Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:41:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many people pushing bitcoin on this forum have a vested interest?  (Read 2629 times)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:33:50 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2014, 01:50:28 PM by DannyHamilton

Typo? Not gonna make you lose bitcoins. PITA to type in, but safe from typos

Apparently we aren't allowed to demonstrate agreement with an opinion or add emphasis to a fact with a simple "+1".  I've recently had my "+1" posts removed.  Therefore, I'm typing out this message to indicate that I believe the quoted information needs extra emphasis to avoid being unnoticed in the rest of the chatter in this discussion. I may (or may not) also have added bold or underline tags to the text in the quote above to further emphasize the parts that I think are important to understand or be aware of.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mackminer (OP)

Activity: 348
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:21:24 PM

It's funny because you make the claim that Bitcoin is flawed yet fail to mention any of the flaws, here it goes:
1) Bitcoin is not anonymous, it's pseudoanonymous
2) Mining becomes too centralized, the blockchain is too big, potential 51% attack
3) SHA256 could be broken in the coming years

I'm not talking about the technical issues - just the user friendly/layman issues.

1BFf3Whvj118A5akc5fHhfLLwxYduMmq1d
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:50:29 PM

Obviously the bitcoin hoarders are going to say anything and perhaps believe anything to make bitcoin go "mainstream".

It has a shitload of problems though - non reversible transactions, mistakes in addresses (I have to be so careful making sure I've copied the correct address when sending) - we all make mistakes when doing this sort of thing - the addresses are too complex: FACT) when sending money/coins. Obviously the deflation aspect of the currency whether you believe that train of thought or not, the reality is people are pissed off for having spent their coins in the past because of their value now, including me~! and this is proof in the"real world", not theory, that deflationary currencies have serious issues.

Is this forum skewed and a dangerous place to lurk for advice and an objective view?

btw, this is from a person that started mining in 2011 and has a quite a few bitcoins, I also have the inherent human emotion called greed and lust.

Just because it's being discussed in senate and some corporations are embracing it means fuck all, seriously! It's all fueled on speculation and what the price will be tomorrow, next week, next year....it's easy to tap into someone elses greed, we all want more money - as it is, we have to get up early on Monday mornings to make a living....

Thanks.

If people who own a lot of Bitcoin don't support protocol development, Wall Street will. Trezor is just about ready to hit market I believe? They've frozen orders. Times will be good when a trusted hardware wallet is no more expensive than a thumb drive.
dissident

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:59:52 PM

bitcoin will never gain widespread acceptance if people are required to store secured wallets in separate computers or operating systems and risk having their coins stolen by scammers simply out of ignorance. Bitcoin has a high barrier to entry... basically you need to be a power user to understand it, and there's too many people who still want to 'cash in' by having bitcoin go to $10,000....

A bitcoin alternative will ultimately take over, assuming crypto currencies survive... being able to reverse fraudulent transactions within 24-48 hours would be a good first start, as would insurance of funds and ease of use. How many people actually use bitcoins? I bet the number is under a half million... a small pool of people still hold a large number of the coins... these people, if they really cared about bitcoin and it's spread, would selflessly donate their coins anonymously in giveaway threads if they have over say 1000 total coins.

Also the whole problem of the ever increasing blockchain size... ultimately a currency that terminates blockchain records after 6 months would be more secure and more ideal to keep the size in check. What's the point of holding every transaction record that ever existed forever?  I suppose you need this info in order to maintain information in bitcoin addresses I'm assuming?

Right now, with fees, it simply costs more to use bitcoins... vendors that do take it tend to inflate prices, and exchanges that do business charge transaction fees. Right now I can store cash in a bank for no fee. I hope it works out, but right now it's still very much the 'wild west'
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 01:59:54 AM

A bitcoin alternative will ultimately take over, assuming crypto currencies survive... being able to reverse fraudulent transactions within 24-48 hours would be a good first start,

That's not a currency, that's a payment system.

Please explain how you "reverse fraudulent transactions within 24-48 hours" when you hand someone a $100 bill, or a €20 note?

as would insurance of funds

I suspect that insurance will come along eventually.  There are always people/companies willing to take on the risk of others in exchange for a reasonable (or sometimes unreasonable) compensation.

and ease of use.

Bitcoin is a technology protocol.  It is still in it's infancy.  The internet was just as difficult to use and just as limited to a small subset of the population in the 1980s.  Given time to mature, additional layers will be built on top of that protocol to bring interfaces to the masses.

How many people actually use bitcoins? I bet the number is under a half million... a small pool of people still hold a large number of the coins... these people, if they really cared about bitcoin and it's spread, would selflessly donate their coins anonymously in giveaway threads if they have over say 1000 total coins.

No they wouldn't.  Giving away something to people who don't understand what they are receiving is wasteful and destructive.  Those who believe in and care about the long term success of bitcoin would do exactly what they are already doing.  Educating others and investing their time and resources in advancements that improve upon what is currently available.

Also the whole problem of the ever increasing blockchain size...

Has not been demonstrated to be a problem yet.  Just how big are the databases of other worldwide accounting systems?

ultimately a currency that terminates blockchain records after 6 months would be more secure

Clearly you don't understand what problems bitcoin solves or how it solves them.  Perhaps you should try reading the "Satoshi Whitepaper" before you try to pass judgement on something that you clearly don't even understand.

What's the point of holding every transaction record that ever existed forever?

Among other things it allows any node to verify the source of any payment without needing to trust any centralized entity.

I suppose you need this info in order to maintain information in bitcoin addresses I'm assuming?

Instead of "assuming" and then passing judgement on your own assumptions, try learning, and then passing judgement on actual facts.

Right now, with fees, it simply costs more to use bitcoins...

This is clearly not true in all cases.

vendors that do take it tend to inflate prices, and exchanges that do business charge transaction fees.

It is possible to acquire bitcoin without using exchanges (note that mainstream exchanges that allow you to exchange one currency for another ALSO charge transaction fees, but you conveniently ignore this when complaining about the bitcoin exchange fees). There are vendors that offer lower prices for bitcoin payment.

Right now I can store cash in a bank for no fee.

Someone is paying for that.  Usually it is you with lots of "hidden" charges (such as ATM fees, dormant account fees, purchase of checks, statement fees, teller fees, excessive use fees, insufficient use fees).  In addition if you pay with a debit card, the bank charges the merchant a fee, and the merchant needs to make sure they are profitable, so they simply increase the cost of everything they sell.  In this way you are indirectly paying your bank through the purchases you make.

I hope it works out, but right now it's still very much the 'wild west'

Definitely it is!
mrdavis

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2014, 03:28:23 AM

mistakes in addresses (I have to be so careful making sure I've copied the correct address when sending) - we all make mistakes when doing this sort of thing - the addresses are too complex: FACT)

I have typed an address incorrectly and hit send... and the client informed me that the address was invalid and nothing was lost.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Address
Several of the characters inside a Bitcoin address are used as a checksum so that typographical errors can be automatically found and rejected. The checksum also allows Bitcoin software to confirm that a 33-character (or shorter) address is in fact valid and isn't simply an address with a missing character.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: