Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:55:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie on android wallet  (Read 1112 times)
df5102 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:40:22 AM

i used desktop wallet before but the full nodes one takes few weeks to show up the bitcoins, anyway i switch to mobile, which is much

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
df5102 (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:43:16 AM

disregard this post by now, because there is no delete button on mobile, i still figute it out
PangPang

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:55:33 AM

If you have problems with the bitcoin core wallet (takes lots of space/bandwidth, long initial sync, etc), you could try Electrum and Multibit. They are both thin clients, and you can find their description and links on https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

df5102 (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 09:25:36 AM

i want to know more about the file in android that controls the bitcoins. i have no problems using it, able to send and receive, but don't know how to deal with that file. It is different from the wallet.dat in desktop.
PangPang

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 09:43:12 AM

i want to know more about the file in android that controls the bitcoins. i have no problems using it, able to send and receive, but don't know how to deal with that file. It is different from the wallet.dat in desktop.

You can find the following in the readme on https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet/tree/master/wallet

Your wallet contains your private keys and various transaction related metadata. It is stored in app-private
storage:
Mainnet: /data/data/de.schildbach.wallet/files/wallet-protobuf (MODE_PRIVATE)

The wallet file format is not compatible to wallet.dat (Satoshi client). Rather, it uses a custom protobuf format
which should be compatible between clients using bitcoinj.

Your wallet can be manually backed up to and restored from external storage:
Mainnet: /sdcard/Download/bitcoin-wallet-backup-<yyyy-MM-dd>

The manual backup files are encrypted using your chosen backup password. You can use OpenSSL to decrypt:
openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -a -in <filename>

df5102 (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 09:49:59 AM

thanks for the info. For that file, it that just save it somewhere, or upload it to online storage, and then next time i have another new mobile phone i just paste that file to replace the original one?
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 10:00:28 AM

thanks for the info. For that file, it that just save it somewhere, or upload it to online storage, and then next time i have another new mobile phone i just paste that file to replace the original one?

You can simple take backup of current wallet and use that backup file in new cellphone to restore your wallet.

Menu -> Safety ->  Backup wallet/ Restore wallet.

mezmerizer9

Activity: 782
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 10:24:20 AM

i used desktop wallet before but the full nodes one takes few weeks to show up the bitcoins, anyway i switch to mobile, which is much

If you have problems with the bitcoin core wallet (takes lots of space/bandwidth, long initial sync, etc), you could try Electrum and Multibit. They are both thin clients, and you can find their description and links on https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

I've tried electrum, the first time I got into BTC but thenI've svitched to blockchains. They're the best, I'm using theirs online and mobile wallet. I'd recommend you that one.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution       

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation 

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 10:43:58 AM

You can find the following in the readme on https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet/tree/master/wallet

Your wallet contains your private keys and various transaction related metadata. It is stored in app-private
storage:
Mainnet: /data/data/de.schildbach.wallet/files/wallet-protobuf (MODE_PRIVATE)

The wallet file format is not compatible to wallet.dat (Satoshi client). Rather, it uses a custom protobuf format
which should be compatible between clients using bitcoinj.

Your wallet can be manually backed up to and restored from external storage:
Mainnet: /sdcard/Download/bitcoin-wallet-backup-<yyyy-MM-dd>

The manual backup files are encrypted using your chosen backup password. You can use OpenSSL to decrypt:
openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -a -in <filename>

If you want to access to default file location, you will have to root your phone, but it is a bad idea. And, before you install apps, check permissions and also try to install Antivirus/Security apps like AVG and 360. It scans app which is really helpful.

~~MZ~~

PangPang

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 10:45:13 AM

I've tried electrum, the first time I got into BTC but thenI've svitched to blockchains. They're the best, I'm using theirs online and mobile wallet. I'd recommend you that one.

The blockchain.info wallet is indeed very good, but you should be careful with phishing emails and phishing links. Also, don't forget to enable 2FA for your wallet.

btcmulisha

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 12:30:27 PM

What android wallet is the majority using?
df5102 (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 01:05:07 PM

those desktop one, even for non full node, is very complicated. the android  one 'silderbach' is very convenient although there maybe security issue.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: