Bitcoin Forum
December 05, 2016, 04:53:20 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Secure Bitcoin for a newbie  (Read 660 times)
SamSamSu

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 03:12:11 PM

Dear "Bitcoin community",
Since months I am investigating into the potential of bitcoin, the idea of a decentralized currency really fascinated me.
I read the guide of aiwk171 "HOWTO: create a 100% secure wallet" with a lot of interest but I must say that I did not succeed until now, every time I fix one issue I m confronted with 10 new problems...

As a newbie, who only used Ubuntu( and other OS) occassionaly I faced many issues, that let me come close to the point that BTC will never be a broader success under this circumstances...

When I created my first bootable USB drive I used http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ I tried to use different Linux operating systems as Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora etc. but I always faced different problems while installing bitcoin.
Later  I gave http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ & unetbootin a try but again everytime there were new issues, one time I could not chose that the OS is persistence, next time the folder size was limited and and and.

@ the moment I created a persistent Ubuntu USB drive but since 30 h Bitcoin is "synchronizing with network" (receiving the blocks) I wonder where that leads me.
Does anyone have a SIMPLE suggestion how to create a fast persistens OS on an USB Drive where I dont have to wait more than 48 h ?! ;=)

Thanks soo much !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 03:20:17 PM

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/

dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 12:18:02 AM

If you want an easy way to create a persistent Linux install, just download Xubuntu, burn it to disk, boot up with it. Plug your USB key (4GB is a good minimal size)  in and have Xubuntu "create a start up disk (in applications/system)" with the USB drive and just set the persistence slider all the way up (if you want to use the whole key).

You will now be able to boot up with the USB key and have persistence. When you boot up with the USB key, just use the "Try" option.

Now in my opinion the article stated is much to paranoid, and "hacking" into your personal fully patched system is much harder than those with "scare tactics" like to admit. Most truly professional "hackers" do not give 2 craps about your personal network or computers.

But for the truly paranoid, the above technique gives you a clean, UN-writable media to boot onto (cd..dvd) for installing the USB version.

Your best protection is really just using a very long password with the built in encryption the wallet provides (Mine for example is 26 characters long).

Even IF your wallet.dat is stolen, short of a professional setup with lots of time and computing power, no amateur "hacker" is going to break it with a long enough password. The professionals are more interested in commercial and bank ventures then wasting time on personal networks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.