Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:31:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My friend's band...  (Read 1067 times)
geebus (OP)

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 02:20:33 PM

I have a friend trying to raise money for mixing/mastering on his band's new album... they have an IndieGogo page, but they're also accepting Bitcoin donations (read the bottom of the page).

He wants to offer some sort of bitcoin related "perk" on the fundraiser, or something of that nature that could be cool/unique for the Bitcoin community, and is looking for suggestions.

I suggested possibly printing the bitcoin symbol or a "funded by Bitcoin" on the album artwork, if he gets enough of the donations in BTC.

Any ideas?

Feel like donating to me? BTC Address: 14eUVSgBSzLpHXGAfbN9BojXTWvTb91SHJ
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3053

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2012, 04:40:31 PM

Raise the money by playing local gigs. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 05:11:55 PM

If anyone wants my attention, any page they present us with better have a BIG ASS BITCOIN ACCEPTED HERE logo emblazed on it or I'm probably just going to roll my eyes and move on to the next post.

edit: I realize there's a mention of Bitcoin, but it does not jump out at me, nor would it for the casual non-bitcoiner visiting the page - which is a pretty big deal for me.

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 05:27:18 PM

Super secret download of a non-album track just for bitcoin supporters, but let everyone know it out there.
Huge banner advertising.
Bitcoin logo tattooed on the lead singer, shown prominently at all shows.
Custom print cd's sold at shows with the image of the bitcoin for the entire background, and make all liners notes encrypted that require a satoshi or two to unlock.

And if you really want a lot of creative help... let us know a little bit more about the band. The name suggests some concern for the environment, or a disagreement with current government policies. If you have an agenda, play it up.

And knowing what the sound is would help a lot. If it's country, or whiny emo tripe, the free taste above is all you will see from me; if it is Newfoundland drinking jigs and reels with a contemporary twist, well I could probably line up a whole production and distribution deal for you.

And finally- shop around for a better production deal. Five grand sounds a lot like an engineering solution designed to liberate a lot of money from a start-up band, unless you are getting some amazing engineer/producer who has the magical ability to get you signed with a major label on the power of your first indie release. Otherwise, look to crafting it yourselves, you will get a lot more bang for your buck.
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 05:38:46 PM

I have a friend trying to raise money for mixing/mastering on his band's new album... they have an IndieGogo page, but they're also accepting Bitcoin donations (read the bottom of the page).

He wants to offer some sort of bitcoin related "perk" on the fundraiser, or something of that nature that could be cool/unique for the Bitcoin community, and is looking for suggestions.

I suggested possibly printing the bitcoin symbol or a "funded by Bitcoin" on the album artwork, if he gets enough of the donations in BTC.

Any ideas?

First off, what genre of music is this ?

I am only willing to donate if they are either a Metalcore or Melodic Death Metal band (think: Trivium, All That Remains, It Dies Today).
Hardcore/Post-Hardcore are also options that I would strongly consider (Hatebreed, Refused...even Slipknot)

As long as it's nothing gay like any of that 'Computer-Crap' or this-'step' that-'step' kinda trash that can only be truly enjoyed by someone high on Ecstasy, wearing a glow-stick lanyard-made necklace, sucking on a soother.

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 08:05:55 PM

First off, what genre of music is this ?

I am only willing to donate if they are either a Metalcore or Melodic Death Metal band (think: Trivium, All That Remains, It Dies Today).
Hardcore/Post-Hardcore are also options that I would strongly consider (Hatebreed, Refused...even Slipknot)

As long as it's nothing gay like any of that 'Computer-Crap' or this-'step' that-'step' kinda trash that can only be truly enjoyed by someone high on Ecstasy, wearing a glow-stick lanyard-made necklace, sucking on a soother.

There are a lot of music genres between those extremes of "gay" and psychotic.   lol

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 08:14:17 PM

There are a lot of music genres between those extremes of "gay" and psychotic.   lol

Sure. It's called Country Wink

Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
June 04, 2012, 08:37:10 PM

Sure. It's called Country Wink

"Hey, you know something people? I'm not black, but there's a whole lots a times I wish I could say I'm not white."

"Most people wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the ass."

Grin
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 09:17:49 PM

I always thought of gay music as something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_%28band%29 or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronski_Beat.

Seriously though.... if the music is good it will sell itself.  I know of two bands that have mostly ditched the modern label representation (though they do have labels with non-traditional label contracts) and make basically their living off of CD sales and gigs.  These bands have two things in common.  They interact with their fans online readily and they do not take a hard line on music 'piracy'.  Oh, and their music is good!

geebus (OP)

Activity: 258

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2012, 09:28:57 PM

If anyone wants my attention, any page they present us with better have a BIG ASS BITCOIN ACCEPTED HERE logo emblazed on it or I'm probably just going to roll my eyes and move on to the next post.

edit: I realize there's a mention of Bitcoin, but it does not jump out at me, nor would it for the casual non-bitcoiner visiting the page - which is a pretty big deal for me.

I'll tell him to add an image to the page.

Super secret download of a non-album track just for bitcoin supporters, but let everyone know it out there.
Huge banner advertising.
Bitcoin logo tattooed on the lead singer, shown prominently at all shows.
Custom print cd's sold at shows with the image of the bitcoin for the entire background, and make all liners notes encrypted that require a satoshi or two to unlock.

And if you really want a lot of creative help... let us know a little bit more about the band. The name suggests some concern for the environment, or a disagreement with current government policies. If you have an agenda, play it up.

All odd, but interesting ideas...

And knowing what the sound is would help a lot. If it's country, or whiny emo tripe, the free taste above is all you will see from me; if it is Newfoundland drinking jigs and reels with a contemporary twist, well I could probably line up a whole production and distribution deal for you.

And finally- shop around for a better production deal. Five grand sounds a lot like an engineering solution designed to liberate a lot of money from a start-up band, unless you are getting some amazing engineer/producer who has the magical ability to get you signed with a major label on the power of your first indie release. Otherwise, look to crafting it yourselves, you will get a lot more bang for your buck.

It's pop/rock/punk type stuff... I think? I'm not good at defining music by genre, but I think it's a good enough guess.

As far as the producer goes, I think only a large portion is for the producer, and I don't know many of the details, but I've heard mention of some sort of management/marketing thing that goes along with it, so there might be more to it than I'm aware of.

Feel like donating to me? BTC Address: 14eUVSgBSzLpHXGAfbN9BojXTWvTb91SHJ
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 05, 2012, 02:56:42 AM

I always thought of gay music as something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_%28band%29 or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronski_Beat.

Seriously though.... if the music is good it will sell itself.  I know of two bands that have mostly ditched the modern label representation (though they do have labels with non-traditional label contracts) and make basically their living off of CD sales and gigs.  These bands have two things in common.  They interact with their fans online readily and they do not take a hard line on music 'piracy'.  Oh, and their music is good!

Bronski Beat? Wankers. (Quite literally I might add.) Go Old School, or Go Home. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Robinson_Band
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: