Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:46:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Never mined - What should I know ?  (Read 2160 times)
RappelzReborn (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 07:20:33 PM

Hello,

I really have no experience with Bitcoin world, so any help is hightly appreciated Grin

I'am pretty sure I can't mine with my shitty PC ?  Roll Eyes
I can mine with a RDP ? Windows 2012 32 GB RAM ...? or with web host ? Linux ?
& what should I know about mining
I'am really not sure how all this works , so please Sad help

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1RuneKing

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 07:39:13 PM

You can mine with your PC, but you're not likely to get much pool mining even if you had several decent graphics cards to work with as the BTC network has grown so large.
If you are wanting to get serious about mining then either mine altcoins (using bitinfocharts.com to figure out what) or go get an ASIC or two, you could probably even start with little USB miners, they're like $10.

Yes you can mine with VPS's and web hosts, though they aren't likely to do much, and you need to be familiar with command-line linux to do it. I have done a DRK miner with a free VPS, but it was a pain in my rear-end to do, and it really didn't produce all that much as they barely give you any CPU.
You can likely do the same for BTC.

Hope I helped, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Happy Mining  Grin Grin
RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 08:26:18 PM

You can mine with your PC, but you're not likely to get much pool mining even if you had several decent graphics cards to work with as the BTC network has grown so large.
If you are wanting to get serious about mining then either mine altcoins (using bitinfocharts.com to figure out what) or go get an ASIC or two, you could probably even start with little USB miners, they're like $10.

Yes you can mine with VPS's and web hosts, though they aren't likely to do much, and you need to be familiar with command-line linux to do it. I have done a DRK miner with a free VPS, but it was a pain in my rear-end to do, and it really didn't produce all that much as they barely give you any CPU.

Happy Mining  Grin Grin

Mining with my PC isn't an available option haha,my graphic card can't even work correctly with games like Naruto Ultimate ninja storm : Revolution & Payday 2 . so Mining ... guess not .

What's that ASIC you are talking about there ? & what are those USB miners? thanks for the help & sorry if I'am bothering you man

1RuneKing

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 09:43:32 PM

Happy Mining  Grin Grin

Mining with my PC isn't an available option haha,my graphic card can't even work correctly with games like Naruto Ultimate ninja storm : Revolution & Payday 2 . so Mining ... guess not .

What's that ASIC you are talking about there ? & what are those USB miners? thanks for the help & sorry if I'am bothering you man

ASIC stands for Application-Specific Integrated Cercuit
Basically its a piece of hardware that is designed to do one thing really well, and that is to compute the SHA-256 algorithms to mine bitcoin. (Or Scrypt for litecoin and dogecoin)

You can buy USB Asics for $10-$15 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=block+erupter&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ablock+erupter
Or you can buy some ASICs that are hundreds or even thousands of dollars http://www.gawminers.com/collections/all-miners
Simply googling comes up with several results.

Though in all honesty mining isn't for everyone, I stoppped mining months ago and now I simply trade. If you were wanting to get into Crypto and make some money, trading or investing are your best bets. But you never asked about that so I won't go into detail about it.

One things for certain if you decide to mine: make sure you do pooled mining, otherwise you're not likeyl to get a darned thing. (The exception is mining an altcoin on release because it's network is small)
Any other questions?
sandor111

Activity: 616

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 10:05:39 PM

If you're in it to make quick profits, not going to happen, mining is hardly profitable nowadays unless you really know what you're doing and have a huge farm and low power bills.
If you're going to buy hardware, make sure it's NOT pre-order, stay away from those, most of the pre-orders turned out to be scams (BFL, KNC, ...)

1RuneKing

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 10:25:37 PM

If you're in it to make quick profits, not going to happen, mining is hardly profitable nowadays unless you really know what you're doing and have a huge farm and low power bills.
If you're going to buy hardware, make sure it's NOT pre-order, stay away from those, most of the pre-orders turned out to be scams (BFL, KNC, ...)

In all honesty the best place to mine is where electricity would be the cheapest, so the Columbia Basin in Washington is a good place as we are surrounded by dams and wind turbines.

This guy is right, you're not gonna make a fast profit, there are a few exceptions (like mining when a coin first opens so you get a bunch early on), but unless you've got piles of expensive ASICs bitcoin mining isnt feasible for the everyday man.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 12:07:34 AM

What's that ASIC you are talking about there ? & what are those USB miners?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
NorTiaN

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 12:31:14 AM

Hello,

I really have no experience with Bitcoin world, so any help is hightly appreciated Grin

Dont mine bro. Sorry
FlyForFun

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 02:26:26 AM

Hello,

Only ASIC can mine now, the rest is just a waste of time and money...

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 06:23:33 AM

I guess I will just stay away from it then , thank you so much for the useful informations guys Grin really appreciate it Grin

Johanna

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 10:59:41 AM

Why not try cloud mining?...

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 02:47:13 PM

Can you please explain , what is cloud mining exactly ?  Shocked

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 03:00:24 PM

That's where you pay hardware manufactures to mine on their obsolete hardware in their facilities so that they can still make a profit off of it after they mined all the profit for themselves.  Kind of like hardware manufacture welfare.

How generous are you?

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 03:07:36 PM

That's where you pay hardware manufactures to mine on their obsolete hardware in their facilities so that they can still make a profit off of it after they mined all the profit for themselves.  Kind of like hardware manufacture welfare.

How generous are you?

Not that generous I guess haha Grin how much exactly we should pay ? let me guess we pay in $ and get less bitcoin (using preev.com) ?

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 03:14:25 PM

How generous are you?

Not that generous I guess haha Grin how much exactly we should pay ? let me guess we pay in $ and get less bitcoin (using preev.com) ?

I don't know what the going rate is honestly.  I, at this point, refuse to entertain the idea of cloud mining.  If it was profitable the the owners of the cloud hardware would be mining it themselves.

But yes I would expect you would have to pay more then you would earn, unless you held the coins till the value increased substantially, but that is a risk and a long term investment.  Unless your willing to join some type of pyramid scheme.

You would probably better off to buy coins and hold them.

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 04:19:19 PM

Can you please explain , what is cloud mining exactly ?  Shocked

That's where you pay hardware manufactures to mine on their obsolete hardware in their facilities so that they can still make a profit off of it after they mined all the profit for themselves.  Kind of like hardware manufacture welfare.

How generous are you?

I don't know what the going rate is honestly.  I, at this point, refuse to entertain the idea of cloud mining.  If it was profitable the the owners of the cloud hardware would be mining it themselves.

But yes I would expect you would have to pay more then you would earn, unless you held the coins till the value increased substantially, but that is a risk and a long term investment.  Unless your willing to join some type of pyramid scheme.

You would probably better off to buy coins and hold them.

Then I guess I will just buy some coins and hold them and wait even if it's long term investement , you see I'am young , I only have 17 years old so I guess I can  wait Grin
again , thank you & sorry for wasting your precious time mate

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 04:46:16 PM

Then I guess I will just buy some coins and hold them and wait even if it's long term investement , you see I'am young , I only have 17 years old so I guess I can  wait Grin

Not a waste.  Just keep researching and learning.

There's more to do than mining.  For instance installing the Bitcoin Client and downloading the blockchain so you have a wallet to keep your coins in.  Make sure you have plenty free hard drive space and keep your wallet.dat backed up and safe.

RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 05:00:49 PM

Not a waste.  Just keep researching and learning.

There's more to do than mining.  For instance installing the Bitcoin Client and downloading the blockchain so you have a wallet to keep your coins in.  Make sure you have plenty free hard drive space and keep your wallet.dat backed up and safe.

I already have some informations about that , I'am using Electrum as wallet , but can't see where is that wallet.dat
when I installed it for first time , it gave me some random words and told me to back those words up , in case I screw my PC up , I can get my wallet back . not sure how it works tho
also there is an option to Export & Import Private keys Shocked that's what u wanted to say ?

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 26, 2014, 05:20:33 PM

I already have some informations about that , I'am using Electrum as wallet ,

I don't know anything about the Electrum client.  They probably have a support thread or web site I would think.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 12:48:56 AM

Hello,

Eyeboot.com  Buy something from there IMO you need an ASIC.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: