Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:04:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question!  (Read 1159 times)
zpinto (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:49:27 AM

Hi!
I read that every bitcoin information is stored through out the network, but i also read about people losing their HDD and losing their bitcoins along with it?
Hows that? isnt it stored over the internet?
Im thinking of reinstall windows, what files should i back up?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:54:05 AM

What is stored all over the internet is the full history of all transactions of everybody.

What is stored on your PC and your PC only is the set of private keys that you use to sign your transactions.  If you lose those keys, nobody can help you to recover them.

The file you should backup is called "wallet.dat".

All these are standard newbie questions, please read the FAQ and visit the wiki.

FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 12:58:59 AM

What is stored all over the internet is the full history of all transactions of everybody.

What is stored on your PC and your PC only is the set of private keys that you use to sign your transactions.  If you lose those keys, nobody can help you to recover them.

APP_DATA/Bitcoin/wallet.dat (I think... I run linux, so mine's at ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat)

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
PiGames

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:30:02 AM

APP_DATA/Bitcoin/wallet.dat (I think... I run linux, so mine's at ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat)

C:/users/app data(hidden folder)/roaming/bitcoin/wallet.dat for win vista/7
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: