Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:25:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea: Tip Jars for Dead People  (Read 897 times)
frisco2 (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 265

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 06:38:28 AM

I had this idea just now, to create tip jars for historical people, for example Nicola Tesla.  The money will be used to spread awareness to the general public about their accomplishments.  Many people, for example, know who was Edison, but don't know who was Tesla!  Here's the first tip jar in this series:

https://propster.me/tipjar/0c7s4c4

It is kind of similar to what Google does with them changing their logo to commemorate famous people. If we can collect some money, we can do something through regular ads, and/or be creative.

Who's your favourite historical figure?

This could also be generally used to raise awareness about historical events.  For example, Dan Carlin talks about devastating fire raids throughout of WW2 (his podcast on Hiroshima). I didn't know that. Or, he talks about 300,000 Barbarians (Tutons) attacking Rome during the reign of Marius.  Rome surprisingly won, and the great Tuton army suicide itself, up to 100,000 people, with their women and children (who followed them in the military conquests).  The women actually killed their own men, because they were loosing in the battle.  But, I am getting off topic... Smiley

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 12:54:11 PM

Interesting idea, but who controls the Tip jar? It's kinda of like saying, "If you like Ghengis Khan, toss me a btc". :-)

more or less retired.
frisco2 (OP)

Activity: 312
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 05:03:35 PM

Well, the comments section is for all the people to submit ideas. The admin (me) of the site is gonna deliver the money to the most reasonable suggestion. For example, in the worst case, it can go to Wikipedia article writers about those people. It really depends on the amount collected. Also, there will be a an additional feature on the tipjar, the ability to put a condition, and if the condition is not met, money is refunded back to the original contributors.  So I will be add a feature to refund money to those who will be unhappy with how it is gonna be used. At the moment, since the balances are small, we can use comments and feedback, and I if someone is unhappy I will refund manually.

Crosspass -- a simple way to send passwords, encryption keys, bitcoin addresses, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: