Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:06:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 300 nodes only??!!!  (Read 1803 times)
Nunud (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:34:10 AM

Hi!

300... Thats the number of nodes said to be active right now on BlockChain.info... Are these the computers that support the entire BitCoin network? Is that what a node is?

If so, then I'm a little surprised... Thought there would be more, like tens of thousands maybe!  Shocked
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:36:19 AM

That's the number of nodes blockchain.info is directly connected to.

EDIT:

Check out: http://bitcoinstatus.rowit.co.uk/ (it shows a number slightly less than 20K)

Also, it's not possible to get a reliable node count for the Bitcoin network, these are only estimations. Plus, node count doesn't tell much about the number of active users, since a lot of people don't run their own nodes.
Nunud (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 11:38:01 AM

OK! Some sort of 'first circle' then... Wow, I was a little worried for a moment there!  Grin
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 12:34:38 PM

OK! Some sort of 'first circle' then... Wow, I was a little worried for a moment there!  Grin

Well 'first circle' would imply blockchain.info is at the center.

blockchain.info node is simply a peer among peers.

Many nodes for security reasons don't accept incoming connections and connect only to peers they trust so even if blockchain.info tried to connect to every node it simply couldn't.
Nunud (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 01:23:21 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2012, 04:15:14 PM by Nunud

EDIT:

Check out: http://bitcoinstatus.rowit.co.uk/ (it shows a number slightly less than 20K)

Also, it's not possible to get a reliable node count for the Bitcoin network, these are only estimations. Plus, node count doesn't tell much about the number of active users, since a lot of people don't run their own nodes.

20000... Much much better! Cool

Even if the count is not precise, this shows that the network is really robust!

Thanks for the link!
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 01:50:48 PM

That node count on the homepage is wrong.

If you look at the total relayed count on inventory information e.g. (http://blockchain.info/inv/00000000000009aaf32be97019bfde76bcc3c79fe5e40ca4f7fc7bac6a5883cd) you'll see the site is connected to about 3k - 4k nodes (which fits nicely with rowits estimation of around ~4k listening hosts).

Nunud (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 01:56:58 PM

Well 'first circle' would imply blockchain.info is at the center.

blockchain.info node is simply a peer among peers.

Many nodes for security reasons don't accept incoming connections and connect only to peers they trust so even if blockchain.info tried to connect to every node it simply couldn't.

I meant BlockChain.info's own personal first circle...  Smiley
Nunud (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 01:57:34 PM

That node count on the homepage is wrong.

If you look at the total relayed count on inventory information e.g. (http://blockchain.info/inv/00000000000009aaf32be97019bfde76bcc3c79fe5e40ca4f7fc7bac6a5883cd) you'll see the site is connected to about 3k - 4k nodes (which fits nicely with row its estimation of around ~4k listening hosts).

As long as it's not 300, I'm happy!  Cool
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 04:11:59 PM

Why is the node count on a steady decrease?

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 04:20:45 PM

online wallet services

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 04:24:43 PM

online wallet services
I think Electrum's getting more use, too. The blockchain's getting ridiculous in size. It takes way too much time where the hard drive is practically unusable. It's almost to the point where you can't just go to sleep after starting the client and expect everything to be ready to go when you wake up. With SatoshiDICE adding 100MB every month or so, I don't think there will be many "full" clients by the time the block reward halves, unless a solution's implemented.
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 04:56:40 PM

THIS IS BITCOIN!

bzzard

Activity: 398

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 05:01:36 PM

Is there any software to support the bitcoin network without hogging the HDD? I have some spare bandwidth on my server, but running just some client seems to be useless.

BTCCharts.com - still for free!
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 05:16:53 PM

Is there any software to support the bitcoin network without hogging the HDD? I have some spare bandwidth on my server, but running just some client seems to be useless.

I think if Bitcoin wants to keep it's decentralized resilience we need ^ ASAP. The node count and the blockchain size are both the only two things that worry me when it comes to Bitcoin's future.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 06:14:20 PM

online wallet services
I think Electrum's getting more use, too. The blockchain's getting ridiculous in size. It takes way too much time where the hard drive is practically unusable. It's almost to the point where you can't just go to sleep after starting the client and expect everything to be ready to go when you wake up. With SatoshiDICE adding 100MB every month or so, I don't think there will be many "full" clients by the time the block reward halves, unless a solution's implemented.

The newer versions are much better.  From a clean install it takes about 2 hours.  So a daily or weekly update should take a tiny fraction of that.  Still there is a lot more room for improvement.  I mean 1.3 GB isn't that large.  I don't see why the coldboot time couldn't be reduced to <15 minutes per GB.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 07:10:48 PM

I can tell you why one of them fell out.

Firstly, I did not feel that there is enough consideration and effort going into optimization required to realistically operate nodes in 'lower echelon' environments.  The bulk of the effort I detected was directed toward denying that there is a potential issue looming.

Secondly it's a bitch to compile bitcoind on anything but the one 'true' platform.  I've got to futz with this every time I wish to upgrade.  (I've not checked to see if anyone has developed a functional auto-configuration system yet...but I doubt it.)

Thirdly, and most importantly, I've got other interests and responsibilities.

Next time I run a node it will probably be on a dedicated micro instance in AWS or some similar platform.  That probably won't be until I have the time and inclination to actually do something positive toward support of the project rather than just whine.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: