Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:30:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] Exotic woods from around the world with Bitcoin  (Read 12569 times)
Saigonsmokes

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 04:06:44 AM

Hi

I am in Vietnam, have a friend who owns a wood work factory - what wood do you want from Vietnam, quanities etc

Thanks

Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BombCoin

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 01:13:25 PM

Are you interested in any irish bog oak? i have seen people make some nice things with it.  i have a big piece about 3 feet tall ??
WoodCollector (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:37:32 PM

Are you interested in any irish bog oak? i have seen people make some nice things with it.  i have a big piece about 3 feet tall ??

Hell yes !!!, is it a board, log, live edge? can you send me a picture?

ROFLMFAO - The bullshit faggot dictators (A.K.A The Mods) banned this account. May you all rot in cryptocurrency hell.
BombCoin

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:40:00 PM

its a big log and is very heavy i think shipping would be dear but i will upload pics very soon and you can see and we can talk then Smiley

WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 02:44:32 PM

its a big log and is very heavy i think shipping would be dear but i will upload pics very soon and you can see and we can talk then Smiley

Sounds great, if it is a good log i can have it freighted, if you live in Ireland i have a friend who can meet you at the ulysses car ferry with a truck and he will add it to a shipment he is sending me. 

ROFLMFAO - The bullshit faggot dictators (A.K.A The Mods) banned this account. May you all rot in cryptocurrency hell.
BombCoin

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 03:08:15 PM

Heres some pics , there off my mobile not the best quality  Undecided

its roughly 4-5 feet tall.

BombCoin

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 03:12:34 PM

WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2014, 03:34:52 PM

Beautiful, Not as wide as i would have expected though, but still usable. Small enough it should be able to be sent via DHL or FedEx at least. Could you get a shipping quote from your local service? How much do you want for the log? i'll message you my details so you can get a quote.

WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:55:47 AM

Thanks to all who got me wood last week, most of it has arrived already  Smiley !!!!!!!

I am back buying again and am especially interested in wood from Africa, Central or South America, or Hawaii this week as my stock levels are getting very low.

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 06:37:42 AM

I am very excited for the piece that I have being created. At first it was going to be a nice and simple BTC, but now...something really special. I cannot wait to see it completed and post some pics! This should be an AMAZING piece of art...be prepared to be amazed!
Saigonsmokes

Activity: 334

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 09:20:43 AM

Thanks to all who got me wood last week, most of it has arrived already  Smiley !!!!!!!

I am back buying again and am especially interested in wood from Africa, Central or South America, or Hawaii this week as my stock levels are getting very low.

Anything from Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Burma?
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 12:26:33 PM

What do you have access to? Its impossible to say without knowing what you can get. There is not much in the way of exotic wood in Vietnam, but Thailand, Cambodia and Burma have a ton of species of exotic trees some quite valuable if you have the permit to cut them. If you can get me a list of things you can get either yourself or through your friends shop i can tell you what i would like to buy.

I am very excited for the piece that I have being created. At first it was going to be a nice and simple BTC, but now...something really special. I cannot wait to see it completed and post some pics! This should be an AMAZING piece of art...be prepared to be amazed!

I think i may be more excited than you are at the moment, Its not every day that i get to cut into a chunk of one of the rarest pieces of wood on the planet and i am even more excited that it is getting turned into Bitcoin art. This will for sure go down in history as one of the most expensive pieces of Bitcoin art ever created and it couldn't belong to a better person than you. I cant wait for the day to see a picture of it on display in your house and maybe years down the road in a Bitcoin Museum.

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 12:54:53 PM

What do you have access to? Its impossible to say without knowing what you can get. There is not much in the way of exotic wood in Vietnam, but Thailand, Cambodia and Burma have a ton of species of exotic trees some quite valuable if you have the permit to cut them. If you can get me a list of things you can get either yourself or through your friends shop i can tell you what i would like to buy.

I think i may be more excited than you are at the moment, Its not every day that i get to cut into a chunk of one of the rarest pieces of wood on the planet and i am even more excited that it is getting turned into Bitcoin art. This will for sure go down in history as one of the most expensive pieces of Bitcoin art ever created and it couldn't belong to a better person than you. I cant wait for the day to see a picture of it on display in your house and maybe years down the road in a Bitcoin Museum.

I just wish I had the impulse control to not go way way over my "oh lets keep it to around 1BTC budget"  Tongue I can not wait...like I said no more details until it is done!!
Sir Lagsalot

Activity: 323

The lion roars!

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 01:30:46 PM

Interesting proposal, WoodCollector!

Like Miffman, I'm in South Africa but the northern part. I'll see what wood I can get and let you know.

They're not on your list of exotic woods, but would you be interested in Imbuia or Jacaranda? We have these Brazilian species here.

WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 04:15:49 PM

Interesting proposal, WoodCollector!

Like Miffman, I'm in South Africa but the northern part. I'll see what wood I can get and let you know.

They're not on your list of exotic woods, but would you be interested in Imbuia or Jacaranda? We have these Brazilian species here.

That would be awesome, i have worked with the Rose Jacaranda before, Imbuia would be nice too if you could find some figured pieces.

Just Magicmann

Activity: 377

https://keybase.io/magicmann

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2014, 04:24:32 PM

I'd be interested in commissioning your services in the near future for a few smaller jobs. If you're willing, please send me some image samples of your work.  Smiley

Don't deal with me until I verify with Keybase.io.
WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 04:52:30 PM

I'd be interested in commissioning your services in the near future for a few smaller jobs. If you're willing, please send me some image samples of your work.  Smiley

There will be a few examples on BTCtalk soon as a few people have commissioned work from me including a $14,000 amazing art piece for Blazedout419. If you want something sooner send me a message with your e-mail address and i can get you some pictures.

Just so you are aware, i ONLY work in exotic wood, and "smaller jobs" for me is usually $500 - $1000, although i have done a few $150 pieces that required little time or effort and were made out of the lower end of exotic woods. My typical commission is between $1,000 and $250,000, and i have just been commissioned by a dozen guys on this forum to make them BTC wall art and one of them an exotic wooden bong with a bitcoin theme so i am now booking out two months from now for work.

Just Magicmann

Activity: 377

https://keybase.io/magicmann

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2014, 04:59:26 PM

There will be a few examples on BTCtalk soon as a few people have commissioned work from me including a $14,000 amazing art piece for Blazedout419. If you want something sooner send me a message with your e-mail address and i can get you some pictures.

Just so you are aware, i ONLY work in exotic wood, and "smaller jobs" for me is usually $500 - $1000, although i have done a few $150 pieces that required little time or effort and were made out of the lower end of exotic woods. My typical commission is between $1,000 and $250,000, and i have just been commissioned by a dozen guys on this forum to make them BTC wall art and one of them an exotic wooden bong with a bitcoin theme so i am now booking out two months from now for work.

Oh my. Well then I guess that leaves me no longer needing examples. I'm just a poor boy from a poor family.

(Not literally poor. Just wanted to use that reference. Tongue)

Don't deal with me until I verify with Keybase.io.
Sir Lagsalot

Activity: 323

The lion roars!

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 05:11:09 PM

That would be awesome, i have worked with the Rose Jacaranda before, Imbuia would be nice too if you could find some figured pieces.

Great, I'll see what's available locally. My city, Pretoria, is famous for its Jacarandas although I believe they're considered an invasive species. I'll see what can be had!

In my search for more exotic types, I got in touch with Fungayi, a woodcarver in Zimbabwe. I've worked with him previously and displayed some of his handiwork in this thread.

Fungayi recommends and works mostly in Mahogany, Ironwood (not sure of specific tree) and Kiaat (Pterocarpus angolensis) and can get these woods in quantity if you want them.

As for the varieties on the Griffin Exotic Wood page; he can get Tambootie pretty easily. Mopane he can get but must travel further for it. Olivewood he thinks he can get but will have to check. Pink Ivory he doesn't know at all but may be able to find it if he makes enquiries.

Please let me know which types are of most interest to you and in what quantity - I'd suggest a smallish quantity to start. If you make an offer in USD that will also help me greatly in my negotiations with Fungayi. He wants partial payment upfront for transport, labour and equipment - I'll happily cover these costs once the Bitcoin are in escrow. I don't forsee any major logistical problems as Fungayi has been transporting carvings from Zim to sell at the Union Buildings in Pretoria for many years.

WoodCollector (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 08:22:45 PM

Lets get a list together of what you for sure have access to and we can work on pricing and getting an order in. Its hard to just give a price as different figure and grain determines price a lot so to just give a price would have to be the lowest possible price for the lowest grade of that spices.

Usually for people to have a regular supply i have them milled down to either 4"x4" by 14" pieces of stock or 8"X8" by 24" pieces of stock, as they are easier and more cost effective to ship larger quantities. That requires either someone with a large band saw, or their own saw mill. Also for larger orders the wood must be air dried out of the sunlight for 2-3 weeks prior to shipping as the water weight alone on even a small order can add $400 to the shipping cost.

As for pink ivory, you will not find any. Firstly its protected as it is on the top 4 list of most expensive and rarest woods on the planet, secondly it requires a few thousand dollars in permits to harvest legally. This i know as i just ordered an $8,000 piece of Watermelon Ivory ( an even more rare form of pink ivory) from south west Africa and the paperwork required to get it through customs was INSANE. Its not illegal to posses, you can get permits to harvest it for a pretty price tag, but it is very illegal to ship without paying about 4 different duties, 3 different taxes, half a dozen permits, and you have to provide a 1" square sample of the wood being shipped as customs requires it to be lab tested to verify its origin, age, legality.

I have more Mahogany than i could ever use as it is not ultra rare, unless you can get Indian Mahogany, I use some Ironwood, but only the darkest and closest to black as i can get. I do use Kiaata a bit mainly in turned wood projects. Only the reddish spices of it though, the blonde and yellow variants are as common as northern pine in America. Here is a bowl made from Jacaranda, Mahogany, and Kiaata. The bowl on top is the Type of Kiaata i would be interested in. The darker the better, This piece is made from a prime example of the type of Kiaata i would purchase.

Work on getting me a total list of what you can get. Let me know if you have someone who can mill it down to the lengths listed above, and then we will work on getting some prices together. If you can get high quality well figured cuts i would be willing to purchase $5k to $50k of product once i figure out the most cost effective shipping options.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: