Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:09:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PoS is far inferior to PoW - why are so many people advocating switching to PoS  (Read 12823 times)
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 08:16:04 PM

If Bitcoin remains PoW, they can still buy that vast majority of coins, but everybody will have a trump card.

You know perfectly well, that the overwhelming majority of people will never mine any bitcoins and will never be able to compete with professional miners, just like majority of people don't compete with professional miners of natural resources. What matters for the majority of people is unique use cases. How the crypto currency came into existence doesn't matter for them if they have to buy it anyway, as long as it's a decentralized blockchain, distributed consensus and secure network - that's all that matters.

The overwhelming majority might never feel the need to mine, but knowing that they can if they want to without permission, makes all the difference between PoW and PoS.

There is no difference, who would prohibit them from forging in NXT PoS and get a profit from fees? Do they somehow get mining equipment for free to mine Bitcoin? I'd like to get me a few free ASICs then, oh and free electricity too Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 08:23:37 PM

There is no difference, who would prohibit them from forging in NXT PoS and get a profit from fees? Do they somehow get mining equipment for free to mine Bitcoin? I'd like to get me a few free ASICs then, oh and free electricity too Wink

Unless I am mis-understanding, anybody with at least 50% stake can do that.

With PoW mining, a 51% attacker can not force you to stop mining (short of seizing or bombing your equipment).

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 08:41:46 PM

With PoW mining, a 51% attacker can not force you to stop mining (short of seizing or bombing your equipment).

Please explain.

Why do you have status "Sold 50% due to mining concentration." then below your username?
phillipsjk
Legendary

Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2014, 09:32:28 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2014, 10:36:58 PM by phillipsjk

Please explain.

This feels like a trap question. Transparent Forging is not implemented yet. For the sake of argument I decided to look at the link explaining how it works. It turns out that Come-from-Beyond is actually on my ignore list (due to general nonsense posts rather than sig advertising). The paper he cites is from 2011, and describes PoS, not "transparent forging" (and then does not go into detail). Here is CFB's description of the process:
And the most important feature:
The network can detect which miners don't take part in block generation and act accordingly.

The last point deserves to be described with more details.

Imagine someone is going to do a "51%" attack against Nxt and he owns 90% of all coins. The adversary must stop generating blocks for legit branch coz he won't be able to compete against 100% mining power with his 90%. So he decides to "skip" his turn to generate a block. The rest 10% of the network detects this and penalizes the adversary by setting his mining power to 0 and distributing it among other miners. Now the network is back to 100% power coz everyone got 10-fold increase. The adversary can mine other branch in a secret place but it won't be able to replace the legit branch. Of course, the 2nd branch will have 100% "hashing" power tied to it as well, coz the attacker will get his 90% bumped to 100% but this can be counteracted by some mechanisms of advanced consensus (still not revealed).

I fail to understand why an attacker has to choose which chain to participate in. CFB never explains this. If I had 50% stake, I can say "la,la,la I can't hear you!" and pretend all other participants are offline.

Why do you have status "Sold 50% due to mining concentration." then below your username?

Because Ghash.io did not understand that they were becoming a central point of failure. Under coercion they (with the majority of the hash-power) would be able to:
  • prohibit unknown (with no ownership information) keys from spending BItcoin
  • ignore blocks from other miners.

While other miners can counteract this by buying hash-power, it takes time. Some have argued that a lot of pooled hash-power can actually switch loyalties relatively quickly. However, it is not clear how much hash-power Ghash.io has in-house.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
cryptogeeknext

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Bitcoin trolls back

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 09:49:41 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2014, 10:55:07 PM by cryptogeeknext

If Bitcoin remains PoW, they can still buy that vast majority of coins, but everybody will have a trump card.

You know perfectly well, that the overwhelming majority of people will never mine any bitcoins and will never be able to compete with professional miners, just like majority of people don't compete with professional miners of natural resources. What matters for the majority of people is unique use cases. How the crypto currency came into existence doesn't matter for them if they have to buy it anyway, as long as it's a decentralized blockchain, distributed consensus and secure network - that's all that matters.

The overwhelming majority might never feel the need to mine, but knowing that they can if they want to without permission, makes all the difference between PoW and PoS.

This is how I would conquer the world with Nxt, you might wanna take notes Wink
I would identify major stakeholders and find the way to contact them.
I would establish a secret inner circle of stakeholders, which cumulatively maintain the majority vote.
I would make sure that public doesn't get spooked about the action by keeping a percentage of stake available for free trading on the exchanges to create an illusion of choice.
Now, because technological breakthrough and innovation cannot challenge the possession of stake within the circle to maintain control over transactions, I can now consider the first phase of my plan as stable and concentrate on the rest.

Not getting newer ASICs for free is exactly the point of PoW, because somebody someplace might be developing on-chip photonics that will make existing hardware obsolete. This happened with CPUs, happened with GPUs, will happen with ASICs. Keeping all the innovation within the established inner circle of control is so much harder, because you might never know what a nerdy prodigy kid is working on in his mom's basement.

there is an element of everything in every thing
sadface

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:16:54 PM

lol that is the perfect plan.
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:33:41 PM

PoS is better.

Why?  Because money, greed and power take the path of least resistance.
PoS is easiest to obtain and generate, with little additional cost (ie. electricity to do staking)

onemorebtc

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 11:56:57 PM

PoS is better.

Why?  Because money, greed and power take the path of least resistance.
PoS is easiest to obtain and generate, with little additional cost (ie. electricity to do staking)

yep, thats the reason why gold-rich people store their gold in their cellar because its cheeper than putting it in a safe with guards

</sarcasm>

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 12:11:25 AM

... Because PoS is a POS. Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

cryptogeeknext

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Bitcoin trolls back

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 12:18:33 AM
Last edit: November 19, 2014, 10:17:18 AM by cryptogeeknext

lol that is the perfect plan.

I knew I was right on the money with Nxt, actaully created my account after learning about it.

EDIT:

A small remark.
With major Nxt promoters' names starting with Evil(Dave), Dark(horseofnxt) and eventually Sad(face) you are making our otherwise secret plan a little too obvious, we need more diversity in PR, devphp is doing good though, definitely a step in the right direction.

there is an element of everything in every thing
fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2014, 04:42:26 AM

People are advocating DPoS, not PoS Wink

Read something about BitShares DPoS!

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/DPOS_or_Delegated_Proof_of_Stake
LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 05:44:29 AM

^
Could you elaborate: What would be the final goal of the banks?

In short: power.
They can print all the money they want.

[quotes removed]

Okay, power it is.

Again same problem with PoW and PoS. If an entity holds a majority of coins it can blackmail the market. It doesn't matter if more (=substantially more) coins can be created (nota bene at a decreasing rate and therefore slowly) in the far future.

No, it doesn't. Very weak opium of the people, nobody's gonna fall for that.

-------

Bottom line we need a diversity (not hundreds but maybe a dozen) of cryptos using different technologies but easily tradable.
And if the worst comes to the worst for one of them copy the code and start from scratch.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 05:51:28 AM

... Because PoS is a POS. Grin

LOL. Good one. Cheesy

Fernandez
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 06:34:39 AM

PoS means the rich get richer automatically. Sounds great... if you're rich.

Same thing with Bitcoin, only the rich can afford the big mining equipment needed.

Besides, variants like PoI, DPOS don't follow this. Ther eyou get paid for being useful.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Cheesus

Activity: 692
Merit: 254

terra-credit.com

View Profile
November 19, 2014, 08:42:51 AM

Answering the question in the title: it's easy - no one wants to spend their money on mining equipment that is constantly getting cheaper.

Another reason is - few people already have A LOT of hashing power and they get an advantage compared to a regular folk. And regular folk is not happy with this fact at all Smiley

It is a complex question, but the main thing is this.

In POS, wealth becomes more concentrated at the top over time and there is no way to break your way into the economy without the 'permission' of existing stakeholders.

In POW, although mining costs can and usually become prohibitive, there is always an entry into the economy.

I agree with you regarding the PoS situation, but strongly disagree with PoW.

Mining costs are ramping up with a speed of lightning and reward for block finding is going down. At some point there is no way to enter this economy since there are "top miners" who will simply outmine you.

███████████████████████
  █████████████████████ 
    ███████████████████ 
      █████████████████ 
███████████████████████
          █████████████ 
            ███████████ 
              █████████ 
                ███████ 
                  ████ 
                    ███ 

terracredit