Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:54:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal : Ostracism for scammers.  (Read 1189 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 11:55:23 AM

Im just putting this out there. In anarchic communities without a monopoly on force the biggest punishment is ostracism for a period of time depending on the severity of the crime committed so why should people with scammer labels still be allowed to operate within the community without making their victims whole ?

They should be only allowed to post on a "scammers" board or in the newbies section.

A good way to experiment with ostracism as a concept no ?

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 12:07:46 PM

Yes, I like this. I use my ignore button for the scammers but then inevitably somebody quotes their garbage and I read it anyway. Make a scammer subforum for them.

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
JJJJust

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 12:12:47 PM

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Giving scammers an entire section to brood in would just encourage the development of trolls and mod-oriented flamebait.

If a particular group wants to ostracize somebody, fine... but I don't think it should be a decision made for everyone. I, personally, have no problem accepting relevant and productive input from scammer tag affixed persons on ideas.

I would be in favor of banning them from the marketplace, though.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 12:13:48 PM

Yes, I like this. I use my ignore button for the scammers but then inevitably somebody quotes their garbage and I read it anyway. Make a scammer subforum for them.

They will probably just create newbie accounts anyway...but the time it takes to do so is annoying enough to provide some disincentive.

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 12:15:02 PM

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Giving scammers an entire section to brood in would just encourage the development of trolls and mod-oriented flamebait.

If a particular group wants to ostracize somebody, fine... but I don't think it should be a decision made for everyone. I, personally, have no problem accepting relevant and productive input from scammer tag affixed persons on ideas.

I would be in favor of banning them from the marketplace, though.

Thats also a good idea Smiley

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 12:19:37 PM

Pottery shards could be hard to get. Terra cotta may have to do.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 12:20:12 PM

I disagree.

The main reason we allow scammers to keep posting is so they can tell us if/what they're doing to repay their victim. People who are marked as scammers remain marked as such until every last issue is cleared up, which can take months to do.

Anyways, most people who get scammer tags move on to their next username.

No need to ban them from marketplace, when have you seen a scammer sell something to someone? Nobody will trade with them, let them post in there so they can respond to threads relevant to their scams.

JJJJust

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 12:29:25 PM

I thought the main thing about ostracism was unofficial collective punishment by the pack. The more official punishment gets dished out by a higher power (scammer label, separate forum, banning, etc.), the less I feel inclined to give them a vigilante helping of my own.

In order for a punishment to work, you have to know you're being punished.

What REALLY would be nice is: If you get ignored by somebody, on every one of their posts you see: "This user is ignoring you, replying to their post is of no consequence to them since they won't see it." Then again, that would also encourage trolling and flamebait... this is harder than I thought.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 03:37:50 PM

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68343.msg797913#msg797913
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: