Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:16:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1 possibility for whats next  (Read 1374 times)
cat2 (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:01:33 PM

I read this in an IPC technology briefing:

Just as metals may soon be replaced in many products by the new compounds, it also appears that the days of copper circuits in electronic devices are numbered.

As new generations of computer chips continue to shrink in size, so do the copper pathways that transport electricity and information around the labyrinth of transistors and components. When these pathways grow smaller, they become less efficient, consume more power, and are more prone to permanent failure.

It is generally accepted that a replacement for traditional copper must be discovered and perfected in the next five to 10 years in order to perpetuate Moore's Law, the defining industry paradigm which states that "the number of transistors on a computer chip, and thus the chip's speed, should double every 18 to 24 months."

To overcome this hurdle, industry and academia are vigorously researching new candidates to succeed traditional copper as the material of choice for interconnects on computer chips. One promising candidate is graphene, an atom-thick sheet of carbon atoms arranged like a nanoscale chicken wire fence.

Prized by researchers for its unique properties, graphene is essentially a single layer of the graphite found commonly in our pencils or the charcoal we burn in our barbeque grills.

A new study at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in conjunction with Intel was recently published in the journal ACSNano. The Rensselaer researchers discovered they could enhance the ability of graphene to transmit electricity by stacking several thin graphene ribbons on top of one another. This brings the industry closer to designating graphene as the "heir apparent" to copper.

Single layers of graphene nanoribbons are not suitable for interconnects because they exhibit a "band gap," which is an energy gap between the valence and conduction bands, making them ineffective in this role.

The new study shows that stacking the graphene nanoribbons on top of each other significantly shrinks this band gap. Specifically, the optimal thickness is a stack of four to six layers of graphene; stacking more layers doesn't reduce the band gap any further.

The goal is to one day manufacture microprocessors with both the interconnects and the transistors made entirely out of graphene. This game-changing vision, called "monolithic integration," is likely still any years into the future.

If realized, it will certainly revolutionize the way computers and electronics are designed and manufactured.

><((((º>·.·..><((((º>
..·..><((((º>
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 09:53:35 PM

So you are telling me my next CPU will be made out of charcoal?

cat2 (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 10:44:05 PM

Possibly graphite. Who knows?  Smiley

><((((º>·.·..><((((º>
..·..><((((º>
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 10:53:37 PM

I think pcbs will always be made from copper. It is cheap and abundant. We can solve the so called problem by integrating more pre-built circuits on a single chip, thus reducing the need for interconnecting copper tracks.
cat2 (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 11:29:55 PM

I hope copper is around for awhile. All of our manufacturing technologies and my job are built around it.

Some PCBs are being built today by squirting conductive epoxy impregnated with silver particles using glorified inkjet machines. I've only heard of this used for prototypes. They use conductive epoxy of a different type for the interconnects between layers of circuitry. Laminate the sheets together. I probably cant imagine what else is being cooked up in labs right now for manufacturing circuits.

><((((º>·.·..><((((º>
..·..><((((º>
brontosaurus

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 07:43:25 PM

Copper is popular, reasonably cheap and works very well. It's easy to recycle and can be done so almost indefinitely, it will be around for a long time to come.
BTCish

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 05:42:01 AM

copper is staying for good and long time.

cat2 (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2014, 07:20:49 PM

Copper cant maintain the current rate of increase forever. Something has to change. One day asics will be very old news. Here's another possibility:

In a paper published today in Nature Nanotechnology, an international group of scientists announced the most significant breakthrough in a decade toward developing DNA-based electrical circuits.

http://phys.org/news/2014-10-breakthrough-molecular-electronics-paves-dna-based.html

><((((º>·.·..><((((º>
..·..><((((º>
fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2014, 03:29:14 AM

So you are telling me my next CPU will be made out of charcoal?

Instead of sand!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: