Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:28:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with an FTP to hold documents on red light cameras.  (Read 1079 times)
Distribution (OP)

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 04:16:18 AM

I recently wrote a blog article on the local red light cameras by using the city's documents. I've found that many other groups and individuals around the country are doing this also. But to help people out, I'd like to have an FTP where people could upload their primary sources for everyone to use. I'm willing to pick up a domain, but I don't have money for hosting. I need some advice on where to go (I'm thinking iPage) for a site that I don't have to worry about filling up and offers multiple FTP accounts so everyone doesn't have access to the root. Or, if anyone has hosting or an FTP account they want to donate for this reason, that would be appreciated also. I figure this should be pretty simple, but if you're looking to help out, or have some advice on something I might be missing, let me know. Finally, if you think this is a good idea and just want access to raw data from municipalities on red light cameras (hopefully including video), the best way is to help it get started on funding. You can send a few coins to this address: 18J1QE6A2zeiHLM1ZDQespvaKBbPLBsQwv.

If your city has red light cameras, this could be a great way to gain access to those documents, and similar ones. If your city doesn't have them, and you have over 20k people, then the camera companies haven't got to you yet and this site could be valuable in dissuading your local government when the need arises. Obviously we don't need a huge amount to get started. But the more we get, the better, because then I could just purchase multiple years of hosting and not worry about it.

If you have any red light camera documents (or got ticketed and have some information you can post, like videos or whatever) let me know if you want to get those to me. Right now I'm uploading my stuff to davidshamblin.net/RedLight .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 04:43:17 AM

I live in a town of 30k, and we need cameras. there have been 22 traffic signal related accidents just this month. everyone just slows then goes

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 12:50:57 PM

I live in a town of 30k, and we need cameras. there have been 22 traffic signal related accidents just this month. everyone just slows then goes

That's crazy. You definitely need something. Why do people run it? Is the timing really long or something? Just be careful what you wish for. Since they put them up where I live, red light running accidents have increased (right angle accidents, the worst kind) . All of the official records from other cities I've seen has shown at best minimal (2-3%) drops in accidents, but over time the numbers start to revert back to what they were. All of the info I've seen on the extreme efficacy of these is usually put out by an interested party (camera companies or municipalities) . But your community definitely needs to curb that, just don't be like the farmers in the dust bowl falling for a fast talking salesman looking to suck money out of your community for some magic solution.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 01:09:40 PM

Need moar roundabouts.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2012, 01:26:13 PM

Need moar roundabouts.

Just reminded me of Chevy Chase in one of the Lampoon movies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 04:27:54 PM

Red light cameras as a "safety" device uses tenuous logic to justify their use. 

What RLCs do:
  • Take a picture of someone breaking the law
  • ...that's it

What RLC's DON'T do:
  • Check current registration/proof of insurance
  • Administer field sobriety test
  • Check for outstanding warrants
  • Check for illegal contraband
  • Check for stolen vehicles
  • ...and the list goes on

Much like the TSA screenings, it's security theater.

Mousepotato
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 06:04:47 PM

Actually, 2 of the cop cars around here have four cameras, one on each corner of the car. Their sole purpose is to collect license plate pictures, and run them through a database to see whether the car was marked stolen. There is no reason that red light cameras couldn't do this in addition to the useless function they don't properly perform now.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 06:10:09 PM

Actually, 2 of the cop cars around here have four cameras, one on each corner of the car. Their sole purpose is to collect license plate pictures, and run them through a database to see whether the car was marked stolen. There is no reason that red light cameras couldn't do this in addition to the useless function they don't properly perform now.

Ok, technically I guess it could perform a real-time check of whether the car is stolen or not or pull up info on the registered owner.  But none of that is really actionable as it would be within the context of a real face-to-face traffic stop  Smiley

Mousepotato
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 06:10:34 PM

Ok, technically I guess it could perform a real-time check of whether the car is stolen or not or pull up info on the registered owner.  But none of that is really actionable as it would be within the context of a real face-to-face traffic stop  Smiley
Add a machine gun. Pew pew pew!

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 12:30:33 AM

Its the cops around here. They see no problem. all a bunch of good ole boys in lil Columbus, NE. Google Platte county Nebraska, and Letterman show at the same time, and have some laughs.

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 01:16:15 AM

Red light cameras as a "safety" device uses tenuous logic to justify their use. 

What RLCs do:
  • Take a picture of someone breaking the law
  • ...that's it

What RLC's DON'T do:
  • Check current registration/proof of insurance
  • Administer field sobriety test
  • Check for outstanding warrants
  • Check for illegal contraband
  • Check for stolen vehicles
  • ...and the list goes on

Much like the TSA screenings, it's security theater.

You forgot to mention that they raise a bunch of money for the city and the private company who owns them.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 01:21:38 AM

You forgot to mention that they raise a bunch of money for the city and the private company who owns them.
If people pay the tickets, that is.

Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 01:39:43 AM

They definitely pay. So much so that the city here raised over 1300 dollars in a couple months just from online convenience fees.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 01:59:40 AM

They definitely pay. So much so that the city here raised over 1300 dollars in a couple months just from online convenience fees.
Perhaps so, I was just recalling some Cali installations that are being removed because the fines weren't being paid and were losing money.

Distribution (OP)

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 02:19:35 AM

Perhaps so, I was just recalling some Cali installations that are being removed because the fines weren't being paid and were losing money.

That's awesome. I wish that were the case here. It was funny, the other day there was a red light running accident and the headline was "Red Light Camera Settles Accident Dispute." Thank goodness we had cameras that were intended to settle accident disputes! Oh wait, it was supposed to prevent the accident in the first place. And it didn't, because a distracted driver just drove right through the intersection. I bet if they added more cameras around the city we wouldn't have a problem with drunk or distracted drivers blowing through red lights.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: