Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:00:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: shift.exchange is a scam (clone of ShapeShift.io)  (Read 2277 times)
ShapeShift.io (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

Follow us on our new account ShapeShift.com

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2014, 07:21:15 PM

Hello all,

Quick PSA, we came across a clone scam site today, shift.exchange (that's the URL).
It's a clone of us, ShapeShift.io.

If anyone has info regarding who they are, please PM us. Possible bounty for material information.

Thanks,
ShapeShift.io

Follow us on our new profile: ShapeShift.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
limbosystem

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 10:35:55 PM

I just exchanged a couple of emails with a guy from shift.exchange because he posted a job listing on craigslist that I responded to. The details of the job sounded shady, so I googled them and I ended up here. Thanks for the post. I can copy/paste the emails if that would be helpful to you, though there wasn't any really sensitive info exchanged.
ShapeShift.io (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 10:43:20 PM

I just exchanged a couple of emails with a guy from shift.exchange because he posted a job listing on craigslist that I responded to. The details of the job sounded shady, so I googled them and I ended up here. Thanks for the post, and I can copy/paste the emails if that would be helpful to you.

Hi, thank you! Yes please post any information you have on this guy and what he's been saying. Good to make this stuff public.

Are you the same person that emailed us also regarding this?

limbosystem

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 10:50:13 PM

No, I'm not that person but I'm glad to have stumbled my way in here. Here are the emails he sent to me, I only edited out my name and junk:

Thank you for your interest in our offer.
This job can be easily done from home or incorporated in your daily routine, as a side job.

We are a British company specialized in buying/selling, exchanging and brokering of electronic currencies. 
We do not yet have a physical presence in America, but in order to optimize our activity in the US, we are hiring industrious and responsible people for the position of operations manager.
The position implies taking deposits from customers and settling purchase orders with our main US-based digital currency suppliers in a timely fashion.
There is also the distinct possibility to be as involved as desired.

We are offering a base salary of $1,000, paid at the end of every month and an instant 5% commission from each processed transaction.
The ideal candidate would have to be a very serious and ethical person, as the position involves handling cash.
The purpose of this position is for the company to gain an edge over the competition through speediness, efficiency and lower transaction costs.
We already have a solid US client base and the position would not involve finding leads or new clients.

I will be glad to explain things further and answer any questions you might have if the position is of interest to you.

--
Martin Brazda
Partnership Manager
partners@shift.exchange
http://shift.exchange

To get started, things are quite simple. It would not require more than 2 hours a day, on the days that there are transactions to be processed.
Deposits would be performed by bank transfer and direct wire transfer.
One can limit the activity to solely receiving and processing wire transfers or also choose to meet with customers for cash deposits.
Ideally, clients would be able to transfer within their own bank, instantly and free of charge.
You would have to apply for a new personal account with one of the following banks, to be used exclusively for this role:
TD Bank, Citibank, HSBC Bank or PNC Bank. These are the most bitcoin-friendly banks.
Bitcoin is not yet regulated and you can accept funds to your personal account in exchange for bitcoins without any problem.

As far as due diligence for wires/transfer is concerned, our order validation department will be conducting a thorough analysis of every client and transaction prior to giving the green light for any incoming payments. We also work with a 3rd party global security firm for client verification and the methods employed are quite effective, especially for US clients, where online verification systems are the most efficient and have the most information at hand. Having such a system in place is essential in our line of work..
There is no risk of receiving fraudulent funds to your account, as the security team has more than 5 years experience in this field. So far we have had a few attempts, but no successful fraudulent transaction to or from our accounts.

From our estimates, your total monthly earnings would range between $2,500 and $4,500. The monthly salary would be transferred to your account at the end of every month and you would be holding the commission from each transaction as these are processed.
The ideal candidate would have to be a very serious and ethical person, as once receipt of funds is confirmed, electronic currency gets credited to the client's account instantly.
Our aim with this position is to form a group of reliable associates, capable of managing our company's future US operation, if this proves to be as feasible as we predict.

Our clients generally wish to purchase cryptocurrencies, bitcoin especially, be it as an investment, to spend on products or services or to trade on the bitcoin markets, for speculative profits.
Our coins suppliers are first-hand cryptocurrency miners, who offer the best prices on the market, but only sell in bulk. We, as a digital currency exchange, can guarantee them a certain monthly volume.
In order to avoid complications, the risk of fraudulent transactions and the need to conduct due diligence, these private sellers only accept payment by direct cash deposit at a bank teller.
Bitcoins are credited minutes after a payment is confirmed. Fast, easy and stress-free.

A regular transaction would look like this:
- A client registers an order with us
- The client sends funds to your account by wire transfer
- after the funds clear, you withdraw the funds in cash
- We place a buy order with our bitcoin brokers
- You receive depositing instructions to you as soon as the broker locates the requested amount
- You  deposit the funds into the indicated seller's account, in person at a teller's desk, usually at Bank of America
- The transaction is processed and complete.

As soon as you are ready to proceed and everything is clear, I will follow up with a contract for you to review.
I am looking forward to your reply.

--
Martin Brazda
Partnership Manager
partners@shift.exchange

Conveniently, I can't find the craigslist ad anymore. Hmmm
ShapeShift.io (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 12:16:02 AM

Wow.

At first we just thought this was a scam to get people to do cryptocurrency trades (which they wouldn't process and would just steal). But after reading that, it looks more like a bank scam or money laundering operation. Thanks for the info.

ShapeShift.io (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 12:18:47 AM

We were emailed by another person who found this scam, and there was a third email that the guys sends:

Hi [redacted],

That sounds perfect. Looking forward to get things going asap.
I have attached a contract for you to read and fill out.
When you are ready,  please sign and return it to me, together with the bank account details.  As soon as the account is ready and we have it on file, we can begin assigning orders to your account.
TD Bank has the easiest account opening procedure. You should open a basic personal checking account. Nothing extra would be necessary.

Bank account details should be in the following format:

Account Holder Name:
Address:
Account Number:
Routing Number:
Bank Name:
Bank Address:

It should be pretty obvious to all readers that shift.exchange is a scam. Stay away. "Martin Brazda" is probably a fake name, but clearly a scammer.

ShapeShift.io (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 12:21:47 AM

We were also emailed the actual craigslist advertisement:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/etc/4753961152.html

Text from the ad in case it's pulled:
Light schedule home office job (brooklyn)

compensation: Fixed monthly compensation + commissions & bonuses.

contract job part-time
telecommuting okay
Rapidly growing e-commerce firm looking to hire immediately.

Anyone is welcome to apply, full training provided.

We are looking for organised and responsible candidates who want growth and stability.

Don't forget to include a contact number with your application.

Basic computer knowledge is a plus, but not a requirement.

Email contact from that ad was: apply@shift.exchange

ShapeShift.io (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 12:31:00 AM
Last edit: November 12, 2014, 12:44:57 AM by ShapeShift.io

We were emailed a copy of the "employment contract" given to people who responded to the Craigslist ad.

The company listed in this contract (the "employer"), is:
Bittrade Limited
company no. 08473465
47 Dalkeith Road, Harpenden, AL5 5PP, UK

So.... now it seems that the scammer is whomever owns Bittrade Limited.

And a quick Google search brings up:
https://www.opencompany.co.uk/company/08473465/bittrade-ltd

"Mr Luke William Fitzgerald" is listed as the Director.

And here's a Luke Fitzgerald into crypto... https://twitter.com/darkip

rmwjr1989

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 18, 2014, 08:33:44 PM

I too had an encounter with this person. I live in Chicago. Heres a copy of our transcripts. I was just about to set something up with him. Still currently in contact with him if youre interested in further info I could probably help you out.

Re: Light schedule home office job
Inbox
x

Martin Brazda <apply@shift.exchange>
Nov 17 (1 day ago)

to me
Hello Robert, 

Thank you for your interest in our offer.
This job can be easily done from home or incorporated in your daily routine, as a side job.

We are a British company specialized in buying/selling, exchanging and brokering of electronic currencies. 
We do not yet have a physical presence in America, but in order to optimize our activity in the US, we are hiring industrious and responsible people for the position of operations manager.
The position implies taking deposits from customers and settling purchase orders with our main US-based digital currency suppliers in a timely fashion.
There is also the distinct possibility to be as involved as desired.

We are offering a base salary of $1,000, paid at the end of every month and an instant 5% commission from each processed transaction.
The ideal candidate would have to be a very serious and ethical person, as the position involves handling cash.
The purpose of this position is for the company to gain an edge over the competition through speediness, efficiency and lower transaction costs.
We already have a solid US client base and the position would not involve finding leads or new clients.

I will be glad to explain things further and answer any questions you might have if the position is of interest to you.

--
Martin Brazda
Partnership Manager
partners@shift.exchange

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Robert Welch <391dd3810d683c23802a114eaa541a17@reply.craigslist.org> wrote:
Hello I was wondering if you still had a part time position available and if so what are the requirements? You can contact me via email or at 618-974-2748.  I have also attached a copy of my resume. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Robert Welch

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/csr/4750778461.html

Original craigslist post:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/csr/4750778461.html
About craigslist mail:
http://craigslist.org/about/help/email-relay
Please flag unwanted messages (spam, scam, other):
http://craigslist.org/mf/3979e229bbd8777f1a4b43ffac334997e601793c.1

Martin Brazda
3:18 AM (11 hours ago)

to me
Hi Robert,

To get started, things are quite simple. It would not require more than 2 hours a day, on the days that there are transactions to be processed.
Deposits would be performed by bank transfer and direct wire transfer.
One can limit the activity to solely receiving and processing wire transfers or also choose to meet with customers for cash deposits.
Ideally, clients would be able to transfer within their own bank, instantly and free of charge.
You would have to apply for a new personal account with one of the following banks, to be used exclusively for this role:
TD Bank, Citibank, HSBC Bank or PNC Bank. These are the most bitcoin-friendly banks.
Bitcoin is not yet regulated and you can accept funds to your personal account in exchange for bitcoins without any problem.

As far as due diligence for wires/transfer is concerned, our order validation department will be conducting a thorough analysis of every client and transaction prior to giving the green light for any incoming payments. We also work with a 3rd party global security firm for client verification and the methods employed are quite effective, especially for US clients, where online verification systems are the most efficient and have the most information at hand. Having such a system in place is essential in our line of work..
There is no risk of receiving fraudulent funds to your account, as the security team has more than 5 years experience in this field. So far we have had a few attempts, but no successful fraudulent transaction to or from our accounts.

From our estimates, your total monthly earnings would range between $2,500 and $4,500. The monthly salary would be transferred to your account at the end of every month and you would be holding the commission from each transaction as these are processed.
The ideal candidate would have to be a very serious and ethical person, as once receipt of funds is confirmed, electronic currency gets credited to the client's account instantly.
Our aim with this position is to form a group of reliable associates, capable of managing our company's future US operation, if this proves to be as feasible as we predict.

Our clients generally wish to purchase cryptocurrencies, bitcoin especially, be it as an investment, to spend on products or services or to trade on the bitcoin markets, for speculative profits.
Our coins suppliers are first-hand cryptocurrency miners, who offer the best prices on the market, but only sell in bulk. We, as a digital currency exchange, can guarantee them a certain monthly volume.
In order to avoid complications, the risk of fraudulent transactions and the need to conduct due diligence, these private sellers only accept payment by direct cash deposit at a bank teller.
Bitcoins are credited minutes after a payment is confirmed. Fast, easy and stress-free.

A regular transaction would look like this:
- A client registers an order with us
- The client sends funds to your account by wire transfer
- after the funds clear, you withdraw the funds in cash
- We place a buy order with our bitcoin brokers
- You receive depositing instructions to you as soon as the broker locates the requested amount
- You  deposit the funds into the indicated seller's account, in person at a teller's desk, usually at Bank of America
- The transaction is processed and complete.

As soon as you are ready to proceed and everything is clear, I will follow up with a contract for you to review.
I am looking forward to your reply.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: