Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:05:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does this board exist in the forum?  (Read 20756 times)
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 03:29:08 AM

That is quite cool!

A bit of topic however, how is china doing with Bitcoins? Tongue

It's starting to take off here, we're at the point now in China, where we were about....November in the rest of the world. Except that bitcoin is worth a lot more and difficulty level is sky high.

Because China's slow to the game they're going to have to pay a higher price to come to the bitcoin table, but they'll come allright. It's going to become the most popular way of doing business with someone in the country online.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Atom

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

"Basics Of Generational Dynamics" - Look it up!

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2011, 11:53:34 PM

So, could you elaborate on why you feel the internal market didn't developed, and did you gave them that idea or just hoped for someone to come with it in the inner circle?
Did the students felt that Bitcoins had a value at the beginning apart of the grades and or exchange into local currency offered or implied by you? Did they saw value in Bitcoin after the experiment?
Could you correlate language and writing abilities with a successful entrepreneurship?

Quite good experiment, a school I know is planning on doing the same. Smiley

Really I think the market not developing being due to a lack of entrepreneurial drive by nearly all the students. It's something to do with the environment that they're in here combined with Chinese culture that prevented growth in this area. I did try to encourage an internal market but with no success, although I do think that if you try this somewhere else you probably will be successful.

Perhaps having a kind of market process, like a jobs board or something for a class would kickstart it.

With regards bitcoin value, when we started the project bitcoin was less than $1USD, when we finished it had hit $30, thats a big jump. So in the begining they saw no value but after about a month they began to realise, especially as they saw how others valued it.

Nefario.

Isn't the real issue with the internal market (and frankly the external one too), that most people just don't have many marketable skills they can perform on their own without at least a decent capital investment?  Even something like screening T-shirts has start-up costs - Did your students have any capital going into this, or was it just "Sell what you can get people to buy"

Seems like this concept might be better recieved if it was married with a "This is how to make something that people will actually want" hands-on portion.

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom
A Show for the Bitcoin Universe, Fresh Episodes Weekly!
Episode 3 out now at BitTalk.tv

Liked this weeks episode of BitTalk?  Send us your 2¢ (.02BTC) 
13RVBjpo3xLeDBkB2NM64N8sWK4fariZUu
Nefario

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 02:40:46 AM

The internal market was supposed to develop as teams found out one team was better at some things than others. For example, most teams all had skills that would be needed by other teams. Some teams had better I.T. knowledge, others had better English, and others had a better understanding of bitcoin etc.

The idea was teams would hire each other to do certain parts they couldn't. I even gave each team capital (in bitcoin) at the begining. They never used any of it. No market ever developed.

Most students really had NO marketable skills (marketable to their classmates at least).

Atom

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 03:25:40 AM

Ok.....

In the worlds current education paradigm, that's pretty much standard - Basic education, no marketable skills outside of a factory or corporation.  Now that you've proven what you already knew, why not try teaching them how to do something marketable, and then try it again?

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom

Nefario

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 03:38:42 AM

Ok.....

In the worlds current education paradigm, that's pretty much standard - Basic education, no marketable skills outside of a factory or corporation.  Now that you've proven what you already knew, why not try teaching them how to do something marketable, and then try it again?
Teach them what?

I've got 4 classes of 100 students each, the vast majority of whom have a terrible level of English.

One group actually made two really good Kung Fu movies (10 mins each).

It doesn't seem to be a case of giving them the skills, it's more that... they have no drive or innovation. Some of the students did surprisingly well.

Nefario.

Atom

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 02:45:52 PM

Have they had any previous experiances that would make you expect anything different?   This is my question.  If they have never been entrepreneurial, and have no marketable skills (kung fu movies aside), how could you expect anything different?  Isn't this result the most likely one based on what you knew going in?

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2012, 05:04:22 PM

So 4 months later how many of them still talk of bitcoin? You mentioned the kung-fu video twice. Can you provide a link?

Did the teams get their coins and sell them at 30?

Are you planing to repeat the experiment any soon?

How was your colleagues' reaction?

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 12, 2012, 01:57:01 PM

that question is easily answerable.  nefario moved and now works for intersango exchange in london.  he also developed and operates glbse stock exchange.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2012, 03:08:20 PM

that question is easily answerable.  nefario moved and now works for intersango exchange in london.  he also developed and operates glbse stock exchange.

thanx Smiley

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:10:36 AM

So I was hunting the Chinese Students forum since I wasn't sure what this was on a tour of all these micro subforms on this site but darn now wish I had a prof experimenting with bitcoin back then that 75 Bitcoin would be 7,500 dollars

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:16:00 AM

So I was hunting the Chinese Students forum since I wasn't sure what this was on a tour of all these micro subforms on this site but darn now wish I had a prof experimenting with bitcoin back then that 75 Bitcoin would be 7,500 dollars

Thats nothing:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:42:57 AM

Thats nothing:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0

Haha have not made a trek to the pizza for bitcoins thread that's classic Smiley
Thanks

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 10:19:30 PM

We had a Chinese field trip a loong time ago

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: