Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:22:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Rant] Black Holes/ Absolute minimum information all exchanges should provide.  (Read 1514 times)
fgmnp (OP)
Donator

Activity: 29
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 10:55:24 PM
Last edit: July 13, 2019, 07:09:38 AM by deego

d

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shtylman

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 11:50:45 PM

Hopefully you find that Bitfloor provides you with a detailed enough statement? We never want to hide your information from you and hope our users take time to review their transactions to see that they are indeed correct!
Mt.Gox Support
VIP

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 01:20:15 AM

There is more to come on Mt.Gox and remember that we initiated the "Transparency" program, something that no other exchange had ever come public with. Now granted that we are WAY behind for our second edition... I am trying to get the information pulled out our DB for that, but our dev are so busy on other stuff that they always postpone my request.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions : https://mtgox.com/merchant
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 06:59:31 PM

Your title is misleading.
What you're complaining about is that some exchanges present their data in a way you don't like, but not that there is actually information that's missing.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 08:23:17 PM

I was talking about data that is *provided* ("provide incomplete information") so the account-holders can verify things, not whether that data is internally present.
The way the data is stored internally is irrelevant.

The information that is provided to you with or without a "final balance" attribute is the exact same. If an exchange adds a column giving you, for each transaction, the square root of the transacted amount it doesn't convey any additional information. The same information is just presented in a different way.

You want exchanges to save you the trouble of firing up Excel to get this final balance, not provide you with more information.
This is why your title is misleading.

shtylman

Activity: 243

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 08:29:58 PM

I was talking about data that is *provided* ("provide incomplete information") so the account-holders can verify things, not whether that data is internally present.
The way the data is stored internally is irrelevant.

The information that is provided to you with or without a "final balance" attribute is the exact same. If an exchange adds a column giving you, for each transaction, the square root of the transacted amount it doesn't convey any additional information. The same information is just presented in a different way.

You want exchanges to save you the trouble of firing up Excel to get this final balance, not provide you with more information.
This is why your title is misleading.

He is saying some exchanges do not even give you the ability to do this. They don't provide transaction histories in downloadable formats nor do they consolidate them so you can figure out what actually went into your current balance or locate errors as the OP points out.

Not knowing how a transaction affected your balance makes it harder to track down potential problems and reconcile the account. There is a reason accounting systems provide the balance information with transactions.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 09:20:03 PM

I won't argue with you, the idea of having a final balance along each transaction is not a bad idea in itself. It just doesn't add anything when it's done the right way and calculated from the strict minimum stored data (namely the amount). It is (or should be) calculated data.

If an exchange does not provide you with your full transaction history, that is incomplete information. So, without arguing on the usefulness or desirability of a "final balance" displayed amount, I maintain that your title is misleading.

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 08:55:04 AM

, I maintain that your title is misleading.
Not sure I agree, but I changed it. Smiley
Haha, you managed to leave the part I'm raging about. I shall not rage about it anymore.

Additionnally I'll add this information calculated field on Bitcoin Central's transactions display since it sounds like a good idea that can't really hurt.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 06:22:06 AM

It certainly is a paradox.

Hey, someone had to! Right? Right?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
freewil

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 06:28:39 AM

Update: The new exchange bitme.com seems to be very well-designed. It also shows a running balance in your transactions. Added to OP edit.

Thanks for the feedback!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: