Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:07:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FirstBits + VanityGen  (Read 1129 times)
nimda (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 12:27:28 AM

Hi, and sorry that I couldn't figure out where to post this.

Can someone please clear up this problem I'm seeing?
Lets say someone uses firstbits, to come up with something like 1Fwi3gx. From what I see in the VanityGen thread, it would not take long to generate another address with that prefix. What's stopping someone from doing so, in order to receive coins meant for someone else?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 12:36:59 AM

just because you have another address w/ the same prefix it won't have the same firstbit.

The first address starting w/ "1Fwi3gx" might have first bit of "1Fwi3" your 2nd place address might have a first bit of "1Fwi3d".
Nobody looking up "1Fwi3" will ever get anything but the correct address.

If that didn't make sense then just try it yourself and see.  Make 4 addresses have the same prefix.  Send a couple cents to each one and then check their first bits.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 18, 2012, 12:39:58 AM

Lets say someone uses firstbits, to come up with something like 1Fwi3gx. From what I see in the VanityGen thread, it would not take long to generate another address with that prefix. What's stopping someone from doing so, in order to receive coins meant for someone else?

The oldest address in the blockchain that starts with those firstbits is the one that'll be used.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 02:57:44 PM

The oldest address in the blockchain that starts with those firstbits is the one that'll be used.
Yeah, if you use a good firstbits looker-upper. Firstbits.com is major fail when it comes to this, and is often inaccurate. Use blockchain.info.

EDIT: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75665.msg936807#msg936807

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 03:14:04 PM

Yeah, if you use a good firstbits looker-upper. Firstbits.com is major fail when it comes to this, and is often inaccurate. Use blockchain.info.

There is a simple solution, I believe, to this problem, one of which I will pen shortly.

~Bruno~
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 04:17:23 PM

Yes, I'm very sorry. Firstbits.com had some upper/lower case mistakes recently.

It works correctly now. If something still seems wrong please let me know.

Our lookups are often slow also, I suggest you use blockchain.info.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 02, 2012, 04:37:58 PM

For my specific instance, I still am seeing the same problem. Does firstbits.com consider the order of a sendmany transaction?

Also, as one who has implemented the firstbits functionality, how hard to you think it would be to build into the satoshi client, and do you think that would be a good idea?

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2012, 05:14:17 PM

For my specific instance, I still am seeing the same problem. Does firstbits.com consider the order of a sendmany transaction?

Also, as one who has implemented the firstbits functionality, how hard to you think it would be to build into the satoshi client, and do you think that would be a good idea?

I actually have no technical skill at all. I just had the idea and got SgtSpike to implement it. The blockchain.info implementation was done separately.

I'll find out about sendmany and let people know.

I do not think integration into the main client is a good idea. Firstbits is risky, a typo costs real money. Satoshi integration is too much of an endorsement for new users to start using it without really thinking about it.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: