Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:08:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin-based TextRPG in the Works... Open Pre-Alpha!  (Read 1424 times)
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 06:36:12 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2012, 05:09:52 PM by Vorksholk

Hello Smiley Recently I started working on (less than 24 hours ago, actually...) a basic text-based RPG somehow incorporating LTC. I've had the idea for a while, and back weeks ago when I got into litecoins I think I mentioned it in an IRC to pooler, but it didn't really seem to go anywhere. At any rate, I decided to tune up my java skills a bit (they are still quite pathetic though :/) and try to make some kind of simple text-based RPG.

The client is currently an executable .jar file which should work automatically on most if not all systems. You can download it from http://www.litecoinfaucet.com/RPGClient.jar. Just double-click on the jar and wait a few seconds.

At the current moment, it's very simple, but here's what (seems to be) working:
---Account Creation from Client
---Account Login from Client
---MD5 password encryption
------SHA512+salt password encryption instead Smiley
---Shadow Caves monsters
---Basic combat
---Leveling
---XP Saving
---Admin panel (for admins when we get to that point...) Has the following currently:
------Leveling accounts
------Transferring Stats to new Username (Username change)
------Password change
---Account Options (Accessible to all users) Has the following currently:
------Changing Password
------Binding email (optional, but allows for account recovery, otherwise password lost = account lost... :/)
------Deposit/Withdraw LTC (coming soon!)

DeLorean and I talked on IRC about this a while last night, he brought up a really good point about databases. Currently I'm using my own database structure with making text files and reading from them, and he suggested I move over to mySQL. Currently we're still on the old .txt-based system, but pretty soon I suppose I'll figure out mySQL+Java, seems like it will be not-so-clunky. He also expressed interest in adding on to the project, which is totally awesome Cheesy (items, etc.) Thanks!!

Soon I'm going to add in some kind of quest feature to allow story-line-like quests. If anyone is interested in writing copy for this (basic storyline, etc.) that's awesome Smiley.

Please note: Any leveling you do right now will likely not carry over as we are still working on the xp algorithms, leveling system, balancing the game, combat, etc. This is more of a pre-alpha run of the software, not pulling in aspects of game theory, etc. (none of which I know...).

FAQ:

1.) How do I sign up, it says to enter a username?

Ahh yes, just start up the client, enter the username you want, and it will walk you through making an account straight inside of the client window.

2.) How will LTC work in the game?
I'm always open to suggestions for how they could be used here, but one idea is to use them as an internal economic system for players in addition to the normal in-game currency. LTC could be used for player trading, of items, etc. It would also be an efficient way for people to buy in-game currency from others. I don't know how the technical side of this is going to work, but I'll figure it out eventually. They may also in the future be used in things like PvP betting matches, etc. (way down the road when I can figure out how to do something like that...). I don't, at the moment, expect to charge LTC for anything like a recurring membership. Another far-fetched idea is to embed the game in a webpage, then on that webpage also have a web-based LTC miner, and have monsters randomly drop very small amounts of LTC supported by what players mine using the embedded miner.

3.) Is this Open Source?
As much as I love open source, this project is not likely going to be completely open source as that would open it up to people knowing all of the quest story lines, all of the, well, everything that is mysterious in a game that adds to the fun.

If you want to know how I did something such as the UI or the networking or the Databases, I may release sections of code that don't relate to the actual gameplay elements, if someone would like.

4.) What does it run on?
The game currently runs on a 0.98BTC/month VPS with a 2.4 GHz, 1 core processor, 256MB RAM, 10GB Disk Space, and 1TB/month of bandwidth. I don't know the exact bandwidth speed, but it seems to be anywhere from 50-100Mbps, suppose depending on what the other systems on the same machine (the other VPS's) at the moment are using. This game is fairly light on resources, so it seems to run fine, but we haven't had a stress-test with more than 2 players online at one time.

5.) Are there bugs?
Tons. For example, one very annoying one is that, in the client, when you are typing in a number choice for an option and for whatever reason what you type in isn't valid input (can't be cast to an int) the client will freeze, and closing it can be a bit of a pain. The source code to the client is included in the jar file, so you can look at that if you wish. If you find a bug in the client, please let me know, especially if you find an easy solution to this crashing problem. I'll probably resolve this in the next few days...

6.) Server doesn't seem to be working...?
The client should auto-connect to the right IP. If it doesn't seem to connect, likely I am changing something on the server. It should be back up soon.

7.) Will I lose everything I've done in-game when we update to a true alpha or beta?
More than likely yes as the leveling/xp earning/etc. algorithms are subject to change a lot, so it would be unfair to allow people to have levels from an easier system (or even a harder system) carry over. However, I may put the stats you earn in this addition of the game into a "legacy" leader board (once I get leader boards working... lol).

8.) I don't like this game. Where are the graphics?
Go play Runescape.

9.) Why does your code have so much clutter and so few comments?  
That turns out to be a really bad habit of mine (saving old code that doesn't work in comments, and not putting actual functioning comments in to tell you what is going on). Sorry.

10.) Mind if I make an improved client?
Go for it!

Please bang on it and let me know what goes wrong.

BTW, do you guys think this is a good idea, or am I wasting my time?

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 07:17:06 PM

I haven't played a text based game in 20+ years, and I don't intend to start again. Sorry

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 08:32:36 PM

This is a wonderful idea, but it's going to be seriously long and hard work. If you look at the work that went into elephant mud or avalon it's literally man-years. Right now there are 29 people playing avalon-rpg.com including gods even though anyone with an Internet connection could connect and despite the massive amount of work that went into it.

I don't mean to put you off because I really like the idea but text muds are pretty much a thing of a different age. Everyone has a short attention span and a surplus of distractions now.

Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2012, 09:43:33 PM

but text muds are pretty much a thing of a different age. Everyone has a short attention span and a surplus of distractions now.

Yeah, figured they are a thing of the past :/

Yeah, I'm sure this thing is going to take tons of time, didn't know that much, but ahh well, probably not going to make it as advanced as those ones you mentioned lol.

str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 30, 2012, 10:46:51 PM

I think something like http://browserquest.mozilla.org/ would be much much cooler!
Cosbycoin

Activity: 980
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 12:55:33 AM

waste of time...if there is no entertainment value for most...it will fail to be adopted and used.
UD98

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 05:39:07 PM

how do i get it to work

i did

Code:
java -jar RPGClient.jar

i got back

Code:
Couldn't get I/O for the connection to: 199.26.85.34.
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 08:09:18 PM

Just rebooted server UD98, should work now Smiley

Greedi

Activity: 266
Merit: 250