Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:31:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Legalize Bitcoins Petition?  (Read 3033 times)
PwrLeveld (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

Computta Mine Your Own BTC

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 03:59:51 AM

I was just wondering, if anyone would like to start a petition to legalize bitcoins. It would obviously mean very little, but I geuss it could just propose the legalization of bitcoins just for some fun. It would be intresting to see how many people would sign it.
So, your thought?

Dear GOD/GODS and/or MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS: Please let CHAUL JHIN KIM win the NEW ZEALAND POWERBALL JACKPOT. He will use the money to set up his own RESEARCH LAB and find the CURES for CANCER and AGING! He will release the CURES into the PUBLIC DOMAIN! (a la Jonas Salk) EVERYONE regardless of wealth will no longer need to SUFFER! CHILDHOOD CANCER will also be HISTORY! Thank you! - A Faithful Believer. P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray with me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 04:02:04 AM

Come on. They aren't even hassling us yet and you're ready to start begging them to stop?

Even from a good slave perspective it makes no sense. Everything is legal that is not prohibited, even officially we don't live in a permission-to-live society.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 04:03:57 AM

Are you preemptively organizing this petition, for when Bitcoins are outlawed, just for fun?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 04:37:56 AM

No-one said they were illegal ... although I think you've just taken the opportunity to put up a scaremongering headline in the main discussion for noobs to run smack slam into with their first bitcoin encouter ... fail.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 04:47:14 AM

No-one said they were illegal ... although I think you've just taken the opportunity to put up a scaremongering headline in the main discussion for noobs to run smack slam into with their first bitcoin encouter ... fail.

Yeah, if this wasn't your intention you can change the headline. I don't know exactly what you're suggesting people do though. No one can make anything legal, they can only stop hurting people for doing things. And no one is hurting anyone yet, so they can't really stop.

Vasili Sviridov

Activity: 102

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 07:25:44 AM

If US decides to outlaw bitcoin - let them. They are willingly preventing themselves from using a best monetary instrument out there, and once the rest of the world will make bitcoin stronger - they'll have to be buying bitcoins the on black market at outrageous prices Smiley Talk about shooting oneself in the proverbial foot.

1JHYtsmsGq2McwGHmWayVjVtHds8rp1R5
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:06:16 AM

If US decides to outlaw bitcoin - let them. They are willingly preventing themselves from using a best monetary instrument out there, and once the rest of the world will make bitcoin stronger - they'll have to be buying bitcoins the on black market at outrageous prices Smiley Talk about shooting oneself in the proverbial foot.

I don't think there is a single prohibition in the history of mankind that was successfully enforced.

Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:45:16 AM

If you want Bitcoins to go mainstream I don't think it's a very good idea to give people the impression that it's illegal...
bittersweet

Activity: 222

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:48:27 AM

Since when Bitcoin is illegal? I'm just taking part in worldwide hashing project Cheesy

As Grinder said, asking for legalization is making a statement that it's illegal now. Very Bad Idea.

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
fetokun

Activity: 210

Presale is live!

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 08:54:01 AM

Yeah dude!
Legalize it!

I just grow natural bitcoins at home, who am I harming?

Just because I trade my homegrown coins, the police break into my house and... oh wait. They don't! Nevermind  Grin

Zerbie

Activity: 72

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 07:22:31 PM

It's not a question of legalizing BitCoins as, it is not yet illegal.

Actually, we should preempt any future laws by starting a constitutional amendment forbidding congress from passing any laws prohibiting the use of alternative currencies.
teknohog

Activity: 518
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2011, 09:36:20 PM

Yeah dude!
Legalize it!

I just grow natural bitcoins at home, who am I harming?

It does involve a lot of hash, so it must be illegal...

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
Shortline

Activity: 123

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 10:08:40 PM

How is it that discussion about a worldwide digital hard currency revolves exclusively around the good old United States of America?

How come nobody ever discusses the prospect of heavy-duty legislation against bitcoin or similar currencies in China, Iran or North Korea? Those strike me as a lot more interesting scenarios, especially given their capabilities to censor and surveil the internet. Americans have been spied on but the government has never publicly shown the ability to get something like the Great Firewall going or track Tor users.
rezin777

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 11:34:58 PM

How is it that discussion about a worldwide digital hard currency revolves exclusively around the good old United States of America?

It isn't obvious? The U.S.A. has the biggest guns.
PwrLeveld (OP)

Computta Mine Your Own BTC

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 11:38:40 PM

Sorry, I should have been mor specific. What I meant is more of a petition encouraging laws protecting electronic currencies.

Dear GOD/GODS and/or MEMBERS OF SUPER-INTELLIGENT ALIEN CIVILIZATIONS: Please let CHAUL JHIN KIM win the NEW ZEALAND POWERBALL JACKPOT. He will use the money to set up his own RESEARCH LAB and find the CURES for CANCER and AGING! He will release the CURES into the PUBLIC DOMAIN! (a la Jonas Salk) EVERYONE regardless of wealth will no longer need to SUFFER! CHILDHOOD CANCER will also be HISTORY! Thank you! - A Faithful Believer. P.S. If anyone is reading this then please pray with me!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 12:42:10 AM

Sorry, I should have been mor specific. What I meant is more of a petition encouraging laws protecting electronic currencies.

Watch out for what you wish for. Laws are nothing but promises of violence.

MacFall

Activity: 84

Agorist

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 01:12:04 AM

^This.

Also, I think bitcoin is quite useful as a tool to advance the counter-economy (which requires that it remain in the grey market).

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
Rage

Activity: 124

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 02:49:08 AM

I was just wondering, if anyone would like to start a petition to legalize bitcoins. It would obviously mean very little, but I geuss it could just propose the legalization of bitcoins just for some fun. It would be intresting to see how many people would sign it.
So, your thought?

Why even bother? In most major western economies, and especially in the US, the monetary system is controlled by a central bank. In the United States, that central bank has sole control over the money and liberally prints up fiat (useless) currency that they control and manipulate. There's no way they're going to support another, competing, currency that they can't control.

The petition would be meaningless. But it's also unneeded. You can trade in any currency you want and, at least in the USA, it's not illegal. If we all decided that we would use monopoly money as currency we're allowed to do that. It just wouldn't be 'official tender' and couldn't be used to pay taxes.

I wouldn't waste my time with a petition. It's dead before it even gets started. No way the bankers would allow it.

Rage

Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:17:09 AM

never let 'em see you sweat...
mjsbuddha

Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 04:20:10 AM

PLEASE STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD SO IT FALLS OFF THE FRONT PAGE!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: