Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:35:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost of production linked to the price?  (Read 1926 times)
hamiltino (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:54:40 PM

So some people claim that coins are worthless if the cost of production is near zero. Other people claim that it doesn't matter what the cost to producing a coin is as there are other factors that determine the price.

What are your opinions?

stacking coin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 06:57:46 PM

People are willing to pay money, therefore they are worth money.

hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:05:52 PM

People are willing to pay money, therefore they are worth money.

Yeah i guess its just people trying to pump and convince people that bitcoin is superior to the rest. (specifically POS, dpos currencies)

Demand determines production cost when we are talking bitcoin.

stacking coin
malaimult

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:10:03 PM

cost of production is irrelevant imo, it is the value that the people put into bitcoin or crypto that matters. value is determined by the people who use and accept it, not by how much it cost to generate the currency into existence

btcrich

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:16:30 PM

Of course there is a cost to producing (mining) Bitcoin.  I read an article a month or two back when the price was hovering around $480 that calculated the actual cost of producing one Bitcoin at $480.  The calculation took into consideration the cost of energy and the depreciation of hardware.

It seems that either there are some miners out there that have since lowered their costs significantly, or people are selling at a loss.

In reality there definitely are other factors though and not only miners control the price.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:17:45 PM

if it costs you $350 in electric to make a bitcoin you are seriously stupid to sell for $200... you might aswell not mine and be $150 better off..

the thing is that while smart miners are trading privately behind the scenes for cost prices, alot of them have given up even caring about public exchanges and thus the trade volume of public exchanges has dropped 90% since last year.

but stupid, noobs and sheeple still think that public exchanges that now only play with bots and day traders of small dust amounts, being the valuer of bitcoin.

this is not the case, the crappy public exchanges are dying and should not be the indicator of true value.. public exchanges are just the stirring caldron of the day traders, stirring coins in circles and pretending the exchange value has true 'supply/demand' value.

anyone with just 200 coins can tank or pump a public exchange and send the entire market cap from $4billion either to $3billion or upto $5billion.

once people ignore public exchanges to value their coins and instead only sell coins based on their personal costs of mining or buying.. then the sheeple will become whales

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
hamiltino (OP)

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:23:51 PM

if it costs you $350 in electric to make a bitcoin you are seriously stupid to sell for $200... you might aswell not mine and be $150 better off..

the thing is that while smart miners are trading privately behind the scenes for cost prices, alot of them have given up even caring about public exchanges and thus the trade volume of public exchanges has dropped 90% since last year.

but stupid, noobs and sheeple still think that public exchanges that now only play with bots and day traders of small dust amounts, being the valuer of bitcoin.

this is not the case, the crappy public exchanges are dying and should not be the indicator of true value.. public exchanges are just the stirring caldron of the day traders, stirring coins in circles and pretending the exchange value has true 'supply/demand' value.

anyone with just 200 coins can tank or pump a public exchange and send the entire market cap from $4billion either to $3billion or upto $5billion.

once people ignore public exchanges to value their coins and instead only sell coins based on their personal costs of mining or buying.. then the sheeple will become whales

I reckon the best way to determine the current price of bitcoin is to see how much it costs to produce 1 bitcoin at any given time. Not to say that the cost of production determines the price, its more of an indicator of what people are willing to pay at that time.

I agree, there is manipulation on most bitcoin exchanges because its just so easy to do.

stacking coin
James222

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Wassup?

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:26:18 PM

I think it does and here's why: If you can make a bitcoin for 1$, why would you buy one for 300$? It does influence the price, but it's not the only factor determining it's price.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:42:12 PM

So some people claim that coins are worthless if the cost of production is near zero. Other people claim that it doesn't matter what the cost to producing a coin is as there are other factors that determine the price.

What are your opinions?

The myth lives on.

Consider Proof-of-Stake coins. The cost of production of Proof-of-Stake coins is 0, yet they are not worthless.

It is actually the other way around. The cost of production depends of the value of the coins produced because of the way the difficulty works.

More accurately, if a bitcoin sells for $200, then it is seriously stupid to pay $350 to mine it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 07:46:40 PM

Quote from: franky1 link=topic=833809.msg9318179

This seems implausible. You're taking +/- ~25%. How is it that bearwhale's 30,000 weren't able to achieve a movement of this magnitude?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
LeChatNoir

Activity: 699
Merit: 501

Coinpanion.io - Copy Successful Crypto Traders

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 08:47:26 PM

I think bitcoiners seriously need an economic crash course

Coinpanion.io - Copy Successful Crypto Traders
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 09:31:26 PM

This seems implausible. You're taking +/- ~25%. How is it that bearwhale's 30,000 weren't able to achieve a movement of this magnitude?
~4,000 coins being mined every day, so it's only 9 days worth of coins you're talking about. Relative to the over ~1,500 days bitcoin has existed.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 10:00:55 PM

i have seen a few dumps over the last couple  months that involved only a couple hundred coin volume to drop the price $75-$100.. these dumps were not the cause of thousands or millions of coins, but just a couple hundred

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
resya

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 10:10:37 PM

I think it does and here's why: If you can make a bitcoin for 1$, why would you buy one for 300$? It does influence the price, but it's not the only factor determining it's price.

Good point, I was kicking around the idea that btc was base pricing itself to the aggregate cost of mining, and now someone else confirms my suspicion..thanks.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 10:57:08 PM

Good point, I was kicking around the idea that btc was base pricing itself to the aggregate cost of mining, and now someone else confirms my suspicion..thanks.

Sorry. It is not a good point, because it assumes that the entire demand for bitcoins could be satisfied by mining. In fact, the number of bitcoins obtained by mining would not change, so the number of bitcoins traded on exchanges would not change.

For example, let's suppose that 1000 people want 1 bitcoin each, 100 bitcoins are mined, and the price is 300$. 100 people would get mined bitcoins and 900 people would buy the bitcoins for 300$. Now, suppose the cost of mining bitcoins drops to 1$. Still, 100 people would get mined bitcoins, and 900 people would buy the bitcoins for 300$ each. Nothing has changed.

Furthermore, if it only costs 1$ to mine a bitcoin, then people would start mining like crazy and the difficulty would rise until the cost of mining a bitcoin is about 300$. The price of a bitcoin determines the cost of mining.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 11:30:42 PM

Sorry. It is not a good point, because it assumes that the entire demand for bitcoins could be satisfied by mining. In fact, the number of bitcoins obtained by mining would not change, so the number of bitcoins traded on exchanges would not change.

For example, let's suppose that 1000 people want 1 bitcoin each, 100 bitcoins are mined, and the price is 300$. 100 people would get mined bitcoins and 900 people would buy the bitcoins for 300$. Now, suppose the cost of mining bitcoins drops to 1$. Still, 100 people would get mined bitcoins, and 900 people would buy the bitcoins for 300$ each. Nothing has changed.

Furthermore, if it only costs 1$ to mine a bitcoin, then people would start mining like crazy and the difficulty would rise until the cost of mining a bitcoin is about 300$. The price of a bitcoin determines the cost of mining.

the cost of mining wont drop to $1.. so give up on that mindset..

lets say that the cost of mining is about $300-$350 right now (epending on factors). right so
the 3600 sold 7 days ago sold for above $300,
the 3600 sold 6 days ago sold for above $300,
the 3600 sold 5 days ago sold for above $300,
the 3600 sold 4 days ago sold for above $300,
the 3600 sold 3 days ago sold for above $300,
the 3600 sold 2 days ago sold for above $300,
the 3600 sold 1 days ago sold for above $300,

so in the last week there has been atleast 25,000 coins that were sold for atleast $300.. and the buyers of those coins will not sell for less.. so now on the 8th day there is atleast 25000 coins of resistance point (wont sell below $300)

the only people that sell below this are the 'willy' bots and those that bought real cheap last year,.

eventually every sell is swapping funds into the hands of different people. and thus bringing more reinforcement to the resistance point.

that being said.. right now mining costs and mining sells are not really being done via exchanges, meaning that exchanges are left in the hands of the bots and whales.. thus we should not rely on these crappy exchanges as any guideline of supply or demand, as the bank movements do not compare to exchange price changes.

in 2012-20113 there were nice correlations between mining resistance points and exchange prices.. but this year the crappy exchanges are just controlled by devious bots, thus harder to predict.

if we went back to previous years (no withdraw limit) based exchanges, the true bank movement supply and demand would bring back a better and fairer view of the resistance points. but right now most miners are not trading on crappy public exchanges. thus we are seeing weak volumes and very weak resistance points.

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 05:59:44 AM

What are your opinions?
The cost of mining has little influence on the price of Bitcoin. The price of Bitcoin has a considerable influence on mining activity. Look at the price and difficulty charts for the last six months.
bitnanigans

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 06:04:25 AM

A Bitcoin is worth what the market, or you as an individual is willing to pay for it. Basic rules of supply and demand apply.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 07:37:09 AM

Not sure how this goes about but cost of production can never be zero. No matter what you still need electricity to perform calculations. Unless you are at a place where electricity is fully free and hardware is donated. The bitcoin market price will be almost in parity with cost of production.

devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:50:32 AM

Price is linked to demand only. Demand is linked to unique use cases. Period.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: