Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:01:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit Coin HD5870 Help!  (Read 2150 times)
KillerGasy (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 08:38:00 PM

Hey Guys,

I am just getting into BitCoin mining and wanted some help with my set up!

I decided to join mining due to the fact that I have a cheap electricity rate and I already have 8 Webservers on 24/7 so I would add some cards to that!

I have 8 HD5870's at the moment,

Could some one give me some advice on how to get the best MHash Rate because atm I am not getting anywhere near the value on the comparison sheets!

I am part of the Eclipise pool after testing with a couple, I was part of Deepbit but I didn't seem to me making my projected income.

Also if anyway is feeling kind: 1Hsf21CDw5e3kBYDUFz5PoMBRQ75cbEcQZ

Anyway thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 08:53:43 PM

Try testing your speed here:
https://bitminter.com/test

Requires only java webstart. If that looks normal, you can mine on that pool with that same miner.
If speeds are still too low, we need more info.

KillerGasy (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:02:27 PM

Try testing your speed here:
https://bitminter.com/test

Requires only java webstart. If that looks normal, you can mine on that pool with that same miner.
If speeds are still too low, we need more info.

Thanks for that, I just read some other forums posts about the command line prompts you can use with GUI Miner for dedicated mining, and it seems to have done the trick. Just need to mess about with the Clock speeds to get a reasonable temperate!
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:06:16 PM

Hey Guys,

I decided to join mining due to the fact that I have a cheap electricity rate and I already have 8 Webservers on 24/7 so I would add some cards to that!

Could some one give me some advice on how to get the best MHash Rate because atm I am not getting anywhere near the value on the comparison sheets!

I am part of the Eclipise pool after testing with a couple, I was part of Deepbit but I didn't seem to me making my projected income.

Anyway thanks!

Drop your voltage and mem clocks as low as you can while keeping the card stable.  This will drop the temps and power consumption significantly.  With CG miner, my 5870 is pulling 456 m/hash at 990 core and 170 mem with voltage at 1.13 at a cool 60C (much cooler in the winter).

Edit:  I want to say I'm using Catalyst 11.6 drivers, Stream SDK 2.4.
KillerGasy (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:13:27 PM

Hey Guys,

Anyway thanks!

Drop your voltage and mem clocks as low as you can while keeping the card stable.  This will drop the temps and power consumption significantly.  With CG miner, my 5870 is pulling 456 m/hash at 990 core and 170 mem with voltage at 1.13 at a cool 60C (much cooler in the winter).

Wow, 456 O.o

Could you explain what Steam SDK 2.4 is ?

I am trying to do it with MSI Afterburner but it is not letting me drop my memory clock anywhere near that low!
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:16:49 PM

Hey Guys,

Anyway thanks!

Wow, 456 O.o

Could you explain what Steam SDK 2.4 is ?

I am trying to do it with MSI Afterburner but it is not letting me drop my memory clock anywhere near that low!

As far as the SDK goes, just type in "ATI stream SDK 2.4" in Google and you should be able to find a download link.  For some reason I think later versions decrease the hashing power.

How low is MSI Afterburner letting you set the mem clocks??  One sec, let me try to find an old thread that tells you how to adjust your mem clocks lower.  I think you might need to make a couple simple changes to modify one of the config files.  I'll be back...

KillerGasy (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:21:43 PM

Thanks, atm 600hz!
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:29:53 PM

Thanks, atm 600hz!

Ok, so, it seems I actually had to do this for my 3X6970 rig instead of my 5870.  My 5870 had no issues dropping to 170 mem using CG miner.  However, my 6970s aren't reference cards and initially it wouldn't let me drop my mem clocks more than -125 below my core clocks.  Using the following method, I was able to get my mem clocks down to 685.  Maybe this will let you drop your mem clocks below that for your 5870.

Make sure you have the latest MSI Afterburner Beta, then search for the msiafterburner.cfg file.  

I right clicked the .cfg file, went to properties --> open with notepad --> adjusted "unofficialoverclockingmode =   2"  (was previously zero) -->  save (I have 'hide file extensions' unchecked)  and then opened MSI Afterburner.

So, essentially you're changing "unofficialoverclockingmode = 0"  to "unofficialoverclockingmode = 2"  and then saving it.  Then, reopen MSI Afterburner and see if you can drop your mem clocks any lower.

If you can't, I'd still recommend using CGminer to make sure.  With GUIminer, my 5870 was running at about 400 m/hash even with massive overclocking.  CGminer gives me a better hashrate than GUIminer all else being equal.  There's no way I'd be running at 456 m/hash with GUIminer.

Edit:  Actually, I'd probably try CG miner first before the MSI Afterburner trick.  You can change your clocks, fan speeds, and voltages all through CGminer and it gives a better hashrate than GUIminer for the 5870 anyway.
KillerGasy (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2012, 09:52:22 PM

Thanks, atm 600hz!

Ok, so, it seems I actually had to do this for my 3X6970 rig instead of my 5870.  My 5870 had no issues dropping to 170 mem using CG miner.  However, my 6970s aren't reference cards and initially it wouldn't let me drop my mem clocks more than -125 below my core clocks.  Using the following method, I was able to get my mem clocks down to 685.  Maybe this will let you drop your mem clocks below that for your 5870.

Make sure you have the latest MSI Afterburner Beta, then search for the msiafterburner.cfg file.  

I right clicked the .cfg file, went to properties --> open with notepad --> adjusted "unofficialoverclockingmode =   2"  (was previously zero) -->  save (I have 'hide file extensions' unchecked)  and then opened MSI Afterburner.

So, essentially you're changing "unofficialoverclockingmode = 0"  to "unofficialoverclockingmode = 2"  and then saving it.  Then, reopen MSI Afterburner and see if you can drop your mem clocks any lower.

If you can't, I'd still recommend using CGminer to make sure.  With GUIminer, my 5870 was running at about 400 m/hash even with massive overclocking.  CGminer gives me a better hashrate than GUIminer all else being equal.  There's no way I'd be running at 456 m/hash with GUIminer.

Edit:  Actually, I'd probably try CG miner first before the MSI Afterburner trick.  You can change your clocks, fan speeds, and voltages all through CGminer and it gives a better hashrate than GUIminer for the 5870 anyway.

I'm currently at home at the moment, when I go in tomorrow I'll try it and I'll tell you how it goes! Thanks!
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 12:42:12 AM

Thanks, atm 600hz!

I'm currently at home at the moment, when I go in tomorrow I'll try it and I'll tell you how it goes! Thanks!

No problem.  Good luck!
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 01:04:20 AM

Thanks, atm 600hz!
don't you mean mhz?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
KillerGasy (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 10:56:05 AM

Thanks, atm 600hz!
don't you mean mhz?

Yep xD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: