Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:26:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Payout Updates] Bitcoinica site is taken offline for security investigation  (Read 156628 times)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 11:43:19 AM

Wheres my money!!! I sent you all my bitcoinica emails, all my mtgox codes (Only method used to fund account), I filed a claim and haven received ANY emails back. I talked to phantomcircuit in IRC and he told me that my account was small and i should wait an additional 3-4 days. That was two weeks ago. Not getting paid is one thing, not getting a SINGLE REPLY from my emails is another. WTF is taking so long! I want my M*therF*cking MONEY!

Last week was before another ~$350,000 was stolen.  I suspect that everyone will now be waiting more than a few additional days for the processing of claims to resume.
I am afraid they will completely stop the payouts because of this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93109.0

They probably will. I can't imagine anyone with any sense would touch the money that's left with all that's going on, at least until the lawyers get through with discovery and work something out.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3046

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 01:10:26 PM

they will completely stop the payouts because of this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93109.0

More gross negligence then.  They can't use customer deposits to pay for legal defense, so what is their excuse for not paying refunds?  Childish revenge?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 02:01:51 PM

More gross negligence then.  They can't use customer deposits to pay for legal defense, ...
This is a very interesting point and I'll surely bring it to the attention of others. This did not occur to me. Thank you for bringing this up.

... so what is their excuse for not paying refunds?  Childish revenge?
I don't know and it's becoming less and less likely that anyone will even care. I was trying to stay out of it, in fact I said that there can be a reasonable explanation why the communication appears to be weird and the payouts are slow: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=81045.msg903915#msg903915

Then I wrote Genjix that I highly recommend they hire professionals because people are unhappy and it might not end up well. That was last Thursday. The next day, poof!, another hack. I am a patient man, but my patience is not infinite. Surely there are plenty of others who are much less patient than me.
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 02:28:23 PM

Well, well, well. Say I had this customer's account full of money but no money myself, and I knew more than a couple big fish are going to sue me. Or maybe just this one guy with over 20k Bitcoins lost that gave me a one day ultimatum to repay him before he starts legal actions. I might be tempted to leave my MtGox account unlocked for just one more "hacker" attack. Pure self-defense and desperation. People will blame it on genjix for leaking the source code. He's being set up I guess, and the only one near Patrick, Donald, Tihan, and Weldon who I think is innocent here.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 02:55:42 PM

they will completely stop the payouts because of this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93109.0

More gross negligence then.  They can't use customer deposits to pay for legal defense, so what is their excuse for not paying refunds?  Childish revenge?

It is irrelevant whether or not the funds would be used for legal defense (one presumes they would not).

If lawsuits are threatened, as another mentioned, most lawyers would advise stopping refunds until all legal challenges are completed and the court settles refund amounts and claimants.  Bitcoinica would not want to refund, and then have a court show they should not have refunded X amount to Y person.

So, good show, chaps.  You have now delayed your refunds for at least another year or two.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
dopamine

Activity: 486

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:15:42 PM

Well we can officially say bitcoincia is dead. They have no plans on reopening up, who would ever deposit anything with them when they can't even refund customer funds or even give a update on what they are gonna do with the remaining 70% funds.

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:31:39 PM

More gross negligence then.  They can't use customer deposits to pay for legal defense, so what is their excuse for not paying refunds?  Childish revenge?

It is irrelevant whether or not the funds would be used for legal defense (one presumes they would not).

If lawsuits are threatened, as another mentioned, most lawyers would advise stopping refunds until all legal challenges are completed and the court settles refund amounts and claimants.  Bitcoinica would not want to refund, and then have a court show they should not have refunded X amount to Y person.

So, good show, chaps.  You have now delayed your refunds for at least another year or two.

~35% of claimants are marked accurate
~86% of total funds are marked accurate
~25% of total funds have been repaid

So apparently 10 days ago around 25% have already been repaid. It would have been great if those lawsuit hungry people could have waited until all those remaining 70% (after the hack) have been repaid. And if lawsuits are really your thing, sue after that.
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:32:10 PM

If lawsuits are threatened, as another mentioned, most lawyers would advise stopping refunds until all legal challenges are completed and the court settles refund amounts and claimants.  Bitcoinica would not want to refund, and then have a court show they should not have refunded X amount to Y person.
Jeff, we did not start it. Amir wrote that he's already being sued before BadBitcoin announced anything, and that he does not know what will happen next. This post has been deleted in the meantime, but it is being quoted here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93074.msg1027601#msg1027601

Tihan wrote that they are considering legal action against Amir, Patrick and Norman here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93074.msg1028157#msg1028157

So what's the most rational choice for the depositors, just sit and wait until more money mysteriously vanishes and maybe people end up in jail? What good does that for us getting our money back, ever? Hahaha, I still have no money, but now someone is in jail and I need to pay, through taxes, for his lodgings and food? Does that make any sense to you? At least when litigation is threatened or in place, we can get the funds frozen (e.g. by Mt. Gox) until someone refunds us.

It was not us who delayed it, in fact I defended the delays before here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=81045.msg903915#msg903915. I'm not going to point fingers at who caused it, as I don't have sufficient information and don't want to falsely accuse anyone and I don't actually care. But it wasn't us. And I don't need to know who caused it, I just want my money back.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 03:33:45 PM

They need to stop suing each other and get to the business of refunding the customer. I don't care how much these guys hate each other.

thest0ckman

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 03:44:45 PM

safe to assume payouts have stopped? if anyone got paid over the weekend or after the date of this post please let us know.

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 04:06:05 PM

Amir wrote that he's already being sued before BadBitcoin announced anything, and that he does not know what will happen next.
This post has been deleted in the meantime, but it is being quoted here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93074.msg1027601#msg1027601

I have physical health problems and need to see a doctor, but haven't had the time. On the forums I'm called a scammer and repeatedly insulted. Someone is trying to sue us. My bank gave me crap and held my money. I was borrowing cash from friends and spent 3 days eating bad muesli and cheap milk. I lost a lot of code by accident. I put a lot of work into the bitcoin.org clients page to make everything fairer, and now it will be removed, helping to recentralise bitcoin again. Electrum maybe has a security flaw and Macs have random problems. The conference needs the CFP announced soon, but I have to deal with Bitcoinica first. My health is suffering and im getting headaches. Right now is the first time I'm feeling depression, and I'm a little worried because I've never had it before but my father did. I emailed a health professional and they advised me to seek help. I've started sleeping very long, being very lethargic and apathetic. When the Bitcoinica thing first happened, I was considering suicide until Tihan said he had the funds.

Ok, that's a bit scary. Someone needs to get in touch with genjix, make sure he's physically ok.

It's a bad situation, but certainly not one worth ending yourself over. This too shall pass.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 04:12:27 PM

Amir wrote that he's already being sued before BadBitcoin announced anything, and that he does not know what will happen next.
This post has been deleted in the meantime, but it is being quoted here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93074.msg1027601#msg1027601

I have physical health problems and need to see a doctor, but haven't had the time. On the forums I'm called a scammer and repeatedly insulted. Someone is trying to sue us. My bank gave me crap and held my money. I was borrowing cash from friends and spent 3 days eating bad muesli and cheap milk. I lost a lot of code by accident. I put a lot of work into the bitcoin.org clients page to make everything fairer, and now it will be removed, helping to recentralise bitcoin again. Electrum maybe has a security flaw and Macs have random problems. The conference needs the CFP announced soon, but I have to deal with Bitcoinica first. My health is suffering and im getting headaches. Right now is the first time I'm feeling depression, and I'm a little worried because I've never had it before but my father did. I emailed a health professional and they advised me to seek help. I've started sleeping very long, being very lethargic and apathetic. When the Bitcoinica thing first happened, I was considering suicide until Tihan said he had the funds.

Ok, that's a bit scary. Someone needs to get in touch with genjix, make sure he's physically ok.

It's a bad situation, but certainly not one worth ending yourself over. This too shall pass.

Yeah, that concerns me, and it's a big part of the reason I think the witch-hunt mentality ought to be dialed back.  Maybe it's all a scam, maybe Amir is playing us all, but there's just no way to know right now, and the possibility that somebody is that seriously ill over all this is enough of a reason to be careful.  This whole situation is horrible, but it's not worth somebody's life.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 04:30:43 PM

This whole situation is horrible, but it's not worth somebody's life.

You and I have differing opinions.  Several hundred thousand dollars is certainly worth more than a person's life.  

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 04:31:39 PM

You and I have differing opinions.  Several hundred thousand dollars is certainly worth more than a person's life. 
Murderous fucktard alert

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 04:34:31 PM

You and I have differing opinions.  Several hundred thousand dollars is certainly worth more than a person's life. 
Murderous fucktard alert

lol

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 04:36:12 PM

Murderous fucktard alert

lol
BTW, the US government actually has hard numbers that they assign to the value of a human life. The EPA currently has a statistical average value of a human life pegged between 5 and 7 million US dollars.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2012, 04:38:47 PM

You and I have differing opinions.  Several hundred thousand dollars is certainly worth more than a person's life.  
Murderous fucktard alert

lol
BTW, the US government actually has hard numbers that they assign to the value of a human life. The EPA currently has a statistical average value of a human life pegged between 5 and 7 million US dollars.

Hmmm, I wonder why the Octomom (woman who had 8 babies at once after already having 6) is currently having to strip to make ends meet.  At what age does this value kick in?

A better example:  Let's say a forum member is very lazy and does not want to work.  He threatens to kill himself unless we donate to him a million dollars worth of bitcoins ( an extreme value based on his worth of $7 MILLION!).  Obviously we don't do it.  Does that make us all murderous fucktards?

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 05:05:34 PM

I think you'll find that's their perceived value of an American (i.e. USA) life.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 05:06:50 PM

I think you'll find that's their perceived value of an American (i.e. USA) life.
Sadly I believe you would be correct.

HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 16, 2012, 05:26:20 PM

hopefully that genjix has relaxed his brain at the hack conference, and come back with some acceptable plan.

I want my money back. 100% of money.  If I don't see the hope of it, I preserve my right for taking legal action.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
Pages: « 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »
  Print  

Jump to: