Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:05:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: uncommon forms of saving/investing  (Read 929 times)
grouper fish (OP)

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 10:37:15 AM

Alot of people here on this forum seems to have a good eye for spotting a potential profit. And there is also no shortage on strange investment proposals and stuff for sale.

Both of these points got me thinking that there has to be alot of strange/unusual forms of investing and saving going on here.  Cheesy

I for one like to buy stuff and I don't like to see money sitting there doing nothing. This had led to a very strange collection of stuff that I hope someday with pay out more than todays cost..  Roll Eyes

The point of this thread is to share your good/or bad investments, as long as they are a bit unusual or weird. They can be long term, like a pension fund made up of antique corkscrews or just something you picked up at the thrift store with the hopes of a quick ebay resale.

What's the stuff that's going to make you rich one day and that no one else understands?

My current portfolio is not that strange,  Roll Eyes

long term,
A few comics.
Vintage video games.
a few Laser discs (not my best move)
Trading cards
Gold and Silver

Short term,
nothing at the moment but I'm keeping an eye out  Wink

"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SamTsuedo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:12:14 PM

Old coins work for long term too.
aatrox

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:24:16 PM

the comic book thing depends no?

I mean like a spiderman version 1 episode 1 or something.
grouper fish (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 12:35:10 AM

the comic book thing depends no?

I mean like a spiderman version 1 episode 1 or something.

yes comics are a bit tricky, depends on condition and if it's a key issue or not.

Just buying up cheap comics without knowing what your doing is most likely a bad idea. OR you could just have fun and collect the ones you like and hope that your lucky.  Smiley

nsimmons

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 12:46:53 AM

I have some old books, early 1800's, 1700's, science and natural philosophy, they are worth a few thousand.
This is my favourite, I have this exact edition.
http://www.rookebooks.com/product?prod_id=23332

Mine has an inscription from 1857.

grouper fish (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 01:28:15 AM

I have some old books, early 1800's, 1700's, science and natural philosophy, they are worth a few thousand.

wow that's a really nice book! If I had the know how (and the money) I would definitely want to collect some books with that kind of romantic natural history. What kind of prints are those?

I used to have a few art nouveau styled books with nice illustrations from early 20th century, nothing like your books but still fun to look at. No idea what happened to them though..  Roll Eyes

nsimmons

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 02:52:46 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2014, 05:30:11 AM by nsimmons

wow that's a really nice book! If I had the know how (and the money) I would definitely want to collect some books with that kind of romantic natural history. What kind of prints are those?

I used to have a few art nouveau styled books with nice illustrations from early 20th century, nothing like your books but still fun to look at. No idea what happened to them though..  Roll Eyes

I'll have to look it up again, but they are pressed engravings of some kind. You can feel the ink ridges with your finger. I found them here.
http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/author/oliver-goldsmith/pics/sortby/1/n/200000038/

Turned out the seller was in the next town over so I got to see his collection, he had an a copy of Erasmus' In praise of folly.

I was allowed to look briefly. Looked just like this.

bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 03:55:53 AM

I have few coins that do not have much value at the moment but they're around 80-90 years old (some of them) and right now there is no demand for them but maybe someday they might. I also have few watches(seiko rado) which are vintage and somewhat rare as they're not made anymore, they're almost 50 years old and still in a very good condition. So may be someday these might bring me something good.

anivia

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 04:46:21 AM

i would just buy a bunch of safe stocks.
nsimmons

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 05:28:10 AM

i would just buy a bunch of safe stocks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

Full Definition of UNCOMMON
:  not ordinarily encountered :  unusual <an uncommon plant>
:  remarkable, exceptional <a soldier of uncommon courage>
— un·com·mon·ly adverb
— un·com·mon·ness noun

grouper fish (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 06:23:03 AM

I used to have a few art nouveau styled books with nice illustrations from early 20th century, nothing like your books but still fun to look at. No idea what happened to them though..  Roll Eyes

I'll have to look it up again, but they are pressed engravings of some kind. You can feel the ink ridges with your finger. I found them here.
http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/author/oliver-goldsmith/pics/sortby/1/n/200000038/

Turned out the seller was in the next town over so I got to see his collection, he had an a copy of Erasmus' In praise of folly.

I was allowed to look briefly. Looked just like this.

IMG

Maybe Copperplate engraving? Always fun to se someone else's collection, unfortunatly alot of people tend to be quite private about them. But I guess that's understandable when there is a lot of money involved.  Undecided

I think the rarest book I have been in contact with is a copy of the Encyclopédie, dont remember the edition..only that it was 18th century and that I didn't get to touch it. That last part made me think it was quite boring.  Cheesy

grouper fish (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 06:31:43 AM

I have few coins that do not have much value at the moment but they're around 80-90 years old (some of them) and right now there is no demand for them but maybe someday they might. I also have few watches(seiko rado) which are vintage and somewhat rare as they're not made anymore, they're almost 50 years old and still in a very good condition. So may be someday these might bring me something good.

How old does a coin have to be before it's considered old? I really dont know anything about coins, only have a few for the silver value.

Do they have to depict certain historical events or something to be considered collectible?

I think watches can be a good investment, I had to get one for everyday wear and found a cheap 60's Omega. At least it wont decrease in value like a new lesser name brand.  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: