Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:32:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Number of BTC Addresses in use now  (Read 2644 times)
grtthegreat (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2014, 06:21:34 PM

Can anyone tell me that out of 2^160 addresses possible, how many BTC addresses have been used atleast once. Till today, I might have surely used a minimum of 150 addresses.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeAlquezar

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 06:32:06 PM

Can anyone tell me that out of 2^160 addresses possible, how many BTC addresses have been used atleast once. Till today, I might have surely used a minimum of 150 addresses.

Maybe it helps you a bit:

https://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1295

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 06:42:29 PM

https://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses?timespan=all&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

This is probably more of what you are asking for (I think the one above is showing the number of unique addresses seen per day):
http://bitcoinrichlist.com/charts/bitcoin-distribution-by-address?atblock=320000

I don't believe either of these show the total number of addresses that have *ever* had a balance. So an address that had 1 bitcoin 2 years ago, but zero now wouldn't be counted here.  You could calculate that of course by parsing the blockchain.  (It is difficult to tell for sure whether the "0" in the "Bitcoin Balance" is inclusive or not).

Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 07:55:14 PM

This is probably more of what you are asking for (I think the one above is showing the number of unique addresses seen per day):
http://bitcoinrichlist.com/charts/bitcoin-distribution-by-address?atblock=320000

I don't believe either of these show the total number of addresses that have *ever* had a balance. So an address that had 1 bitcoin 2 years ago, but zero now wouldn't be counted here.  You could calculate that of course by parsing the blockchain.  (It is difficult to tell for sure whether the "0" in the "Bitcoin Balance" is inclusive or not).

You can use the Blockchain.info data to compute a very clear upper bound. You see that the peak of addresses used per day is a bit below 250,000. Bitcoin has existed since 03-01-2009, so 2137 days. If every day 250,000 new addresses were used, that would be a total of 534 million addresses, or 5.34 * 10^8, where the total number of possible addresses exceeds 10^48.

Of course, this estimate is way above the actual value, which is probably at least a factor 10 lower. But it does nicely show that the number of addresses that have been used isn't even remotely close to the total size of the address space.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 4505

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 07:59:26 PM

Additionally, its impossible to know how many bitcoin addresses have been created, but which haven't yet received any bitcoins.

For example, I just installed a wallet and I created 20 receiving addresses.  However, I haven't sent any bitcoins to any of these new addresses yet.  Therefore, they don't exist in the blockchain, and until I tell anyone about them, there is no way for anybody to know that they are "in use".

As such, it is nearly impossible to determine how many addresses have been "used".  At best, you can make a estimated guess, but you won't know how close your guess is.

If you just want to know how many addresses have ever received any bitcoins at all, it shouldn't be too difficult to parse the blockchain and count them up.  I'm not sure that the information will be useful for anything, but it wouldn't be difficult to do.

Keep in mind, however, that many bitcoins aren't sent to addresses.  There are P2SH and other types of transactions where the bitcoins are locked by something other than an address.
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 08:08:31 PM

Can anyone tell me that out of 2^160 addresses possible...

How much is 2^160 in a linear format? Or how many quadrillions are there? Are you competing in addresses mining using reverse asics to get some speed?

money is faster...
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
November 10, 2014, 09:49:46 PM

How much is 2^160 in a linear format? Or how many quadrillions are there? Are you competing in addresses mining using reverse asics to get some speed?

According to wolfram alpha...http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2%5E160&dataset=

I think that'll need to wait until the heat death of the universe before we'll have a collision.
El Emperador

Activity: 658

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 08:51:38 PM

A related question: how many total BTC addresses can be created? An endless number or there is a limit?

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 08:55:40 PM

A related question: how many total BTC addresses can be created? An endless number or there is a limit?

While technically there is a limit, the limit is so high that it is essentially "endless" in terms of how we humans are capable of making use of time.

Specifically there are just a bit more than 1.4615 X 1048 possible addresses.
IflotsEgroj

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 10:37:57 PM

Limited in theory, endless in practice.  Wink
arieq

Activity: 364
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 01:10:06 PM

I dont know how to say it in quadrillions but in linear format, 2^160 = 1,460,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 addresses. That's really a big number

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 02:53:57 PM

Additionally, its impossible to know how many bitcoin addresses have been created, but which haven't yet received any bitcoins.

So basically, counting used bitcoin addresses is near to impossible, so why doesn't Blockchain.info and similar doesn't show any warning/messages about this? Huh

I dont know how to say it in quadrillions but in linear format, 2^160 = 1,460,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 addresses. That's really a big number

Don't worry! 1 quindecillion 461 quattuordecillion 501 tredecillion 637 duodecillion 330 undecillion 902 decillion 918 nonillion 203 octillion 684 septillion 832 sextillion 716 quintillion 283 quadrillion 19 trillion 655 billion 932 million 542 thousand 976 (source WolframAlpha). Wink

~~MZ~~

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:00:59 PM

So basically, counting used bitcoin addresses is near to impossible, so why doesn't Blockchain.info and similar doesn't show any warning/messages about this? Huh

Warning about what?

Why would it matter whether or not you can count the generated but unused bitcoin addresses?
Muhammed Zakir

Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 03:11:09 PM

Warning about what?

I meant Blockchain.info and similar shows the number of used address, isn't it misleading as it isn't accurate? or is it accurate? Huh

Why would it matter whether or not you can count the generated but unused bitcoin addresses?

I don't think I can count unused address, I mentioned about used addresses and amount shown in websites. Smiley

~~MZ~~

locopao
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:19:53 PM

Sounds like Scrooge McDuck's wealth  Grin
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:36:53 PM

Warning about what?
I meant Blockchain.info and similar shows the number of used address, isn't it misleading as it isn't accurate? or is it accurate? Huh

I assume you are talking about this chart:
https://blockchain.info/charts/n-unique-addresses

In that case, when blockchain.info reports "unique bitcoin addresses used", they are talking about addresses that have received bitcoins on that day.  It is quite easy to count the addresses that receive bitcoins.  What is impossible is to know how many new addresses were generated which haven't received any bitcoins at those new addresses yet.

I don't think I can count unused address, I mentioned about used addresses and amount shown in websites. Smiley

It all depends on what you mean by "used addresses".  In my comment that you replied to, I made it clear that I was talking about addresses that had not yet received bitcoins:

You replied to this stating that "counting used bitcoin addresses is impossible".

That would imply that when you say "used bitcoin addresses", you are talking about bitcoin addresses that have been created, but which haven't yet received any bitcoins.

If you want to know how many unique addresses have received bitcoins that are confirmed in the blockchain, that can be counted and known.

If you want to know how many unique addresses have been generated in peoples wallets, that cannot be counted or known.
faince222

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:39:35 PM

BTC Addresses in use now are around 200-250.000. Number of BTC addresses are increased so much in confront of the last year. Next year we will see something of very good Smiley
LOBSTER

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:52:02 PM

The number of addresses will increase also, if we have one satoshi / address...this is coming in the next years.
faeyza

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:35:02 PM

BTC Addresses in use now are around 200-250.000. Number of BTC addresses are increased so much in confront of the last year. Next year we will see something of very good Smiley
its good news
thanks for info Wink

DiabolusLoki

Activity: 249

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 05:58:28 PM

I think around 1/4 are owned by exchanges/gambling sites.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: