to pay it off. If I wasn't trying to pay it off for sure I would only do trusted trades. It's just unfortunate that there isn't a better secured system to complete paypal transactions when selling bitcoin. Also I'm from Canada and bitcoins at the moment seem to be mainly US and Europe based. If I could get a US bank account some how then that would be perfect but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that.

error

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 03:34:31 AM

Grab your passport and a bottle of lube, drive down south, pop in to a bank and bend over. They'll set you up.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
djex (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:07:04 AM

Grab your passport and a bottle of lube, drive down south, pop in to a bank and bend over. They'll set you up.

LOL.... sigh...

Going to keep it as a last resort.

Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 06:52:32 AM

There is ONE way to safely buy Bitcoin via PayPal:

Tell the buyer to....

(1)   In his PayPal account, click Withdrawal Money .... amd "Request a check in the mail".

(2)   Wait for PayPal to mail you a check in the mail.

(3)   Wait for the check to clear.

(4)   Do a bank wire transfer to MtGox.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 07:38:00 AM

There is ONE way to safely buy Bitcoin via PayPal:

Tell the buyer to....

(1)   In his PayPal account, click Withdrawal Money .... amd "Request a check in the mail".

(2)   Wait for PayPal to mail you a check in the mail.

(3)   Wait for the check to clear.

(4)   Do a bank wire transfer to MtGox.

What? It's safe to buy Bitcoin w/ PP. It's just not safe to sell bitcoin.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
kseistrup

Activity: 566

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 07:42:27 AM

Perhaps a dumb question, but: how do people get their first rating if nobody wants to trade with them?

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 01:41:07 PM

Perhaps a dumb question, but: how do people get their first rating if nobody wants to trade with them?

Cheers,

You do a number of small trades with people who are willing to risk 1 BTC or 5-10 USD on a a newbie.  Setting up a Dwolla account FIRST and offering to use Dwolla for your first trades will also get you some trades and ratings much faster than offering up Paypal.

kseistrup

Activity: 566

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 01:58:11 PM

You do a number of small trades with people who are willing to risk 1 BTC or 5-10 USD on a a newbie.

Right, thanks.

Setting up a Dwolla account FIRST and offering to use Dwolla for your first trades will also get you some trades and ratings much faster than offering up Paypal.

I'm not in the US, so Dwolla is of no use to me.  I can do SEPA bank transfers, though (although this is not ‘instant’).

Cheers,

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
bing

Activity: 18

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 02:01:20 PM

You just got ripped off.

I know I'm taking a risk by stepping forward here, I'm the buyer in this case.

Actually, he didn't get ripped of.

I don't want a bad rating because Paypal is reviewing the transaction.
Information from Paypal regarding the transaction: "This payment has been selected for review and we have opened an investigation."

Reason: Inquiry by PayPal, Temporary Hold

I also mailed djex back keeping me posted about the review, and if any problems occurs, we have to discuss a solution.

djex, if you need me to contact Paypal in any way, mail me back.
djex (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 07:47:01 PM

You just got ripped off.

I know I'm taking a risk by stepping forward here, I'm the buyer in this case.

Actually, he didn't get ripped of.

I don't want a bad rating because Paypal is reviewing the transaction.
Information from Paypal regarding the transaction: "This payment has been selected for review and we have opened an investigation."

Reason: Inquiry by PayPal, Temporary Hold

I also mailed djex back keeping me posted about the review, and if any problems occurs, we have to discuss a solution.

djex, if you need me to contact Paypal in any way, mail me back.

Yeah I didn't think you had the mind set of ripping me off so no worries there. I posted here to see if anyone else had similar problems with PayPal recently since I'm not sure why they would randomly start an investigation.

As I said in my recent email I responded to PayPal's request and I'm just waiting for a reply from them. The reason I think the payment might be sent back is due to the fact it was for the purchase of bitcoin. We shall see what they decided. I'll let you know what they say.

runcible2011

Activity: 20

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 07:57:00 PM

As bitcoin is a direct threat to paypal, paypal will do all it can to screw up btc buy/sell transactions on its network.

I hope btc destroys paypal someday.
kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 08:07:41 PM

Cheers,

If you buy a shirt from iusecoins, they'll rate you on otc.  A few other services will too.
RonnieP

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 08:49:51 PM

Did you put "bitcoin" as what the transaction was for? I put "other" as most of my transactions (no matter what they are) and have never had them ask any questions about it.
kidgorgeous

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 09:01:43 PM

I would recommend that you have the person send the money as a 'gift', gifts cannot be charged back or are very hard to charge back in paypal.

1KHxCRniFNmS7ChiPqaewmokuCABk2PRQn
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: