Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:53:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating Reputation  (Read 2116 times)
vite (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1018
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 10:33:03 PM

I am not tech savyy enough for the OTC page,
and I mostly like to come here and read post, don't post too often, so how do I create reputation?
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 10:34:30 PM

If we told you we'd have to kill you.

Come play chess with me, that will help a little.

fantasypublishings.com

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 10:39:26 PM

and I mostly like to come here and read post, don't post too often, so how do I create reputation?

Are you stuck on the GPG part or the OTC part?

Video tutorial:
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYJ-GdErX1c

- http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/GPG_authentication#Third-party_guides

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 11:39:17 PM

You don't create reputation, you earn it. Words from the wise!

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 12:06:45 AM

Yep, and asking how to increase your rep usually lands you on my "suspicious" list.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
vite (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 04:23:24 AM

Yep, and asking how to increase your rep usually lands you on my "suspicious" list.

Atleast quote my words correctly before criticism, I never said increase, I said create or establish. Anyway I ask not for myself more to be able to filter out people in this forum.
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 04:25:56 AM

I never quoted you, I was just making an observation.

www.bitminter.com

!
vite (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 02:36:51 PM

I never quoted you, I was just making an observation.

Yes true, my mistake... thanks for all of your input
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2012, 02:39:17 PM

Well since you want to create a reputation for yourself.There are many ways you can go about it.If you contribute something to the community,make sucessful trades with other people (not just loans,buying and selling stuff counts as well),donate to this forum (as that earns some reputation and shows that you care enough about this forum for you to donate).Other ways,you'll learn how to gain reputation, as you go along really.

Avoid making the common mistake where people think that taking out small loans and repaying them successfully will earn them reputation and then taking out larger loans.This doesn't work as well as it used to as scammers have caught people out doing this (out of their BTC and running off with it).

Making good posts will add to it as well.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 05:54:18 PM

Quickest way to increase your reputation:

1) Delete all of your posts.

2) PM all members that quoted you and pay them to delete that post.

3) Delete your forum account.

4) Never return.

That was about the rudest response I can imagine.

The OP has been a member of this forum since January.  If you viewed vite's post history, you'll see many posts in Spanish.  For bitcoin to become a global currency  it needs participation from those around the globe.   Oddly enough for some of us, the majority of the those around the globe don't speak English as their primarily language.

Specifically, what that means is that if someone uses a word in the wrong context or even if that person does something that might be off-putting, a more appropriate response is to provide guidance and to cultivate community.

vite, to answer your question properly, more information is needed.  For instance, one of the benefits of having a good trust history is being able to find a counterparty willing to sell bitcoins, even in larger purchase amounts, in exchange for PayPal.  If that is the goal then the best way is to start small and build from there.

There are other techniques also.  The barrier for gaining trust locally is much lower than the barrier for a pseudonymous party trying to find new customers online.  If there are any traders or merchants near you who accept bitcoin, try to meet in person and do a small trade.  "Have met in-person" is a strong endorsement.

In addition to #bitcoin-otc Web of Trust (WoT) and forum history, there are other reputation systems.  BitMit has seller ratings, for instance, similar to eBay and that rating might be helpful.  Heatware is a reputation service.  Ogrr.com, for instance, is a marketplace that takes another approach.  In addition to being able to see ratings history and friends the service lets you see the your counterparty's BTC balance so that you as seller can at least know they have the capacity to make the purchase.

Personally, even if the counterparty has a great forum history or heatware rating for instance, that really means little thanks to identity theft.  BitcoinTalk forum allows weak passwords, for instance, and many people use the same password with their forum account as they use elsewhere where security breaches are continually occurring (like Bitcoinica's incident earlier this month, or WHMCS's breach last week).  That's why the #bitcoin-otc WoT is so valuable.  It doesn't use username and password.   It uses GPG authentication to all but eliminate the risk of identity theft.

And that's why many who transact person-to-person for any considerable amount will want the counterparty to first have an -otc WoT trust history and to be authenticated before entering a transaction.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 12:36:53 AM

Basically, don't be a scammer. Follow your transactions through, make a few transactions, no matter how small. Be active in the community.

www.bitminter.com

!
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 05:32:16 AM

Just find something you can do for the community that you are interested in, then do it.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2012, 08:56:27 PM

You can probably pay a Chinese person to mine it for you.
ZodiacDragon84

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:04:51 AM

You can probably pay a Chinese person to mine it for you.
lolz

www.bitminter.com

!
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 04:26:13 PM

Read Othello
vite (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 04:52:13 AM

Are you stuck on the GPG part or the OTC part?

Video tutorial:
 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYJ-GdErX1c

- http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/GPG_authentication#Third-party_guides

Thank you very much, I was finally able to create and register the gpg. Guess thats a step forward in the learning curve.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 06:15:09 AM

Thank you very much, I was finally able to create and register the gpg. Guess thats a step forward in the learning curve.

Well, the hard part is out of the way now.   Welcome to the WoT!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

vite (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 07:53:40 PM

Well, the hard part is out of the way now.   Welcome to the WoT!

Thanks man, so If I put up an sell or buy order, how do I know someone is interested?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 08:52:14 PM

how do I know someone is interested?

If you are online on IRC, someone can message you with a PM.

If you aren't going to remain online put your contact details in your order.

e.g.
To sell a couple BTC for PayPal at the current market rate, you'ld do that like this (from #bitcoin-otc channel):

Code:
 ;;sell 2.0 BTC at "{mtgoxask}" USD "PayPal USD accepted.  PM me using my BitcoinTalk forum account: vite"

Or e-mail address, or Skype, however you prefer to be contacted.  The default is IRC PM, but if you don't stay online, about the only way to message someone is to have the gribble bot notify the user the next time they come online.  That's done like this:

From the #bitcoin-otc channel (or other channel where Gribble is present) the counterparty interested in selling to you does:
Code:
 ;;later tell vite Hey, I'm interested in order #1234 (2.0 BTC for PayPal USD).

Or from anywhere the counterparty can do:

Code:
 /msg gribble later tell vite Hey, I'm interested in order #1234 (2.0 BTC for PayPal USD).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

punningclan

Activity: 283

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 09:12:18 PM

Quickest way to increase your reputation:

1) Delete all of your posts.

2) PM all members that quoted you and pay them to delete that post.

3) Delete your forum account.

4) Never return.

That was about the rudest response I can imagine.

The OP has been a member of this forum since January.  If you viewed vite's post history, you'll see many posts in Spanish.  For bitcoin to become a global currency  it needs participation from those around the globe.   Oddly enough for some of us, the majority of the those around the globe don't speak English as their primarily language.

Specifically, what that means is that if someone uses a word in the wrong context or even if that person does something that might be off-putting, a more appropriate response is to provide guidance and to cultivate community.

vite, to answer your question properly, more information is needed.  For instance, one of the benefits of having a good trust history is being able to find a counterparty willing to sell bitcoins, even in larger purchase amounts, in exchange for PayPal.  If that is the goal then the best way is to start small and build from there.

There are other techniques also.  The barrier for gaining trust locally is much lower than the barrier for a pseudonymous party trying to find new customers online.  If there are any traders or merchants near you who accept bitcoin, try to meet in person and do a small trade.  "Have met in-person" is a strong endorsement.

In addition to #bitcoin-otc Web of Trust (WoT) and forum history, there are other reputation systems.  BitMit has seller ratings, for instance, similar to eBay and that rating might be helpful.  Heatware is a reputation service.  Ogrr.com, for instance, is a marketplace that takes another approach.  In addition to being able to see ratings history and friends the service lets you see the your counterparty's BTC balance so that you as seller can at least know they have the capacity to make the purchase.

Personally, even if the counterparty has a great forum history or heatware rating for instance, that really means little thanks to identity theft.  BitcoinTalk forum allows weak passwords, for instance, and many people use the same password with their forum account as they use elsewhere where security breaches are continually occurring (like Bitcoinica's incident earlier this month, or WHMCS's breach last week).  That's why the #bitcoin-otc WoT is so valuable.  It doesn't use username and password.   It uses GPG authentication to all but eliminate the risk of identity theft.

And that's why many who transact person-to-person for any considerable amount will want the counterparty to first have an -otc WoT trust history and to be authenticated before entering a transaction.

+1

So many many trolls. I wonder if they'll be remembered or quoted in the future as part of the Bitcoin legacy?

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: