Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:03:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 99 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BITMAIN announces Antpool  (Read 382738 times)
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 02:55:36 PM

Actually, I can see how to pull off the "regular" pool on top of p2pool.  When p2pool mining, you must supply your BTC wallet address, and it must be valid.  If it isn't, your hash rate is directed towards the node's payout wallet.  Try it some time.  Start up your own node and connect to it with a user name of anything BUT a BTC address.

Now you just place a typical PPLNS framework on top of your node.  People register with a user name.  When they connect with that name, since it's not a BTC address, their hash rate gets added to the node's default address.  Now you have all of this hashing power on one address that is contributing to the share chain.  As soon as a block is found, that address is paid.  Then, you just divvy out the payment to the miners based on a standard PPLNS system.

So... I can see how it can be done, but it adds a centralized feeling to an inherently decentralized protocol.  In other words, for this magic to work, you simply cannot move from node to node as you can with a regular p2pool node.  The new node you move to / register with has no knowledge of any work you personally have contributed on another node.  Basically what I've described as a possible approach does nothing more than give people the ability to setup and run their own traditional pools using the p2pool network as a backend framework.  Sure, it solves the "small miner" issue, but at what cost?

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 02:59:49 PM

Now you just place a typical PPLNS framework on top of your node.  People register with a user name.  When they connect with that name, since it's not a BTC address, their hash rate gets added to the node's default address.  Now you have all of this hashing power on one address that is contributing to the share chain.  As soon as a block is found, that address is paid.  Then, you just divvy out the payment to the miners based on a standard PPLNS system.

That does nothing to solve the lost work due to the short p2pool share time.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 03:14:52 PM

Now you just place a typical PPLNS framework on top of your node.  People register with a user name.  When they connect with that name, since it's not a BTC address, their hash rate gets added to the node's default address.  Now you have all of this hashing power on one address that is contributing to the share chain.  As soon as a block is found, that address is paid.  Then, you just divvy out the payment to the miners based on a standard PPLNS system.

That does nothing to solve the lost work due to the short p2pool share time.
No, it doesn't, and I didn't state that this would address it.  All I stated was how you could put a traditional PPLNS payout framework on top of a p2pool backend.  The frequent restarts... now there's a problem that needs solving, and I'm not sure Bitmain has pulled it off.  Will certainly need to see what they're attempting if/when they actually do drop their source code in github.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 03:45:56 PM

Okay, there was some confusion over the word 'solo' when it was translated, it will get corrected in the announcement and site tomorrow but here is the gist of it.

What has been referred to as 'solo' (stratum.antpool.com:3333, or solo.antpool.com:3333, solo.antpool.com:25) is NOT individual miners trying to find ~25btc blocks. It is an independent pool run by Bitmain. The P2P side of things (p2p.antpool.com:3333 and p2p.antpool.com:25) is separate, and tacks on to the current p2p network [I don't have more information in regards to its technical set up as p2p has only just gone live].

tldr, solo = bitmain's pool, NOT p2p and NOT solo mining,
p2p = p2p

windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 04:08:56 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2014, 04:23:30 PM by windpath

As far as I can see p2p.antpool.com:3333 looks like a standard node, with a single miner @ ~ 4TH/s, that has yet to even find a share?

Here is the node address payout history (or lack there of): http://minefast.coincadence.com/miner.php?id=1MjeEv3WDgycrEaaNeSESrWvRfkU6s81TX

Edit: Where is the latency based routing they talked about? I'm hitting from the US East coast and being routed to 182.92.226.212, in China.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 04:20:12 PM

As far as I can see it looks like a standard node, with a single miner @ ~ 4TH/s, that has yet to even find a share?

Here is the node address payout history (or lack there of): http://minefast.coincadence.com/miner.php?id=1MjeEv3WDgycrEaaNeSESrWvRfkU6s81TX

Well, the node's been up for less than half an hour.  So much for their "extensive testing" claims.  Standard p2pool default front end.  Only thing different is they've exposed port 3333 instead of the typical 9332.

IYFTech

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:02:42 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2014, 06:17:27 PM by IYFTech

What?!  Is he for real?  Cheesy Cheesy

Wrong again dogie, wrong again........ Roll Eyes

So I'm an official shill in his book now am I? Cool.

Edit: Wait, why hasn't he left me any? That's not fair - I want some......... Cheesy

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
norgan

Activity: 308

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 08:38:50 PM

They aren't providing a charity as they are pocketing the transaction fees. What they appear to be doing is providing an agent as such. A mechanism whereby you mine on their node to the default address that then appears as a larger miner. Since its larger there is less variance. They are then calculating the shares to miners on the node and paying them from that nodes wallet.
It is centralizing the smaller miners but still hashing on p2pool's sharechain.
It's a novel approach to trying to solve variance and similar to having a secondary sharechain. It will be interesting to see the code and how it works out the subchain payments.
I must say it does sound like what Kano and ck have been doing, like a ckpool instance connecting to a p2pool backend.

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 08:44:57 PM

Don't forget that even if they end up being just one node in any p2pool network - be it the existing one or a new one, they will be far more than 51% of that network meaning it's as good as a centralised pool.

Like I said, they're paying homage to the idea of decentralisation because clients are demanding it so it makes for good marketing on their part. While them contributing to p2pool is most welcome, I see no sign of any of the alleged decentralisation.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
norgan

Activity: 308

Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 08:52:37 PM

Don't forget that even if they end up being just one node in any p2pool network - be it the existing one or a new one, they will be far more than 51% of that network meaning it's as good as a centralised pool.

Like I said, they're paying homage to the idea of decentralisation because clients are demanding it so it makes for good marketing on their part. While them contributing to p2pool is most welcome, I see no sign of any of the alleged decentralisation.
I think they intend on open sourcing the code so that existing nodes can then provide a "team" hashing effort while giving the node operator a way of paying out miners in that "team".
Problem there of course is we then have a burden of trust back on the miners towards the node operator.
I think its a step in the right direction though and a compromise between single central pools and the P2pool model.
That way you wouldn't have all miners on one node, you could still have local nodes to reduce latency. You would of course loose the freedom of moving between nodes without loosing your shares unless somehow the shares can be communicated to another node, a bit hard when the sharechain is tracking shares for the nodes wallet and not the miner itself.

Miner, tech geek, operator of NorgzPool - Sydney Australia P2Pool Node creator of p2pool fancy front end

Tips: 1NorganBbymShTN2MMpfGzRYJF8mcPeXjv Exchange BTC locally in Australia or Donate to p2pool miners
OVRGRO

Activity: 478

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 10:17:38 PM

quick little FYI support tickets for antpool seem to go nowhere... i tripled my donation rate because how impressed i am with the customer service  Wink  shit at one point i was averaging over 1T for 10 minutes with 1 s3+, the other was pulling about 800g lol 1.8t with 2 s3  Roll Eyes
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 11:09:27 PM

quick little FYI support tickets for antpool seem to go nowhere... i tripled my donation rate because how impressed i am with the customer service  Wink  shit at one point i was averaging over 1T for 10 minutes with 1 s3+, the other was pulling about 800g lol 1.8t with 2 s3  Roll Eyes

Seems to work for me, or do you mean a different page?

https://www.bitmaintech.com/about.htm

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 11:12:42 PM

The idea isn't to simply be the largest part of P2P, the idea is that they're investing time and money into developing the code for a pool sitting on p2p so others can do the same. As more people join P2P, they can put more hash rate onto P2P as appropriate.

I'm not sure exactly what option you're giving them to reach decentralisation otherwise. You want everyone on P2P -> but not if they're too big -> want them to do what?

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 11:14:49 PM

Well, the node's been up for less than half an hour.  So much for their "extensive testing" claims.  Standard p2pool default front end.  Only thing different is they've exposed port 3333 instead of the typical 9332.

The non P2P pool is what was tested for months and months.

BITMAIN (OP)

Activity: 741
Merit: 514

https://www.bitmain.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2014, 07:19:59 AM

Hi ckolivas,

Yes p2p.antpool.com is only a node of p2pool network, but it brings more hashrate to the p2pool network. As mentioned in the announcement, we think we need to add hashrate to p2pool network first, to make the output more stable, then lots of p2pool nodes will show up. Finally, there will be a denctralized p2pool network.

Cloud Mining? Just Go to Hashnest.com          Best Liquidity   Lowest Price   100% Real Mining Back Up
Solemn

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 08:24:40 AM
Last edit: November 14, 2014, 09:19:50 AM by Solemn

Well, I pointed a bit of hash power at AntPool a little over two days ago just to try it out, (Bitminter is my home) because I'm a "learn by doing" type of guy and really like the AntMiners I've got thus far.  Unfortunately, it's looking to be a very short run experiment.  So far, besides the incredibly inaccurate worker speed graph my biggest problem is that:

I HAVEN'T BEEN PAID!

I've been through two "automatic" payment cycles with balances above 0.01 with no joy. And now the settings pages doesn't even show the BTC address that I set up.  I have sent an email to info@bitmaintech as well as a support ticket (which appeared to disappear as soon as I selected "create, and is not listed on the left hand menu under "my tickets").  

I don't post much on here for a variety of reasons but this debacle has prompted me to reachout in a last ditch effort to get a bit of assistance from....well anyone related to bitmaintech...

Did I mention that there is no manual method for me to get my earnings, which I admit, wouldn't be an issue if the "automatic" payment system was working for me!  But it isn't...

-Edit:  14/11/14 - Just got an email from Bitmaintech asking when I started mining and repeating when the automatic payouts are supposed to happen. I've been mining since the 12th. and had enough to meet the min on the first day.  I can forgive the payout not happening on the first day...but it should have happened on the 14th!
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 08:52:35 AM

Hi ckolivas,

Yes p2p.antpool.com is only a node of p2pool network, but it brings more hashrate to the p2pool network. As mentioned in the announcement, we think we need to add hashrate to p2pool network first, to make the output more stable, then lots of p2pool nodes will show up. Finally, there will be a denctralized p2pool network.
Can i ask how much are you paying for your dedicated servers all over the world? And how many qualified people are involved in this project?  My rough estimate is that you are spending 3-5K USD monthly for your pool project.
The big question is:

How do you cover your costs having in mind it is 0% fee pool?
Thank you
PS: we all know that the Decentralization idea is very good but it brings you 0 USD in return!

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2014, 10:29:30 AM

Transaction fees will cover some costs, but read the OP as to 'why' generally.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2014, 10:30:57 AM

I HAVEN'T BEEN PAID!

And now the settings pages doesn't even show the BTC address that I set up.

That would be why, how can they pay you if there isn't an address on your account. Did you verify the address via the link sent by email?

loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 10:36:10 AM

Transaction fees will cover some costs, but read the OP as to 'why' generally.
Come on dogie,
TX Fees Grin
The fees can not pay even electricity for the servers alone. This is just a simple math. I do not have free time to loose to do the math/ but please feel free to prove me wrong Wink

--------------------------
but read the OP as to 'why' generally.
-----------------------

I do not need to. I will leave this task to other folks Wink

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 99 »
  Print  

Jump to: